heated grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
heated grips

Hi all,

I want to install heated grips on my V but currently have barkbuster handguards. Is it possible to have both installed? Has anyone done this mod? Or do I have to remove the handguards to accomodate the heated grips?

Lastly, any suggestions on the heated grips?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had the AME heated grips on my Versys with hand guards no issues...Put AME heated grips on the FJR also...Work great.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBx9L5nXgSE

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
not barkbusters but i have heated grips and handguards no problem

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:45 PM

it will work as long as you don't get closed end grips like from an atv.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:25 PM

I have Oxford heated grips & Bark Busters on my '09 Versys.
They have been good products for me.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:26 PM

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:11 PM

Garage
AME are excellent and IMO are the best out there, mine are fitted with my BarkBusters. Easy as
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
I have Oxford heated grips & Bark Busters on my '09 Versys.
They have been good products for me.
Just got the Oxford ''Touring'' version in today. Is 120 mm.

To much space left on the sides! Will exchange them for the ''Adventure'' version. Which is 132 mm.

Which version of the Oxford do you have?

I can't understand this guy installed the Touring version, you WILL have to much space left on the sides...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhM...5j5ojA&index=1
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg-Ram View Post
Just got the Oxford ''Touring'' version in today. Is 120 mm.

To much space left on the sides! Will exchange them for the ''Adventure'' version. Which is 132 mm.

Which version of the Oxford do you have?

I can't understand this guy installed the Touring version, you WILL have to much space left on the sides...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhM...5j5ojA&index=1

Yesterday, I installed my recently purchased Oxford Heaterz Prem Touring version. I followed the link above which was very helpful! Thanks, btw.

One thing that was different in my case was that I have barkbusters handguards which was no big deal, just another step in the process. One thing that gave me a scare was the throttle side.

I got the orig grips out, cleaned the left handlebar with 100 course sandpaper. I then dry fitted the oxford left grip-- no problem, snug fit. The throttle grip was different as it had the plastic tube inside the original grip. I sanded it clean as well. Dry fitting the heated grip was tricky as it went 3/4 of the way then no more. There were excess rubber inside the grip so I snipped them out. I sanded the plastic tube more and tried again. In doing so, not realizing that I applied a bit too much twisting and pushing, the throttle would not spring back to position when released.

I had to open the black box and discovered that the throttle cable got out of the track which is why the grip was still "catching" when released. So, I put it back in track, closed the box and sanded some more, careful not to over sand... and finally, the grip slid in with a moderate amount of pushing.

I had to pracitice a couple of times getting the grips fully in before I used the glue. I found that having the the wiring connections face downward ideal without kinking or stretching it .Note that the glue was FAST, VERY FAST to dry, so you only have LITERALLY a couple of seconds to get it in there correctly.

Connections to the battery was probably the easiest part of the install. I started the bike, waited a minute and turned the grips on at the highest level. They got very warm quickly!

I rode the bike to work this morning which as about 32F (much colder on the highway!) and the Oxfords did the job. I had them at 75 pct most of the time, very warm indeed.

I should have done this when I first got my V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode