Show me pictures of your Clearwater Glenda or Darla installation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Show me pictures of your Clearwater Glenda or Darla installation

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy a set of Clearwater Darla lights. But I want to know:
  • What Darlas (or Glendas) look like when installed.
  • If there are installation issues to watch out for.
  • If there are performance or quality issues to watch out for.

The generic installation calls for mounting the lights to the fender. I'd like to see what that looks like (with the lights off). Also, has anyone mounted the lights anywhere besides the fender?

Does the generic installation kit have everything needed to mount to a Versys?

As far as performance and quality, I want to avoid problems similar to those with Denali lights, which seem to work fine with most motorcycle models, but reportedly have a problem on Versys installations in which the lights flicker. As far as I know, the Clearwaters don't have this problem. But are there any other issues to watch for?

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't checked to see if my denalis flicker, but if they do, I see that as a plus since I added them to increase conspicuousness to oncoming traffic.

Never heard of the lights you are referring to. Do you have a link?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Clearwater lights are the really nice and really expensive.

It could be considered the Ultimate Farkle on a Versys!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Wow! Crazy expensive!

I got a Mondo lights kit for my concours for $129. Perfect for helping you remain conspicuous

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Clearwater lights are the really nice and really expensive.

It could be considered the Ultimate Farkle on a Versys!

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 07:16 PM

Loving my PIAA 1100 I bought from a member here on this site
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

They indeed are expensive. Also rugged, well-made (in the United States, I believe), and pretty, with an excellent reputation for customer service.

My son recently graduated from high school, and he is going to college in the fall. He was considering two state schools and two private schools, and he was leaning toward the state schools. If he chose a state school, I was going to reward myself with a second bike, probably a small supermoto like a Honda CRF 250L.

Alas, he chose a private school, so instead of buying another bike, I'm treating myself to some farkles, the Clearwater lights being the centerpiece.

I'll post installation pics after I order the lights and install them.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:07 AM

Garage
Holden I'm also interested in your pics. How did the installation turn out?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I'll see if I can post pictures this weekend. I installed the lights down low, hear the hub.

The installation was fairly easy. A few times I had to disconnect the electrical connections that I had made, because I needed to reroute wires. The project took maybe three hours, and I'm slow. The installation instructions were generic, and that's why it took some trial-and-error, some googling, and some studying of the Versys wiring diagram to get it right.

It was a year ago, so my memory is fuzzy, but I tapped into wires that I had to identify by the color of insulation. I'm not trained in reading wiring diagrams, so it took time to figure out which wires to tap into using the wiring diagram, and then I had to find the actual wires. Then I would route them awkwardly and have to redo the routing.

The lights are marvelous. I am so glad I have them. They seem to help me be seen, and they were handy during my fall trip to the mountains in North Carolina, when I rode a few times before the sun was fully up, and also I found myself frequently riding in fog and rain. If you were in or near Smoky Mountains National Park last Columbus Day weekend, you know what I'm talking about. On the rainy, foggy morning when I left to come home, a bear cub ran across the road about 75 yards ahead of me.

The lights came with aluminum brackets that are pliable. The plus: The bracket bent when I dropped the bike and again when I sideswiped the light against the bumper of the family car while I was pushing the bike into the garage. Because the bracket bent easily, the light was undamaged both times. And I bent the bracket straight, easily. The minus: The brackets can't be tightened very tightly. Consequently, the lights tend to gradually start pointing downward when the bike is ridden on rough roads. All I have to do is grab the lights and move them back a fraction of an inch so they're pointing straight ahead again.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

Last edited by Holden; 08-04-2015 at 12:53 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 PM

Garage
Thanks for the info Holden it is helpful. I recently installed the OEM led lights on my 2015. They are ok but don't blaze a trail like I hoped. Most non dot aftermarket leds put out TOO much light.

I was thinking to add the glendas where my stock reflectors are on my forks.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:45 PM

Garage
Jeez for $500 they would want to be gold plated and poo out diamonds
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm not supposed to tell you this, but when you rub a Glenda, a genie pops out and grants you three wishes. Today's genies have adopted LED technology and have left behind that old animal-fat lamp technology.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 06:11 PM

Garage
My versys is great. Now my drz is liken to riding with a scooby doo lantern taped to my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode