Questions About Luggage Racks - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Questions About Luggage Racks

I was looking into two different luggage racks for my '13 Versys: the Givi and the SW-Motech. Here are my questions . . .

1) Do luggage racks cause more vibration? How about when 37L aluminum panniers are attached? If there is vibration, if instead of hardcases I installed the Kriega Overlander 60 or Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddlebags, would either of these soft pannier bags absorb the vibration?

2) Pros and cons between aluminum pannier cases versus soft saddlebags?

3) Pros and cons to Givi or SW-Motech luggage racks?

4) How doe panniers (soft or hard) effect the motorcycles riding stability and corning?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 10:05 PM

Man, that's a lot of questions.

The difference between hard and soft is security only. Hard is lockable, soft os not. Also, hard may require repair in the event of a crash, while soft may tear bit can be fixed with duct tape/bungees.

Vibration is a bigger issue towards the front of the bike, but it will be there. It will lessen with weight.

Givi are less heavy-duty, but a tad lighter. Motechs are heavy duty but the attachment system is kinda chintzy.

Others will chime in, I'm sure.

2014 Versys ABS
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 10:06 PM

Also, what are you you planning on doing?

2014 Versys ABS

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I intend to embark upon a small weekend trip from Phoenix, AZ to San Diego, CA in a couple weeks. This coming summer I intend to embark upon a 3-4 week tour.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg1 View Post
I intend to embark upon a small weekend trip from Phoenix, AZ to San Diego, CA in a couple weeks. This coming summer I intend to embark upon a 3-4 week tour.
Pheonix to San Diego can be done with a backpack....

But that's besides the point. I think a hard case setup will be best for the 3-4 week tour only because of the security feature. I had a givi 21L setup on my last bike and could open it with a screwdriver. I think Pelicans are much more secure. There's a bunch of people who have built setups for pelican/seahorse cases and really like them. It'll end up being the same cost as soft luggage but much stronger.

2014 Versys ABS
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 04:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg1 View Post
I was looking into two different luggage racks for my '13 Versys: the Givi and the SW-Motech. Here are my questions . . .

1) Do luggage racks cause more vibration? How about when 37L aluminum panniers are attached? If there is vibration, if instead of hardcases I installed the Kriega Overlander 60 or Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddlebags, would either of these soft pannier bags absorb the vibration?

The Givi Racks and Kappa bags that I have do not

2) Pros and cons between aluminum pannier cases versus soft saddlebags?

No idea about aluminium

3) Pros and cons to Givi or SW-Motech luggage racks?

Happy with my Givi's (apart from the blinker relocation bracket)

4) How does panniers (soft or hard) effect the motorcycles riding stability and corning?

Hard ones dont move around, soft one could move if they are not secured properly. If you overload or don't pack properly either they could affect the stability

Thanks!
My setup

Givi PLR450 Pannier Racks and 451FZ Monorack Sidearms with Kappa K33N panniers and Kappa 42 Litre topbox
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 05:58 AM

Moto centrix make an expandable set of saddle bagels that look and work great and strap right on easily and are inexpensive . I have top bag , saddle bag and tank bag for starters they have been great . I'm switching them to my klx 250 and making hard cases for my V out of a new line of rigid tool boxes that look like pelican boxes but you can stac them in numoris figurations . Moto Centix bags you can get at motorcycle superstore . You can se my soft bags on the forum under strics pics

Last edited by careystrickland; 12-01-2014 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Post picture
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 06:46 AM

The Pelican style cases will stand up to a crash. Pelican, Storm and Plano have a lifetime warranty.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 06:14 PM

I have the SW and love them so far. Mounting was easy and very well built. I like the looks, a meaner look than what I have seen with the plastic cases. I have not loaded them too much but have felt no vibration or handling differences. They are costly items but the cases can be moved from bike to bike so it is an investment in itself.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I got my Givi Trekkers (33L) because I like the way the look..and because of their dual openings...they are solid with no vibrations that I've noticed...The mounts for them are removable..in about 15-30 minutes on/off..but I don't bother and leave them on...

http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products...trekker-series
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leftside 2 2014.jpg (75.6 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg rightside 2014.jpg (72.4 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg front 2014.jpg (103.5 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg left rear 2014.jpg (61.8 KB, 156 views)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:57 PM

I've never ridden a V with soft bags but I have ridden mine with no bags and with hard bags, no vibration difference at all, and very little handling difference. The advantage of side bags (boxes) over a top box is side mounted luggage doesn't effect handling as much as top mounted luggage.
The advantage of hard luggage is security and generally convenience of accessing, while soft luggage is lighter and less expensive.
Givi or SWMotech, either one is good quality and won't fail you. I bought SWMotech EVO racks and I've been perfectly happy with them. I got them because I liked the quick disconnects but I never used them so I replaced the QDs with bolts, it was a feature I never used.
As for aluminum or soft, don't forget about plastic hard bags. It really just depends on what floats your boat. I like plastic hard bags because they are secure and lockable and relatively light. I had Givi E21s until recently but needed more storage so I just got a set of Storm boxes.
I think another question you may want to consider is top load or side load. Your lid type may be the determining factor for what material your chosen bag or box is. Alum boxes are generally top load which can be convenient to access unless you are carrying luggage across your seat. The 4 week trip you describe may very well require an additional bag thrown across the seat so something to think about. Most of your hard plastic boxes are going to be side load, with the exception of a couple Givi options, a Pelican box and another brand that I can't recall.

Last edited by ray h; 12-30-2014 at 11:10 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:04 AM

Just did a Napa-Ensenada-San Felipe-Santa Barbara-Napa run.

Used this setup:

I like almost everything about the setup other than needing a side web for the panniers so they don't open all the way. Otherwise highly recommend this setup.

Kappa side cases (cheaper than givi) mounted to givi top case mounting arms, Seahorse SE720 (cheaper than pelican, can order with locks), and Happy trails mounting pucks.

Super easy install all around and easily removable.

The top case was a bit bouncy with a gallon of gas packed on top, but alone it's not an issue.

2014 Versys ABS
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Something else to consider if you are 'going off road' is that most ADV riders use top loading boxes so they get their gear out when the bike is laying on it side! something you might struggle to do with a side opening/loading case.

Top loading side box with rear latch is good for safety when the latch fails - but hopeless to get beer out while you are riding.

soft bags may also have an issue with flapping if you do not fill them - ie run half filled. something a hard panier does not. A soft panier might have a few extra straps to hold the contents firmer.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 08:23 AM

The best thing about side bags and top case is appreciating driving without them. Doing without is a breeze and with them is hazardous driving at high speeds. It's alway 'nice' to have the 'potential' touring capacity. But when you get to where you are going, rip them off and drive it like a motorcycle: not a Goodyear Blimp. One top box is ok for a commuter but it still is a wind-suck (the 2 full coverage helmet type sitting up high anyway), imo. ymmv The small Seahorse cases for all 3 is kind of small and sporty (and cheap :-), so they are not a blimp in the wind. Cheap and streamlined always has my vote.

As for the rack, get the AL (which may be all you can get on a later model), since if you get a (Heavy) centerstand, you'll need all the weight saving measures you can get! The SW AL seems to be the most versitile and more like an oem rack the bike 'should' come with anyway.

Last edited by kawdog; 12-31-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode