BRAKES LOCKED-UP, Chinese Shorty Lever - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BRAKES LOCKED-UP, Chinese Shorty Lever

Well, thought I did all my research, 50/50 here on the forum so I bought a set from Amazon ($35) for my 2013. Easy install, they looked well made, nice snug fit. I was very happy with the results. Half a mile from the house, just before I'm getting on the freeway - the brakes lock-up hard. I was going about 35 mph - the bike dipped violently and it feels like it's losing power but then I felt the brake lever locked in the up position, could not move it! Lucky I'm in the slow lane because once stopped the bike's not going anywhere. Popped the seat off, get the tool kit, pulled off the nut and bolt that attaches the lever and the brake releases. I moved it out of the road and do a visual inspection. I could smell the pads and I could see a pronounced scarring on the discs. Pop it back on and it worked fine. For some reason though the bike would not start (oil light on). The road went slightly downhill so I was able to try and start it by popping the clutch. That did not work but it cleared the electric start issue and it fired up. I rode it around (cautiously) for about 30 minutes and it seemed AOK. Got home and looked it up and found several similar events. I will keep the clutch lever but I ordered an ASV brake lever. This has to be the strangest thing I ever experienced on a motorcycle. Glad I was not on the freeway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 08:46 PM

Glad you're OK, I have heard of this happening before. I have the stock levers on my bike but if I ever change it'll be with a known brand name replacement. You're lucky you didn't crash and burn when the brakes locked.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 06:36 PM

Garage
Since it happened right after install then worked fine once you reinstalled it, I am guessing it was a error on your installation. You could just have easily done the bad install with ASV's or Pazzos.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ive had this happen as well.... it was caused by some high spots on the levers catching , some time with the grinder took care of it, i expect you problem starting was due to over heating
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Since it happened right after install then worked fine once you reinstalled it, I am guessing it was a error on your installation. You could just have easily done the bad install with ASV's or Pazzos.
Install of a brake lever on a 2nd gen V is a 1 bolt affair. Tested OK prior but you could be right.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
ive had this happen as well.... it was caused by some high spots on the levers catching , some time with the grinder took care of it, i expect you problem starting was due to over heating
Thanks Silverfox for the info on the bike starting and your experience and resolution on the lever.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 02:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
Thanks Silverfox for the info on the bike starting and your experience and resolution on the lever.
no problem hope you got it all fixed allright and are back out enjoying two wheels
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 12:40 AM

Curious why you guys are changing levers? Makes no sense to me. What am I missing here? It is for looks or something else?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

I had a clearance issue with the oem when I put on the handguards. The short ones fit better. Plus someone on this forum just said; "It's your bike so do what you feel is best and have fun, you now have a great bike". I wonder who said that?

Last edited by rydbayb; 10-01-2014 at 01:19 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 AM

some also preffer the shorty levers if you never use more than 2 fingers; no risk of crushing your other fingers that are still on the grips when you squeeze the clutch lever (for example)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: Had another lock-up incident on the Chinese shorty. On the street, felt the bike slowing down, able to pull into a parking lot - same procedure. Got the ASV in a few days after that. Installed it last night. Rode a couple hours this morning and no issues. Parts of the ASV look different. Maybe the version shortly I ended up with just does not match up correctly with the gen2 V's. The adjuster on the ASV is not the same as the import (wheel not a toggle) but the color and construction match so looks good. Hope that's the end of that madness!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 12:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
UPDATE: Had another lock-up incident on the Chinese shorty. On the street, felt the bike slowing down, able to pull into a parking lot - same procedure. Got the ASV in a few days after that. Installed it last night. Rode a couple hours this morning and no issues. Parts of the ASV look different. Maybe the version shortly I ended up with just does not match up correctly with the gen2 V's. The adjuster on the ASV is not the same as the import (wheel not a toggle) but the color and construction match so looks good. Hope that's the end of that madness!
i forgot to ask did the ccpos handle come with any kind of shims ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode