Reducing throttle tension - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Reducing throttle tension

Anyone ever tried reducing the amount of force required to twist the throttle open? My throttle hand has been going numb, and I think part of it is the force needed to grip it and keep it twisted back all the time. My left hand never has a problem, which leads me to believe it's throttle related. I've tried a throttle lock, but I find it a little cumbersome to use and I only wind up using it after things start to go numb. If I could lighten up my grip without the throttle wanting to close all the time, it'd help out a lot. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 PM

Some strength exercises. Don't get a death grip on the throttle. Use a Cramp Buster, Throttle Rocker. Make it a point to remove your hands from both grips occasionally to get the blood circulation going. This is where a throttle lock comes in handy.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Some strength exercises. Don't get a death grip on the throttle. Use a Cramp Buster, Throttle Rocker. Make it a point to remove your hands from both grips occasionally to get the blood circulation going. This is where a throttle lock comes in handy.
+1 And spider peak grips work as well to reduce fatigue.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Anyone ever tried reducing the amount of force required to twist the throttle open? My throttle hand has been going numb, and I think part of it is the force needed to grip it and keep it twisted back all the time. My left hand never has a problem, which leads me to believe it's throttle related. I've tried a throttle lock, but I find it a little cumbersome to use and I only wind up using it after things start to go numb. If I could lighten up my grip without the throttle wanting to close all the time, it'd help out a lot. Any ideas?
I recently corrected an issue with too much slack between the throttle cables which allowed the grip to twist a fraction of a turn before doing anything at the throttle bodies. Fixing this lag seems to have improved the responsiveness of the bike and makes it more enjoyable to ride. Thicker, better quality grips will reduce vibrations and make it easier on the hands, they will also provide more leverage in twisting the throttle. There is not much you can do with the throttle cables though, just make sure they have no slack but at the same time not enough tension to cause interference with throttle return.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-12-2014 at 07:47 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 PM

I had numb hands a ways back. Wound up going with grip puppies over my heated grips and a cramp buster. Great little gadget once you get used to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've got ProGrip gel grips and Rox anti vibe risers. I've removed all the slack from the throttle that I can. The problem I have is if i relax my grip, the throttle wants to close under it's own spring tension, so I have to keep a fairly tight grip on it to keep it steady. I should also add that I'm going through PT for a shoulder/arm problem, and now they're talking about an MRI. I'm sure this is causing a lot of the problems I'm having, because I don't remember having numbness much before this. So, I'm looking for a mechanical fix for this, even if temporary. Is there any possibility of putting a lighter return spring on the throttle? I want it to close when released, but not have to feel like I'm fighting it when cruising at a constant speed on the freeway.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I asked about a softer return spring a while back- no replies. Still interested. I'm not sure how springs are rated> length + number of coils + gauge?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 AM

You could simply (as I have done) disconnect the coil throttle return spring. At that point you have a "suicide" throttle. I've done this mod to my last 5 bikes. I'm used to it now and enjoy not having to maintain force on the throttle. If I release the throttle, it very slowly returns to idle. You should try it. If you don't like it, just reconnect the coil spring. Very simple.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There is a mod done to Yamaha FJR's. Throttle return spring is unwound by one turn to reduce tension. I don't suppose it could be done to Versys, since PeeWee-Houston can simply unhook and reconnect the spring without it losing a turn... I'll have a look at it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 AM

Have you lubed the cables recently? That might help a little. I often cover the brake with my right hand when I ride. My hand is extended over the brake, and not wrapped around the grip. It took a day or so to get used to, but it helped relieve some of the tension in my hand. The cramp buster is great too.

Sounds like the shoulder and arm problem may not be helping. Perhaps you're compensating in a way that's causing difficulty/pain in other areas? If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to mention it to your PT.

I hope you figure something out so you can keep riding with minimal discomfort.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have grip puppies on mine.
They fatten the grip requires less hand squeezing to hold the throttle.

But as they are made of foam, they do wear, and only after 5 months mine are getting a bit shiney (smooth). It is now worse as we are in winter, and winter gloves have even less grip on the palm and fingers. My summer gloves have leather palms and still grip the foam, but my winter gloves are thinsulate weather proof ones and the synthetic palms/finger area slip on the grips meaning I have to squeeze more.

So you need 2 things to help relieve wrist pain and numbing... fatter grips and stickier gloves or grips.

I'm going to look at some bicycle bar tape. they are pretty weather proof, a bit spongy and can be very grippy.

Otherwise maybe spraying some contact glue on the palms/fingers of my winter gloves and letting set or go off, might provide some rubbery grip so I don't have to squeeze.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I've been using this for years and it works well for giving relief to my right hand when riding longer distances. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661808
It can be used two ways. 1) when riding on level ground, you can set it and take your right hand completely off the throttle, allowing you to stretch your wrist/hand/arm, rest it, adjust your jacket collar, sleeve openings, gloves, etc. 2) You can also use it to "assist" you in holding the throttle in a steady position. I use it both ways on long trips.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

I've got the Go Cruise, but I don't like it for every day riding. I'm one of those that jams the web of my thumb all the way up against the flange in the grip, and anything in the way just feels off. When I do some miles, it definitely does help. My grips are plenty sticky, and they don't slide at all, but a fatter diameter would probably help. I guess I'll check out the grip puppies. I'm also starting to wonder if it isn't just the position of my bars. I've got a taller aftermarket seat, and risers, but I think the bars are still a bit lower than stock, relative to the seat. Maybe I'll monkey with that too. Thanks for all the suggestions!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I've got the Go Cruise, but I don't like it for every day riding. I'm one of those that jams the web of my thumb all the way up against the flange in the grip, and anything in the way just feels off. When I do some miles, it definitely does help. My grips are plenty sticky, and they don't slide at all, but a fatter diameter would probably help. I guess I'll check out the grip puppies. I'm also starting to wonder if it isn't just the position of my bars. I've got a taller aftermarket seat, and risers, but I think the bars are still a bit lower than stock, relative to the seat. Maybe I'll monkey with that too. Thanks for all the suggestions!
+1 on the thicker grips, I bought a set of Oxford heated grips and they are larger in diameter and helped quite a bit. I have a set for my KLR when I get a relay kit they'll go on that bike as well.

The lower bar to seat will definitely cause problems. I ended up the the Moto Werks riser and then spend a couple of weeks tweaking the bars to get it "Right" for me and still not banging the plastics or windshield. All in all much better and no more numb hand.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:33 PM

Get a set of Renthal "Soft" grade grips. They're tacky enough that they don't slip, and friction is increased to the point that almost no grip force is required. I always cover the brake lever with 2 fingers and have no problem with the throttle slipping.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:41 AM

Crampbuster

2013 White V

Marty in Kerrville
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Well I've tried all the suggestions. I have a throttle lock, tried Crampbuster and have Grip Buddies (they're great!), but the original problem of a too-tight return spring is still not solved.

I have seasonal arthritis in my hands- it only bothers me in cold weather and that is when I need a lighter spring on the throttle. Heated gloves and grips plus the Grip Buddies are not enough.

Appreciate the advice here, but the problem will only be solved by a lighter throttle spring. I might try messing with the OEM spring when cooler weather arrives. Right now I've been side tracked by the stator and new battery etc
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 AM

I would try the throttle return spring suggestion. I don't know if it can be unwound and still return to closed. Besides that, the only other thing I can think of is trying out a new throttle tube. Some aftermarket throttle tubes have a different shape- like egg shaped instead of round- so the throttle tube only requires a half turn for full throttle. This might increase the force required though. I've never tried one. Besides that, it sounds like you've tried everything.

2014 Versys ABS
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 AM

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=23992

Not cheap. Other people use a later of epoxy and/or zip ties to increase the diameter of the cable channel on the tube. This would give you more leverage on the same amount of spring tension.

2014 Versys ABS
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacucaracha View Post
I would try the throttle return spring suggestion. I don't know if it can be unwound and still return to closed. Besides that, the only other thing I can think of is trying out a new throttle tube. Some aftermarket throttle tubes have a different shape- like egg shaped instead of round- so the throttle tube only requires a half turn for full throttle. This might increase the force required though. I've never tried one. Besides that, it sounds like you've tried everything.
I believe a half-turn throttle WILL increase the required force to turn your throttle.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode