Palmer & Renntec windshield & rack surveys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Palmer & Renntec windshield & rack surveys

Howdy!

I am down to my last 2 big 3rd party vendor purchases for a new bike, the shield system and the rear rack system (I will just tie-down soft luggage to rack, if needed.) Both the companies I do not know the most about are British, so please do not continue reading if you are tax sensitive or do not like incomplete deceptive ads. I always think I have it all covered from 4 or 5 different separate tax charges, when dealing with UK (or Australia), and end up with another $90 plopped on my credit card from last minute Queen's tax.

Of course this changes the cost benefit comparisons and after the fact: 2 months after you bought it! No one in UK knows anything about it until it's history. Maybe that's why I don't see a lot here about these companies! No one knows anything about the Queen's tax except it sucks, and is about $90 per $100 spent/shipped (on top of 4 or 5 separate tax and shipping charges charged before shipping.)
NOTE: that's RETAIL dollars/gbp taxed. They have gov't workers finding retail dollars on every sale item and adding sequential Queen's tax rate up as if you were fool enough to pay retail on an obsolete/old part.

The first company I do not see a whole lot about is Palmer.

http://s410372035.initial-website.co...rsys-650-2010/

Their windshield kit looks exactly like the Madstad Engineering windscreen adjustable brackets ($276, including windscreen.) Palmers with hand-adjustment knobs is 67.5 gpb (10 more for black paint) X 1.2 (up front ship/tax rate) x 1.55 (gbp/usd rate) = $126 times queen tax 2 months after you buy it when you receive it (x 1.9) = $239. So Madstad gives you black paint and a windshield for $280 (est. about $120 for large shield difference).

I really don't need the adjustability because I'll have the Givi AirFlow shields. What the AirFlow does is it compresses the air over your head at any speed: so the shield adjustment would be minutia in comparison (although still better with both I'm sure, but it is STILL variable and requires constant adjustment with speeds/wind direction.) Some adjustment would help me dial it in faster/better. I will check Madstad's price without the windshield before I totally scrap the idea. All I'll have to do is replace the stock fasteners with 1/4" nylon screws and ss nuts for larger wind pressure surface, which is starting to sound better after doing the math. UK vendors always sound great until you add the 90% Queen's tax on top of 20% Queen's tax and shipping (i.e. a seemingly good deal of $104 (67.5 gbp) turns into a nasty $239 after 2 months of waiting and absolutely no warning from any bloke in the UK. Yeah, I can now pretty much do without this unless deemed necessary, and I'll probably deal with MadStad like other members here have.

My next product from Palmer which seem interesting, or initially cost competitive was their rack.

With side brackets (for side cases??) complete (and no 10gbp black paint) for 109gbp (x 1.2 initial queens tax x 1.55 gbp conversion rate x 1.9 the queen's great/late/phantom screw-you tax) = $385, wow. That $168 balloned up quickly too. F&#k the Queen! However the rack did not look bad, and they kept referring to pictures of a backrest that were not there. So if you live in the UK, it might be unlimited choice of nice things at a bargain, but I would not be bold enough to proclaim that given the over 200% taxed items looked at.

Last edited by kawdog; 12-25-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

The next item up is the Renntec rack. The cheapest initial price I could get is from Motobars http://motobars.com/proddetail.asp?prod=REN7328B

It is from UK, but this is a US vendor, so I don't know if they could get away with the Queen's tax scam too: but I'd almost want it in writing, ha ha. It looks great and it totals up around $174. But this partial pic is all I see unless there are pics here somewhere on this site. I've heard of a lot of interference fitting problems so this partial pic does not quite show anything to me except looks good on a microscopic pic.

Givi is more of an international company with some quite high quality products.
Here is a rack for $91 initially. I just don't know if I can use these braces connected with a plastic rack like a real steel rack.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...rsys-2010-2014

The parts do not look like the assembly seen elsewhere like the description. But it is the price leader and if you can get a good price at Revzilla, they do not add anything on top of it. That $91 is all you will pay. But racks are more complicated with the frame, lifting the bike on the centerstand (!!), and other parts intersecting/shielded/vibrating. Givi is a great company in this age of worldwide vendor pirates. Except with the plastic rack body, anything additional like a padded sissy bar would have to be an independent structure. Oh well, I can evolve with the soft bags. I now need to get my valves checked, brake fluid changed, and...

All I see is a pic of parts with a plastic rack or the 2 braces holding up a Givi trunk. I probably need to look further to find a gd simple steel rack

Last edited by kawdog; 12-25-2014 at 10:35 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 09:56 AM

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...aki-versys-er6

Pic does not do this rack justice. It's very nice.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...aki-versys-er6

Pic does not do this rack justice. It's very nice.
Thanks! I can now see it's got angled bends on the edges, and it is about $50 cheaper than elsewhere, just like their (heavy) centerstand. That's probably my best choice yet. Thanks again

What doe it weigh, about 6 lbs? It looks as nice as you may can get for steel. I like the small steel tubes (for iifting on centerstand :-)

Also, will the stock seat handles still fit on top?

Last edited by kawdog; 12-26-2014 at 11:38 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 01:35 PM

I had to return it. Go to install it yesterday and it does not fit. When I bought it I asked the guy if it would fit a 13. Not much info on the URL that says any different. Anyway, called them, got an RMA and ordered the aluminium version. $50 bucks more but they said the alu is lighter and stronger. I sure liked the look and feel of the steel one though but I was told it only fits up to 2007. Looks like the covers would go back on. I think the aluminium version uses the same grab rails.

Last edited by rydbayb; 12-27-2014 at 04:40 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
I had to return it. Go to install it yesterday and it does not fit. When I bought it I asked the guy if it would fit a 13. Not much info on the URL that says any different. Anyway, called them, got an RMA and ordered the aluminium version. $50 bucks more but they said the alu is lighter and stronger. I sure liked the look and feel of the steel one though but I was told it only fits up to 2007. Looks like the covers would go back on. I think the aluminium version uses the same grab rails.
Got any pics? AL would look better maybe at 1/2 of the weight. Is that the Vs. Forum member? His is $200 and no pics too.

I would think the AL would look better, but steel round pipe would be better hand rails to lift the bike on the centerstand (and maybe chromed for a smoother feel!)

Thanks for the information!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode