So you want a big tank bag (how to) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
So you want a big tank bag (how to)

I have a desire to have a tank bag on my V. Unfortunately for us, our metal tank is quite thin thanks to the plastic shrouds that connect to it on the side. That leaves us a few options on how to have a sizable bag.
1. The fuel ring bags that attach around the fuel pour hole. I would love this option, but I refuse to pay that much money.
2. A bag that straps onto the tank, and around the steering head. These require to much effort for me to install,and remove.
3. MY SOLUTION...

I had 2 tank bags from previous bies I have owned. one is the Joe Rocket Manta. Unfortunately it is a bit small, and doesnt really lie the shape of the V's tank, as far as the magnets staying secure around the curves when fully loaded.

The other bag I have is some generic looking bag from "Iron Riders" that I like the looks of, but the magnets sit on the plastic shroud, not the tank so it wont stay.

No problem though. I bought some "Rare Earth" magnets off of ebay. Paid about $10 for 10 of them.

Step 1: Place the bag on the bike where you want it to sit.

Step 2: Carefully pick up the magnets that are on the plastic and place a piece of tape on the plastic marking their location.

Here is the 2 spots this bag requires magnets on plastic.

Step 3: Remove your windshield and fairings so you can get at the backside of them. Use a real good de-greaser on the back side as you need the surface t be clean. I used simple green.
Step 4: Using a sharpie, mark on the back side of the fairings where the tape is located.

Step 5: Thankfully I figured this part out by accident before finishing. You are using magnets, they have polarity, and you want to make sure you get the polarity to match your bag. I placed the magnets on the bottom of the bag. In one direction they pushed away from the bags magnets, in the other they stuck very strong. So while they were stuck to the bag, I marked a X on the side I want to see facing me on the fairing.
You can also see in this pic the epoxy I used. Gorilla Glue 5-Min. epoxy.
These magnets are strong! that is as close as I could get them to each other without them either snapping together, or pushing apart depending on their polarity.

Step 6: I mixed up a bit of epoxy, and smeared it on the non-X side of my magnet, and placed the magnet on my mark on the fairing.
I need to get the magnets to hold in place securely while it dries without moving. So I used another magnet on the top side placed over my original tape spot to ensure the magnet stayed in place.

Step 7: Reassemble the bike and hope that you did all of your marks correct so the magnets line up with the bag....

All together this only cost me $10 fr the magnets as I already had the bag and epoxy. The bag was only like $30 though a few years ago. Way cheaper than some of the other options to work on a plastic tank.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM

Sweet!

I did the same "modification" on my ST1100 a few years back. I now use the same bag on my V but it's magnets hit lower back on the metal tank parts.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 07-10-2014 at 09:19 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 AM

I did something similar with some large washers I had sitting around. Magnets would have been better, but I just used what I had on hand.

I've wondered why more tank bags don't have a large strong magnet in the bottom of the bag. You know, where it sits right on top of the metal tank?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 09:09 AM

Garage
Smart! Nice job and great DIY.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the great idea, wish I'd thought of that earlier. I have a Givi Voyager bag that is really good but have struggled keeping it in place on the V. Now I can put it right.The bag has been with me for rides to both coasts and I have been reluctant to part with it, and was almost ready to buy the Kaw. tank bag. It has three magnets in each flap, so I will use 3 rare earth mags per side. When I used it on my Connies it gripped so hard it took some effort to remove it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
I've wondered why more tank bags don't have a large strong magnet in the bottom of the bag. You know, where it sits right on top of the metal tank?
Perhaps because a lot of riders carry wallet in the tank bag (credit cards etc)??
Magnets and card info strips do not get along with each other.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Thanks for the great write-up.

I have a tank bag that's a bit wide like yours is, and I just SLIGHTLY fold the 'ears' under a bit so that the magnets are on the tank, and that has held up over some pretty long rides.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 07:12 PM

I am definitely going to get some of those magnets. My tank bag is HUGE, but it straps on which is a pain in my arse. But for $1.36 on ebay it was hella cheap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode