Throttle abruptness - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Throttle abruptness

Hello, this is my first post of inquisition on my new 2012 V. I hope I get off on the right foot here. I love my V. It picks up where my KLR left off. Performance wise it suits me just fine. I'm sure if I had this bike when I was younger I would already have an exhaust and the sub throttles out, but I have refrained for now.

Being said, one thing I particularly don't care for is the fuel cut on deceleration,(assumption on my part, correct me if I am wrong) and the resulting abrupt jab I get returning to acceleration or steady throttle. The tech and also friend of mine at the Kawi place where I bought it said learn to live with it, it's programmed into it.

I have read somewhere that the PCV can over ride much of this. All of my questions to local techs in the area on the PCV have come up rather vague in the area of fuel cut, and generally evolve into performance results on the dyno. My questions are, is there a sector in the PCV that addresses the fuel cut issues? Can other things be modified through the PCV to calm this effect? It's sort of expensive. It would not be worth it to me at this time to install it if it didn't address my concerns.

Any elaboration on any of this would be welcome.
Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTripwire View Post
Hello, this is my first post of inquisition on my new 2012 V. I hope I get off on the right foot here. I love my V. It picks up where my KLR left off. Performance wise it suits me just fine. I'm sure if I had this bike when I was younger I would already have an exhaust and the sub throttles out, but I have refrained for now.

Being said, one thing I particularly don't care for is the fuel cut on deceleration,(assumption on my part, correct me if I am wrong) and the resulting abrupt jab I get returning to acceleration or steady throttle. The tech and also friend of mine at the Kawi place where I bought it said learn to live with it, it's programmed into it.

I have read somewhere that the PCV can over ride much of this. All of my questions to local techs in the area on the PCV have come up rather vague in the area of fuel cut, and generally evolve into performance results on the dyno. My questions are, is there a sector in the PCV that addresses the fuel cut issues? Can other things be modified through the PCV to calm this effect? It's sort of expensive. It would not be worth it to me at this time to install it if it didn't address my concerns.

Any elaboration on any of this would be welcome.
Thanks,
John
This is a question for" Invader", however , most of us have adjusted the throttle position sensor , which if I understand your problem, corrects the low RPM jerkiness. I have tried to find the posts with pictures on TPS adjustment---so far they are all gone.

Vacuum hose mod is also related;

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ment:goodluck:
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 06:18 PM

Garage
Umm, reprogram the brain. Costs nothing, works a treat

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Compared to other bikes the 650 motor is not abrupt however loose throttle cables with slack or excessive chain slack can give it that impression.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:14 PM

Garage
Are you slipping clutch at slow 1st gear speeds.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:18 PM

Maybe this would be a helpful thread>

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5094
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling View Post
Maybe this would be a helpful thread>

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5094
yes I was going to add that, however all the close up pictures are gone. I am sure there are recent pictures , just can't find them.

One thing for sure------if you own a Versys and belong to this forum--eventually you will have the Ride of your life.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I have planned on doing the vacuum mod the first time I get the tank off. I had forgotten reading about the TPS adjustment and didn't realize it was to help remedy the condition I described. It sounds like from the other thread that it helps quite a bit. I will surely try this before a $$ PCV.

I am still interested in hearing/learning about the Power Commander and the workings of Kawasaki's FI in general. I am already surprised to learn that the ECU doesn't use an adaptive or learned 0 degree throttle position value. That in itself makes the ECU easier to fool/adjust.

John
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have a PCV and autotune 200.
I bought it to get rid of the low rpm jerkiness while cruising ~3000 rpm on my 2012 Versys with ABS and O2 sensor.
It has eliminated most (~85%) of the jerkiness while NOT moving the throttle.
My issue related to the stock lean programing and the ecu and O2 sensor fighting.

What you describe is the lag between off an on throttle and is quite harsh when snappping back onto fuel.
Nope I still got that Feature!

I do have the Vacuum mod - with a tap so I can turn it off and on - but I feel it does nothing for me.
Mods: Leo Vince exhaust and a BMC air filter.

The PCV for my 2012 model does have ingition control but dunno how to use it.
It is not dyno tuned - that is what the autotune is for!

Last edited by Gigitt; 11-17-2014 at 05:03 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I have a PCV and autotune 200.
I bought it to get rid of the low rpm jerkiness while cruising ~3000 rpm on my 2012 Versys with ABS and O2 sensor.
It has eliminated most (~85%) of the jerkiness while NOT moving the throttle.
My issue related to the stock lean programing and the ecu and O2 sensor fighting.

What you describe is the lag between off an on throttle and is quite harsh when snappping back onto fuel.
Nope I still got that Feature!

I do have the Vacuum mod - with a tap so I can turn it off and on - but I feel it does nothing for me.
Mods: Leo Vince exhaust and a BMC air filter.

The PCV for my 2012 model does have ingition control but dunno how to use it.
It is not dyno tuned - that is what the autotune is for!

Thank you Gigitt, that is the most direct response, "Nope I still got that feature" I have received anywhere. I will just do the other things and hope for the best. Then just learn to live with it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:29 PM

44T rear, hands down. The stock gearing is shorter than I prefer, also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

I eyeballed the TPS forward about 1 mm yesterday. I also removed all of the throttle cable slack enough to where there is actually a slight tension on the two cables pulling on each other. This is a big improvement in alleviating some of my unwanted characteristics. Thanks for the advice. As an added bonus, the low end grunt and smoothness is improved.

And sonofnothing, I installed a 16 tooth front sprocket the first week I had it. I wonder now with all the boxes and gear I carry if this was wise.

I,m doing something with my air cleaner next week and will try the vacuum mod.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 06:02 PM

Was your KLR carbed? A well tuned carb can be smooth as a babies bum. What bike you come off has a huge effect on how we perceive the next bike. This may be part of what you are experiencing.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTripwire View Post
I eyeballed the TPS forward about 1 mm yesterday. I also removed all of the throttle cable slack enough to where there is actually a slight tension on the two cables pulling on each other. This is a big improvement in alleviating some of my unwanted characteristics. Thanks for the advice. As an added bonus, the low end grunt and smoothness is improved.

And sonofnothing, I installed a 16 tooth front sprocket the first week I had it. I wonder now with all the boxes and gear I carry if this was wise.

I,m doing something with my air cleaner next week and will try the vacuum mod.
FYI: do be careful when adjusting the throttle cables. you DO need slack at idle position... the reason is when you turn the bars, the cables pull and can increase throttle without you realizing.
When I did my Valve adjustment couple of weeks ago, I found this out.
If i remove the slack in the throttle cables to a nice sweet spot but I found that if I turn the bar right the cables pulled increasing the throttle. Reduce the tension in the cables and add some slack as stated in the service manual and the throttle cables did not increase the throttle.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Gatorfan & Gigitt,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode