Honda handlebars on my Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Honda handlebars on my Versys

Love the bike, biggest issue for me was the handlebars, too far away, even though im 6'2" I get a terrible neck cramp after awhile. before I dropped the cash on a set of Rox Risers, I wanted to see if a pair of Honda handlebars I had laying around would work.. As you can see the rise and pullback is substantial compaired to factory bars. All that was required is removing a few zip ties and reroute of the cables and they fit... Stock cables, no wiring mods and no pinching or binding... Huge difference!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys handlebar mod 001.jpg (83.0 KB, 689 views)
File Type: jpg versys handlebar mod 002.jpg (75.1 KB, 628 views)
File Type: jpg versys handlebar mod 003.jpg (57.0 KB, 455 views)
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 03:47 PM

yep good fit, the stockers are ok for me. I did the same thing to the VTX I had and put some HD bars on it and they were much better.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Took the sport out of the Versys sport bike. . Hope you at least put a Corbin seat and forward controls to complete your "cruiser" transformation. J/k.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

LOL. for the most part I can tell no difference in my riding style, never been real aggressive anyway. I'm just more relaxed, it was that or I sell it.. after an hour of riding I felt like I had a cigar being burned on my skin... major pinch nerve
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:12 PM

Garage
Can you post a pic of you on the bike? Also what type of Honda?

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 08:24 PM

Pretty cool. Reminds me of the bars on my 71 Bonnie, which I really liked. Sadly, sold it years ago to stay in college.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I HATED the stock bars on my Suzuki Bandit 1200S (caused my hands to go to sleep, as the angle was wrong). Then I looked at a set of "drag bars" I had - their angle looked better - so I installed them w/ some homemade risers to the same height as stock.

VOILA! Hands were HAPPY!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 AM

Never liked the stock bars. Tried CR Highs on Rox risers for a while. Better but not great. Now have ATV Low bars. Perfect for me.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:54 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
looks good
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Apehangers anyone? Some tassles on the grips would help the "look".
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 08:14 AM
MTS

Awesome!!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

These bars are only slightly higher than a stock set with 2" Rox Risers... I had them laying around... price was right
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Apehangers anyone? Some tassles on the grips would help the "look".
na its lower then chin level it not ape-hangers yet
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 06:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
na its lower then chin level it not ape-hangers yet
Saw the funniest damn thing I've seen in a while; a large-barge Hardley in the oncoming lane, rider's feet splayed wide in the gynecology position, ready to fend off oncoming traffic (tough guys that they are), in full pirate costume.
His 'scoot' was sporting a ridiculous bat-wing (barn door) handlebar-mounted fairing. That sight alone cracks me up every time I see it, and face it, it's a common sight. The old school, non-aerodynamic Vetter style design is bad enough, but it does make a good platform for the 8-track /AM radio combo.

So, as good as that is, it gets even better. Stretched well above the barn door 'fairing' and the oncoming boots is a reach-for-the-shy set of apehangers with attached hairy hands, in requisite fingerless gloves. The rider's head, just visible above the 'dash' and framed by tough guy ape-arms, wears the appropriate grimace and a piss-pot helmet. Perfect.

I love motorcycling.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
awesome.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Saw the funniest damn thing I've seen in a while; a large-barge Hardley in the oncoming lane, rider's feet splayed wide in the gynecology position, ready to fend off oncoming traffic (tough guys that they are), in full pirate costume.
His 'scoot' was sporting a ridiculous bat-wing (barn door) handlebar-mounted fairing. That sight alone cracks me up every time I see it, and face it, it's a common sight. The old school, non-aerodynamic Vetter style design is bad enough, but it does make a good platform for the 8-track /AM radio combo.

So, as good as that is, it gets even better. Stretched well above the barn door 'fairing' and the oncoming boots is a reach-for-the-shy set of apehangers with attached hairy hands, in requisite fingerless gloves. The rider's head, just visible above the 'dash' and framed by tough guy ape-arms, wears the appropriate grimace and a piss-pot helmet. Perfect.

I love motorcycling.
Yep...love the part about the "grimace" so true !
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Update on the handlebar swap. So far i'm really pleased with the results. I just did a 1300 mile ride and no sore neck. I loved the bike but always felt the seat, bar distance was awkward. now I sit more upright with a good bend at the elbows. To my surprise I actually feel more confindent cornering. Also I notice my left mirror is a lot clearer, vibration in the bars is less as well. I think it may be due to the thicker steel of the Honda bars as appose to stock
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:16 PM

i'm still looking around for what I want. I'd like something with a slight lift and a little more angle on the rear sweep to match the natural angle of my hands.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 PM

Garage
Quote:

I love motorcycling.
ahh i see you have spotted the " rugged individual ,rebel" that all weekend worrier HD riders dream of being
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 12:10 PM

I have a 2015 Versys AND a 2007 Harley Electra Glide, which I just rolled over 93K miles. I'm in the Iron Butt Assn. I've been riding for almost 35 years, and in 2009 I survived a horrible accident (13 broken bones, skull fracture, etc.) in which I got hit by another rider in a formation. I rode over 20K miles last year, and I only have 10 states to go until I've ridden in all 48 states in the continental U.S. I've had more motorcycles than I can remember, five of them Harleys and the rest Japanese. AND I'm a woman rider, who was taught by another woman to ride (and wrench) back in 1982.

Want to mock me for riding a Harley?? Just curious.
Smiley and quexpress like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode