Windscreen Suggestions 10+ - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Windscreen Suggestions 10+

I know this is probably going to continue to beat the dead horse, but...

I have been searching far and wide to get windscreen recommendations for my 2014 v, but one of the problems that always pops up is that you guys, and many other people on other forums and reviews don't like giving away their height.

I have found that riding without the windscreen is much smoother than having it on in any position (where the terrible buffeting occurs), however, I need a windscreen to keep the kamikaze june bugs at bay.

About me: I'm short- 5'7, 30" inseam, wearing a Shoei Neotec modular helmet. I also have pretty wide shoulders

So, fellow V riders

-What windscreen do you have?
-What is your height + inseam
-Would you recommend it?
-Other stuff about it

Currently, the MRA Vario touring, Givi D410st, and ZG Sport Touring are on my radar but I really want to get some anecdotal stuff before dropping $120+

Got my versys today! (may 24 2014) In kawi green!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Well I am 6' 3" with a 36" inseam and had a hard time as well. Ended up with a standard MRA Touring in the #2 position without the deflector. I have no buffetting just clean wind hitting my helemt. I've never like big windscreens so this works just fine, for me. Everyone is different. I did try the Zero Gravity, liked the looks but had too much buffetting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 07:39 AM

I think a big part of the buffeting issue is the forward distance of the screen causing you to adjust where the buffeting hits ie high above your head or below your head which i hve found are the quiet zones. I have been contemplating a bracket that allows the screen to tilt back to the rider to help close the gap just a bit. The wind noise is my biggest complaint with this bike.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 08:31 AM

I have a Zero Gravity screen that just about duplicates the stock screen. I have it set in the top holes. It works very well for me but I'm not real picky.

I'm 5'9", 30" inseam. '12 Versys.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
i suffered a lot of buffeting with the Kawasaki Tall screen made by MRA
and did a bit or testing with risers looking for a fix. (search my posts)
I'm 6' 4". 195cm

I now have a Madstad 20in Sports screen and Robobrackets.
Unlimited adjustablity and easy to adjust in a few seconds..

in my eyes it was not worth spending the same money on a CaliSci or Givi after shipping to Australia and be disappointed as they only attach to stock location.

Last edited by Gigitt; 08-04-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added pics
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 02:48 PM

5'9", 30" inseam, and the MRA Touring screen works great for me. No vario or x-creen attachments, just the touring screen.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 03:26 PM

There is little hope with this bike.

Summer time I rock it nekkid with no wind screen.

Winter I slap on my Givi in the medium setting to keep the cold and rain off of my chest.

All options batter my head around. :\

Hooligan
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 01:03 PM

I use a Givi windscreen with some home-made aluminum risers that also bring the angle of the screen a little closer to vertical. The givi + my home made risers ( which I also drilled a ton of holes in so it remains fully adjustable) seems to allow me to ride in a nice no turbulence zone.

5'11

Last edited by Prime95; 08-04-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: photo upload
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Kawasaki vario screen.

I like to be in the clean air above the screen, but can put up the vario if it is raining or colder.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
2014 Versys

5'10", 29" inseam, 34" sleeve.

Factory windscreen was LOUD LOUD LOUD.

Installed Givi D410ST. Major improvement.

Would like something a fuzz taller and wider.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:20 AM

2011 Versys

Givi D410ST.

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 01:44 PM

Wouldn't ride without my Givi windscreen. It's what
Kawasaki should have put on the bike in the first place.

And it has the added bonus of making the V look better.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 PM

6'1", 35" inseam, my Givi D410st works great but does have some buffeting at 70+mph. I'm not to picky.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz View Post
6'1", 35" inseam, my Givi D410st works great but does have some buffeting at 70+mph. I'm not to picky.
Just ordered my Givi 410ST.
I'm 6' 0" 32 inseam and wonder what position 1, 2 or 3 are you fellas determining as the best?
I guessing Number 1, although currently I am running the damn stocker screen in #3 or tilted forward.
Thanks!

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have the powerbronze flip touring. I like it, im only short as well....5'8" and 30 in inseam. I took it out for a couple of test rides, much better than stock. I would also like to try the givi and madstad as well.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan2112 View Post
...I guessing Number 1, although currently I am running the damn stocker screen in #3 or tilted forward.
Thanks!
I run Madstad brackets on my Vs, and EXCEPT in a rain-storm I run the stock screen laid BACK towards me, w/ NO helmet buffet. In rain I "stand it up", which buffets my helmet, but allows the rain to blow clear.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:56 PM

CalSci XL
6' 2" 34" inseam,
I'd recommend it for anything under 70mph.
In any position, I get some headache-inducing buffeting above ~70mph that makes road trips uncomfortable unless I duck my head down. Everything I've seen indicates the screen is in the right position for me (I don't want to look through it). Other than that, it's great for keeping the cold out in the colder months.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Well I am 6' 3" with a 36" inseam and had a hard time as well. Ended up with a standard MRA Touring in the #2 position without the deflector. I have no buffetting just clean wind hitting my helemt. I've never like big windscreens so this works just fine, for me. Everyone is different. I did try the Zero Gravity, liked the looks but had too much buffetting.
I bought AlaskaJeff's ZG windscreen and liked it for awhile, but on my recent 2400 mile road trip, the buffeting became too much. I bought the MRA X-Creen Sport halfway through my trip and it's made a big difference. Still not sure if the ZG is the right one for me. The problem that I encounter now, related to wind noise more than buffeting, is probably due to cross winds. Still trying to figure out how to reduce helmet noise.

I'm 5'11", 30" inseam (according to pant size). I've also raised the front of my seat maybe 1/2" to 3/4".

I'd love to try the MRA screen with the x-creen

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:08 PM

I'm 6'2" 34 inseam.. I did this.. works great.. replaced the small spoiler with my stock windshield, then raised the whole thing about 2 inches.. works fantastic. with taller windshields your trying to send the wind over you, I attempted to remove the buffeting.. I basically split the "dirty air" coming at me.. fully adjustable... 75mph.. no buffeting at all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys windshield 001.jpg (52.5 KB, 565 views)
File Type: jpg versys windshield 002.jpg (70.2 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg versys windshield 003.jpg (57.6 KB, 550 views)
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:17 PM

I have the Givi mounted in the lowest position for my 5'-10" height and have never felt the need to change it. It came with my 2008 bike along with a lowering kit and the Givi rack. It works beautifully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode