Barkbusters -- Blue Locktite Needed? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Barkbusters -- Blue Locktite Needed?

Simple question. I just installed Barkbusters handguards on my '13 Versys. The hardest part of the install with removing the locktite bolts that secured the handlebar end weights. Once those were off (thanks to a 6mm allen and breaker bar), everything else went fairly smoothly.

All seems tight and secure. I didn't locktite anything. Will things be fine without locktite? Or should I remove a bolt at a time and dab on some blue locktite?

Thanks!

EDIT: How tight should the handlebar clamps be? They're secure, but there is also a gap; unlike pictures I see where the clamps are flush against the handlebars. I don't want to ruin the handlebar silver coating, but should i keep tightening until the clamps are flush?

Thanks again!

Last edited by alexg1; 11-23-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
It won't hurt. I recently reinstalled my brake calipers on the front after changing brake lines. The properly torqued bolts loosened up on their own without locktite. Use blue locktite, it is easily removable with a little heat from a heat gun first, but don't use red locktite that is heat resistant.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-23-2014 at 10:05 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg1 View Post
Simple question. I just installed Barkbusters handguards on my '13 Versys. The hardest part of the install with removing the locktite bolts that secured the handlebar end weights. Once those were off (thanks to a 6mm allen and breaker bar), everything else went fairly smoothly.

All seems tight and secure. I didn't locktite anything. Will things be fine without locktite? Or should I remove a bolt at a time and dab on some blue locktite?

Thanks!

EDIT: How tight should the handlebar clamps be? They're secure, but there is also a gap; unlike pictures I see where the clamps are flush against the handlebars. I don't want to ruin the handlebar silver coating, but should i keep tightening until the clamps are flush?

Thanks again!
I didn't, but it can't hurt. Pics of the gaps?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It won't hurt. I recently reinstalled my brake calipers on the front after changing brake lines. The properly torqued bolts loosened up on their own without locktite. Use blue locktite, it is easily removable with a little heat from a heat gun first, but don't use red locktite that is heat resistant.
I'm guessing that you used red locktite on your brakes, since it is heat resistant?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 10:58 AM

even with heat the blue still functions to prevent losening from vibrations.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:18 PM

On my bars, there was a decent amount of the factory loctite left on the threads. I think if you're still feeling resistance there, you're probably good, but a dab cant hurt, at least for peace of mind.

2009 Versys 650
1975 Kawasaki F11 250
1972 Suzuki RV90
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
ANYTHING I remove gets a drop of blue Loctite when I re-install it.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

The barkbusters did not keep my hands free of the wind at all during my commute to work. My fingers were legitimately numb. I just ordered some winter gloves from Revzilla and the VPS guards for a more rugged profile. The Storms are a bit too bubbly for me, and vibby too. Anyway, here are the pics of the gaps I'm talking about. I feel as if the clamps should be tighter, but they've also scraped some paint from my handlebar -- bummer. So I feel any tighter will ruin the finish. What's your .2 cents? Keep tightening or leave them how they are?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0730.jpg (22.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0727.jpg (22.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0728.jpg (29.1 KB, 83 views)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 07:35 AM

looks like 7/8" clamps on a 1" bar. is that the stock bar?

and yes, winter gloves. the guards imo are only really good for objects traveling through the air (rain, bugs, mud, branches) not so much for wind chill.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
The barkbusters did not keep my hands free of the wind at all during my commute to work. My fingers were legitimately numb. I just ordered some winter gloves from Revzilla and the VPS guards for a more rugged profile. The Storms are a bit too bubbly for me, and vibby too. Anyway, here are the pics of the gaps I'm talking about. I feel as if the clamps should be tighter, but they've also scraped some paint from my handlebar -- bummer. So I feel any tighter will ruin the finish. What's your .2 cents? Keep tightening or leave them how they are?
Mine did the same thing with the same paint scratches and all. I think the bars are slightly oval through some of the bends, which is what causes that.

2009 Versys 650
1975 Kawasaki F11 250
1972 Suzuki RV90
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Wait . . . so even though I ordered the backbones meant for a '13 Versys, it's possible they sent me the wrong product; well, wrong sized product?

I mean, they're on there and I tightened them down more, but they're still not flush and taking them off would reveal the scratches on the handlebar that they caused. Granted, I ended up installing the VPS hand guards (took off the Storms) and like the look much better. Still . . .
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I had heated grips and use these mitts on the Versys and FJR to keep wind and rain off. Usually the mitts kept me warm enough. You can pick them up cheap at an ATV supplier...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 02:44 AM

Garage
revzilla has oxfords on sale for $39 Revzilla
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Thanks again!
Depends, I had an issue with having to tighten the throttle side regularly. Guard was bouncing around a little. And, when I came off a few month ago while trail riding, the end of the bar literally sheered off with the barkbuster pointing in the opposite direction.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 09:00 PM

Throw the blue locktite on there. Why wouldn't you?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 11:33 PM

Garage
I follow a simple rule. If I think the screw should be there, and the manual does not call for loctite, I use Blue on it. If manual calls for it, It normally is Red loctite. Then and only then do I use Red.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:45 AM

Relax, they fit fine, the clamps will not completely close, has nothing to do with the fit on the Versys, they fit great! I love the Storms, they really make a big difference over not having anything at all. Especially when it gets really cold, Storms with good gloves should be able to handle very low temps. They look great on my 14, should have come stock on all Versys!

http://www.revzilla.com/parts/2014-k...-versys-kle650

In case anyone is interested I posted a link for Versys only parts from Revzilla. I see the Barkbusters are like $30 off! Great deal, wish they had that sale when I bought them months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode