Braided break lines and bark busters - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Braided break lines and bark busters

At the beginning of the summer I pulled off my Bark busters and installed the Galfer front break line kit. The kit works a treat! It has started to get cold so I would like to put the Bark busters back on but I have discovered that the banjo fittings coming off of the reservoir cause a clearance issue with my bark busters. This cannot be an uncommon issue so I'm wondering if anyone has found a fix? I have noticed a few KTM guys run this part here:

http://www.barkbusters.net/products/105.html

But I have not come up with any evidence of if it will fit or not.

Any idea guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:25 PM

you should be able to tell from how much interference there is, whether or not that piece will do what you need.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
can you post up a pic? might be a manner of cutting, grinding or moding,or just adjusting

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 02:01 AM

Is the Banjo boltis hitting the front bar. you could add washers between the bar and the mount and use a longer bolt to give you the room you need.

Last edited by Motojunkee; 10-29-2014 at 02:03 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
This thread has come at the right time. The UPS fairy came yesterday with my Gaffer lines. Also have the Bark buster hand guards but have not installed yet.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:28 PM

I'm assuming that at least part of the issue with the SS Brake lines is two lines at the top banjo fitting as opposed to one with a crossover on the OEM setup. I don't have the Bark Busters but ran into a similar issue w/ my KTM brush guards.

The best solution for me was to fit the bar weight from the R&G bar sliders as a weight/spacer for my brush guards (thanks Davy F for the idea!) which let the guard clear the banjo bolt.
You can see that I did some cutting on my Givi 'winter' Screen to clear the guards at full lock.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for not getting back with pictures. Ill post some as soon as I can.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I just added GALFER front brake lines (two from the master to the wheel cylinders), and for now I've rotated the ZETA guards UP about 30 degrees, but I plan to get a "coupler", about 5/8" long w/ 5/16" threads, drill-out the threads, then add the coupler between the end of the guard (washer at EACH end) and the 'square' piece that attaches to the handle-bars, AND a longer bolt to attach it all together. SHOULD get everything "right", but we'll see.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Here are pics of the "clearance issue" between my ZETAs and the GALFER banjo fittings.

Here's what I used for my solution (tho' I was going to take a coupling and just drill out the threads...), bought at our local True Value Hardware store ($2.75)....

...and here's the finished product, w/ the guards at the SAME height...!

Hope this shows that there IS a solution. I also installed the rear GALFER line yesterday, and, I must say - I LIKE IT! I always use a bit of rear brake to 'settle the bike' as I add front, but NOW the rear brake feels HUGELY BETTER...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:05 PM
djg

If I wanted steel lines I would just measure the stock lines, order that length steel lines, and duplicate the stock setup.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
If I wanted steel lines I would just measure the stock lines, order that length steel lines, and duplicate the stock setup.
I don't like the stock crossovee line - its a liability being so close to the tire.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 11:15 PM
djg

Please explain.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 12:33 AM

I just put a set of barkbusters on my Versys - with the stainless steel brake lines with dual banjo bolts at the master cylinder. I routed the brake lines OVER the barkbuster mount, and didn't have any issues or need modifications.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Please explain.
if you do any amount of offroad riding the front fender can get ripped off if you get too much mud build up, this can take out your front brakes at the same time, or on some ocassions the brake line has kept the fender from coming off and instead locked the front wheel up at speed, vaulting the rider.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Please explain.
Yes - the "cross-over" line is the weak point in MOST stock set-ups.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 PM

Zeta makes a longer mounting bracket available as a separate part. Fixed my Zeta clearance issue.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 03:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
I just put a set of barkbusters on my Versys - with the stainless steel brake lines with dual banjo bolts at the master cylinder. I routed the brake lines OVER the barkbuster mount, and didn't have any issues or need modifications.
I tried this and things do not line up. Going to try the coupling solution or maybe just leave my Barkbuster hand guards off as they seem to be of questionable benefit. They don't provide any noticeable increase in warmth or weather protection although they do protect the levers in a tip over.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-27-2015 at 03:22 AM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Check my solution:
pic 1 - shows the double Galfers and my guards;
pic 2 - shows the spacer and longer bolt I bought at a hardware store; and
pic 3 - shows it all together w/ LOTS of clearance.

ALL for about $2....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB130997 copy.jpg (51.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg PB130999 copy.jpg (27.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg PB131001 copy.jpg (56.0 KB, 71 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 05:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Check my solution:
pic 1 - shows the double Galfers and my guards;
pic 2 - shows the spacer and longer bolt I bought at a hardware store; and
pic 3 - shows it all together w/ LOTS of clearance.

ALL for about $2....

Thanks for posting. You've convinced me to give this a second try. This forum is an incredible resource.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 08:36 AM

Had the same problem with my KLR and the Moose guards. I same spacer and longer bolts fit it right up. I see that it been done on the Versys so it's an all rounder fixer up!

Not the best picture sorry. But you can see the spacer I added to clear the lever.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode