Versys chiptuning? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys chiptuning?

Has anyone done it,or heard something about it? What could be the cons?
A local guy that works with chiptuning and electronics claims that he can get up to 10% in hp and torque,and he has done his GSX-R 750.
Another 6-7 hp would be welcomed for my V.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Garage
Never heard of "chiptuning". You can put a power comander on the bike and mess with the ECU mappings, but your not getting 10% hp by doing that.

If it sounds to good to be true, it most likely is....

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

This is what I am talking about
http://rideapart.com/articles/hows-work-ecu-tuning

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
chip tuning or flashing the ECU I would imagine are the same thing...in the great northwest (washington state) we have a gentleman who does this..and has a mobile trailer set up he takes to race tracks and such...just about every sportbike rider I know swears by this guy..though a mechanic or two I know say he's "over priced"...you certainly can get some gains with chip tuning..I'm not sure that they will be as much as your friend says with the Versys...it's my understanding that you're not going to get anywhere near a 10% gain without opening up the engine and reworking some of the mechanicals...a lot of sportbikes are detuned by the factory and can easily achieve a 10% gain or more...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:52 PM

10% on software alone on any NA engine of any kind sounds rediculous to me. It would have to either be a crappy factory tune or a dangerous aftermarket tune to gain that much power from stock

What do you need more power for anyway? A rider with better skills can beat a rider with simply more power any day.....if you want more power for racing
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
All I have to ask is why? Are you hitting the rev limiter between every shift, every time you ride?

Now if that tune would increase the fuel economy by 10% as well, and help with longevity of the engine, then maybe I'd be interested.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
At the track day a couple of weeks ago, there were a heap of Supermotards absolutely fanging it around the track in 47 sec/lap.

A little 13 year old kid on a 85cc race bike with bicycle wheels was doing the same time.

Chip tuning is fine... but it is semi-permanent. You will have to use him again to remove or modify code if it not working.

With a PowerCommander 5 and Auto Tune you basically get the same thing - it can be removed and bike returned to stock when you sell. You can then on-sell the PCV. You can set the PCV to do more for your bike quickly - eg run 2 maps, or set Bike up to run stock mode for emissions test etc.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 06:13 PM

if you're interested in dyno tuning (chip and otherwise) here's a link to the tuner I mentioned earlier...his site has some really good information on the subject..a whole page devoted to the "why" you should consider it...

http://2wheeldynoworks.com/

this gentleman enjoys a huge following and great reputation in Washington state and here around the Portland, Oregon area (he brings his mobile dyno tuner trailer down to Vancouver..across the river..a couple times a year)...I personally have a PCV installed and will get a custom tune this winter..but by another mechanic (ex-Honda race team tuner)...stock fueling on just about any stock japanese bike (triumphs too..don't know about harleys or others) is set a little lean for EPA purposes (been happening since the 80's and carb's were still on the bikes)...on triumph bonneville's it's obvious because of the blueing of the exhaust pipes (too hot from running lean)...

lol..he has a video up of him tuning an Indian Chief...went from stock 74hp/101ftlbs. to 84hp/107ftlbs.

Last edited by chadams66; 11-23-2014 at 06:19 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

I asked around a bit....the guy is working with http://vector-tuning.de/
He just uploads some parameters directly to Germany, they send him the map and that is it. He claims improved power both in hp and torque and improved fuel efficiency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode