Continental ContiMotion tire - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Continental ContiMotion tire

Thought I would provide my 2 cents worth on a short review of the ContiMotion front and rear tires for the "V".

The tires replaced my 2nd set after stock which were the Shinko 009 Ravens. I liked the Shinkos, but found them hard to find after getting just over 12,000 front and approximately 8,000 on the rear when I collected 3 nails in the rear tire (in then out through sidewall) while going thru a construction zone on K10 (Kansas).

Was in desperate need for a rear and found one in stock at Dell's Powersports in my hometown of Blue Springs for $110.00 OTD (could do better on web tho). I noted the tire had a bare/ bald section in the center and was hesitant during the first rain, but handled equal or better than the Shinkos. Spooned on the front shortly after (less than $80.00 on Amazon) and I am impressed with the smooth ride these tires provide and how they hold a line in corners. I have not noticed any negatives now pushing 3,000 on them and wanted to provide a short review if any fellow Versys owners were looking at a tire on a budget. Will follow up with a longevity review when tires wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 07:38 PM

Thx for the review, I just made a quick trip up to Texas and needed a frt tire in a hurry so I picked one up at a dealer I found on the interstate on the way home. Eager to slap it on next week and scrub it in.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Kiko,

Just a heads up..If you are mounting it yourself the front will appear to be on backwards when you follow the directional arrow on sidewall. Looks odd after you mount, but no performance issues and I believe from website the intent was for braking. Hope you are as pleased as I am with my purchase.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've run a couple contimotions on the rear. The only thing I don't like about them is not knowing when the tire needs to be changed until the threads show through, because of the center not having a rain groove.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I've run somewhere around three sets between my two Vs. GOOD tires at a GREAT price!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Recently purchased a pair for $160USD online. My primary reason for purchase was the extremely low price. Dry handling is excellent but wet grip is only mediocre, probably due to the sparse tread groves. As these are not dual compound I am suspecting tread life and flat spotting will be much more of an issue than with more expensive tires.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Recently purchased a pair for $160USD online. My primary reason for purchase was the extremely low price. Dry handling is excellent but wet grip is only mediocre, probably due to the sparse tread groves. As these are not dual compound I am suspecting tread life and flat spotting will be much more of an issue than with more expensive tires.
I don't remember any 'flat spotting', and my records for one set show 12,300 miles front, 10,628 miles rear here in AZ. As far as my recollections... handling was VG, dry and wet. Replaced them w/ Metzler Tourance, 130/80 F, 150/70 R.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode