Anyone tried this stainless chinese slipon? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone tried this stainless chinese slipon?

They're only $133 and look to have a sound baffle and be relatively high quality.

I was considering the DanMoto but I think it's too loud. My main priority is looks, weight and sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-KA...f1f959&vxp=mtr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Most of those pipes are off-road use only, and sound like it.

The difference between a quality exhaust and a cheap exhaust is the difference in the sound of a new corvette and a V8 truck with a hole in the exhaust.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
IMO you only get only an imperceptible performance gain with after market exhaust. The weight issue is irrelevant as the muffler on this bike is mounted centrally and very low. It does not add to the resale value like say a top box or saddle bags do. The extra noise will mean you have to wear ear plugs all the time. Bottom line is the return on investment is non existent for an after market exhaust.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Most who change their exhausts will agree that one of the reasons is to be able to hear and feel the bike. Otherwise we might as well be riding electric bikes or scooters.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
You can click on my video and hear for yourself. I have been pleasently surprised with the sound and quality of this slip-on. It's not obnixious loud or wisper quiet, just right in the middle, and looks pretty decent too. Long term results will be later down the road. But right now I'm pleased with it and the price was RIGHT! As I stated in my post, the mid pipe I got needed some tweaking but nothing a guy couldn't figure out.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Most who change their exhausts will agree that one of the reasons is to be able to hear and feel the bike. Otherwise we might as well be riding electric bikes or scooters.
I would.love an electric bike! When they get the distance up and the cost down, I would love to have a dual sport to quietly explore on.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Keep in mind, some of the Delkevic exhausts go for as little as forty more bucks than that. I am very impressed with Delkevic, good quality, sound, baffle included, and zero leaks in the canister. Delkevic also sells a repack kit for 45 bucks for their stainless brand. Just saying, might be a better option than say a knockoff brand but still affordable.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

I FINALLY got this dang pipe fitted, albeit with some slight scuffs on the underside outside edge of my swingarm. DOH.

I had to go to Autozone where I bought an 02 sensor plug/oil plug 18x1.5 for $3. I also borrowed their small size pipe expander in order to get the elbow opening wide enough and flared enough to slip onto the header. Still isn't a perfect fit but it doesn't leak and cinched up just fine. With the pics you guys provided and direction I got it oriented correctly, though the tangs for the springs holding the slipon onto the elbow don't line up, I was able to get the springs at least both on. They are fitted at an angle but work.

All in all, a pain in the butt to fit. Be prepared for lots of swear words and frustration-though I could probably fit it in an hour now that I know how to do it. But be prepared for at least that, plus the time to travel to the auto store to borrow the flaring tool.

It is a very high quality pipe, esp for $150. But you must be prepared to buy an 02 plug, use lots of elbow grease, spray lubricant and a rubber mallet to get it to fit. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TRAVEL TO AUTOZONE AND BORROW A TAILPIPE EXPANDER TOOL. You should also tape your swingarm up to keep the muffler and rearset from scuffing it up as you are pounding and moving things around. Also you will need to buy two M8x1.25 bolt, about 60-70mm long (with nuts) to fasten the hanger that comes with the pipe, to the undercarriage.

If I had to do it over again I'd buy a brand name pipe.
I will say that the sound isn't overly loud, nor soft. It has a nice rumble, this with the insert left in.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Here is the pic of the elbow after a lot of elbow grease and lube. This is more to show how the spring tangs didn't line up. Luckily I have a real good spring puller and with me on my back, bike in gear and bracing on the rear wheel I was able to get it to pull far enough to attach across the angle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode