Home made cruise control . . . - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Home made cruise control . . .

Because one of my OEM bar ends broke. The rubber inside it came apart from the metal wall so I used them to add mass to my mirrors to reduce the vibration. Works great, 50-60% improvement but they look crazy.

Less bar ends I toyed around with various ways to devise a simple friction device (just for fun). Won't use it often since I spend more time doing stuff like this than riding and I hardly do any distance on this bike. Works really well, allows easy throttle downs even when engaged just like the $100 ones, just not as easy to deploy since you have to tighten the compression bolt which is the opposite direction of a throttle action.

It's crafted from 4 little pieces. The large rubber gromet has a plastic cap inside of it. The plastic cap covers the bar end insert protrusion and has a hole in it. The key is the smooth round metal ring that sits against the throttle grip. The compression bolt that holds everything together is from an adjustable office chair I took apart 6 years ago.

It's simple, looks pretty decent and it only took 10 minutes to do although finding all the right size components took a few days (sifted through a lot of junk). The best part is, I made it myself and it works just fine for what I need it to do. Would I use something like this on my C14, no but that's why I like the Versys - it adobts well to almost anything we throw at it and it still retains good purpose and style.

Love this bike!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140720_083022.jpg (50.4 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 20140720_082907.jpg (45.9 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg 20140720_082856.jpg (35.6 KB, 258 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I was expecting to see wires and circuits and actuators. So do you put a rock on you gas pedal and call that cruise control? LOL! We used to get throttle locks in the 80s for a couple bucks.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
sometimes it nice to exercise your imagination even though it can be bought cheaper
once again it's your toy and only you have to be happy with it

tinker on

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I was expecting to see wires and circuits and actuators. So do you put a rock on you gas pedal and call that cruise control? LOL! We used to get throttle locks in the 80s for a couple bucks.
LOL!! You're funny!! - Btw, in case you didn't know, for most folks in the USA a Versys is a relatively inexpensive bike so not sure why anyone would go the wires,circuits, actuators route. When you can spare a bit more cash buy a high end BMW, the one I had with an electronic cruise control system failed and was repaired twice. Give me a rock any day mate - LOL!!

Last edited by rydbayb; 07-21-2014 at 05:15 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
LOL!! You're funny!! - Btw, in case you didn't know, for most folks in the USA a Versys is a relatively inexpensive bike so not sure why anyone would go the wires,circuits, actuators route. When you can spare a bit more cash buy a high end BMW, the one I had with an electronic cruise control system failed and was repaired twice. Give me a rock any day mate - LOL!!
Throttle locks worked OK when I lived in flat Florida. But here in the hills they are only good for a momentary break for the right hand. Electronic cruise can be added for a couple bills.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
My '62 Triumph came stock w/ a friction-lock on the throttle. Quite useful.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 PM

great job on thinking of this, and great quality.
i love doing stuff like this also.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A friction lock works well to hold the throttle while ya wring out that right wrist.

Larger displacement motors work better, but any friction lock is better than no friction lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode