Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Yes - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,353
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Yes

I can finally answer the question, do stainless steel brake lines make a difference? After installing these the other night on the front and doing some back to back riding I have to say YES, they do make a difference IMO.

There is less give and spongyness in the brake system and feel is now more direct. One thing I can't account for in the comparison though is the effect of new fluid and a brake bleed since only the new braided brake lines had the benefit of these. I won't say the effect is huge but it is large enough to be noticeable. After seeing a significant improvement in braking with a previous installation of EBC HH pads last year, I would have to say the combined effect of both the improved pads and brake lines together offer a significant improvement in brake feel.

Installation took about an hour and was about the same difficulty level as an oil change which is to say low effort. Most of that time was spent pumping brake fluid through the system to eliminate every little micro bubble of air. Unlike the stock lines, the Gaffer lines go directly from the caliper on each side to the lever on the bars and there is no cross over line over the fender to make bleeding easier.

I purchased a $7 one man bleed kit that collects the fluid from the caliper which allowed me to cycle the same new fluid through the system several times during the bleed process and see any air expelled in the clear line, even tiny bubbles. You could feel the lever get firmer as the last bit of air was slowly eliminated from the system. My advice is spend lots of time bleeding to ensure all the air is removed. Even a single tiny bubble will negate the effect of braided brake lines. It is easy to eliminate 99% of the air in the first 2 minutes of bleeding but the remaining 1% takes some time. See youtube how to videos on brake bleeding if you are unfamiliar, it is very easy to do.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-02-2014 at 09:14 PM.
twowheels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Member
 
kimel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Noticed the same thing. The "feel" is 100% better. I am more confident in using more brake when necessary because I am more connected. If that makes any sense.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kimel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome