Traxxion AK-20 Cartridges - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Traxxion AK-20 Cartridges

As some of you may recall I re-valved my stock forks a few years ago. I made the stock valving change to try and get some of the harshness out of hitting square edge cracks and such. The low speed bigger movements, braking dive, etc was never terrible. Which is good because changing the stock rebound control was much more difficult to change. So I rode it for 4 years and the whole time I always wanted the forks to be better. So lately I boiled it down to getting an adventure bike with a 19" front and some adjustability or keeping the V and trying out the Traxxion AK-20 cartridges.

I choose to keep the bike primarily because it fits me well and secondly because, IF the Traxxion mod worked, the $1300 was way cheaper than selling and getting a new bike.

I think if you feel like the suspension up front needs to be better you will appreciate the ride that the AK-20s give. Traxxion recommends and by default provides .90kg springs, which are on the firm side for solo riding. The replacement cartridges provide for rebound bleed in one leg and compression bleed in the other via the provided fork caps.

The bleed adjusters don't click but rather give you 3 turns of adjustment. They recommend starting at 1.5 turns out. I dialed in the rebound first. I tried 1 turn out and it slowed too much and found for me 1 1/4 turns was perfect. But you'll find the rebound bleed gives some amazing control that was not available with the stock fork. The compression bleeder doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. I ended up turning it all the way out. The compression bleed typically has effect on "low speed" events which aren't something i'm usually tuning for on the street.

The valving in both forks feels very good. Compared to stock the bike handling tightens up, the cracks in the road disappear, and the dips through the low water crossings are a pleasure.

The quality of the cartridges are excellent and the spring's rates measured as advertised on my intercomp load cell.

I measured the stock springs on my '08 to be .85kg/mm and for solo riding would think that the Traxxion units would perform even better with the lighter springs.

Basically the Traxxion AK-20s come with all new insides for your forks. The only thing you re-use is the base bolt and oring on the fork cap. Seems like for the price those things could be included. Traxxion does include a cartridge holding tool for the new AK-20s.

No special tools are required to remove the old cartridges. Just take out the base bolt and unscrew the cap and the whole thing slides out in one piece.

What you will need if you choose to do it yourself is a way to support your bike while the forks are removed and a way to compress the spring to install the new cartridges.

I ride the hill country west of Austin all the way out to the Three Sisters area and the bike is now amazing. I've since added an Ohlins KA907 shock and a dunlop 616 front tire. It just keeps getting better. I'm very happy I stuck with the V. Basically for 2K I got a new bike because that kawi parallel twin will last forever. I just wish I'd have done the forks sooner. I could have avoided many of those pucker times going through a wash board corner. Now the front tire finally stays on the ground.

I'll try to attach some picks of the cartridges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the fork caps, cartridge comparison, and Ohlins shock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2577-AK20.jpg (64.5 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg TraxxionAK20vsVersysStockCartridge.jpg (22.8 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2550-Ohlins-KA907.jpg (58.4 KB, 546 views)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 PM

Sounds great! I'd love to upgrade the shocks on the Versys, but don't have the money for it. I'm sure even the lesser expensive options would be improvements too, but there are other items that are out of my budget and higher on my list. I need to win the lottery or something. Even a small win of a few grand would be ok.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 05:57 PM

Great information! Thanks for posting.

Kurt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 06:59 PM

nice upgrade

Lots of people would think you're crazy spending that much on suspension, but it truly makes the bike and is probably the best money spent after the power commander IMHO.
I'm still fiddling with the fork, tuning with just oil weight up front, and dropping down to an 850# spring in the rear.
It looks like you could swap out the spring on the ohlins without having to use a spring compressor to change it, which I have to do on the elka. nice feature.
rear- what are your setup #'s and spring rate?

Holla, Kurt! I'm mostly in Santa Rosa now and haven't gone on a BARF ride in forever, but I'll bet you're holding it down.

Last edited by tomla; 08-06-2014 at 07:07 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 11:41 PM

Very good info!

I have been lusting after a Traxxion kit of the Versys. That is my biggest gripe... I did the R1 shock swap (which was money well spent) but the forks are just "meh" when pushed hard.

But before people should go dropping $$$$ on suspension upgrades. Get a quality set of tires, and adjust air pressures accordingly. That makes a massive difference as well.

Hooligan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
Holla, Kurt! I'm mostly in Santa Rosa now and haven't gone on a BARF ride in forever, but I'll bet you're holding it down.
Hey, Tom! I look to your posts when I want the good info.

We're still doing the rallies, and I still ride a V to and from work. Last month, I was over in the UK doing some riding, but I was having too much fun in the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales, and the Hyperpro has sprung a leak. Good excuse for an upgrade if you ask me. Checking out threads here for ideas.

Kurt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode