Trying to salvage my TBR exhaust - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Trying to salvage my TBR exhaust

I noticed the other day that my two brothers exhaust sounded a little funny so I felt around while it was running and sure enough there was a pretty good leak coming from the inlet end.

Now I've heard of these things falling apart on all sorts of twins but I was kinda hoping to be the exception... I love the sound of the TBR and the carbon fiber version is what happened to come up for sale used, so I took a shot knowing this day would probably come. Supposedly the cause of this is the packing material breaking down and not being replaced in a timely manner. (At least thats what two brothers says)

So I figured I should try to repair it before the muffler falls off as some have experienced. I bought a repack kit, but as I took it apart I saw that the CF at the inlet end was all breaking down and brittle about the last 1/2". This caused the rivets to all pull through on that end.

Here are the options that I've come up with:
1-Shorten the muffler about a half inch and wait for this to happen again.
2-Somehow reinforce the end so the stress isn't on the carbon fiber.
3-Replace the carbon fiber sleeve with another material (alu. or stainless, cutting a pipe section down to 10" and squishing it would be ideal)

Any experience out there?
What are the odds I could find a thin piece of pipe with a circumference of 13.5"?

Luck favors the prepared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:37 PM

Garage
I would go with you last option. Remove the damaged C/F and replace this with a s/s or alu. strip all the way around. Then attached the end cap to this.

There appears to be a heat build up around the end cap, which is cooking the C/F, so it's going to happen again. If you can dissipate heat in this area, you might get more life out of the muffler. I have the Yoshi muffler and this is what they done as standard, so there must be a reason for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys yoshi 2.jpg (47.5 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by eddieglitter; 06-12-2014 at 06:41 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:46 PM

If the muffler is round purchase a section of stainless steel exhaust tubing of the correct diameter and rebuild the muffler using the existing end caps and your newly purchased packing kit.

Do a Google search for stainless exhaust tubing.
There are a number of sources. The performance car parts web sites are a good place to look, such as Jegs.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
If the muffler is round purchase a section of stainless steel exhaust tubing of the correct diameter and rebuild the muffler using the existing end caps and your newly purchased packing kit.

Do a Google search for stainless exhaust tubing.
There are a number of sources. The performance car parts web sites are a good place to look, such as Jegs.
Thanks, that search came up with some decent results!
The size of the pipe is a little odd though (4.3 inch outside diameter if round) and it's an oval shape, I don't think it'd be to hard to squeeze it though. I've got an email into a company near Buffalo to see if they can make me a pipe the right size.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 PM

Contact Two brothers and order the outer shell made of aluminum or stainless as a replacement.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You can only shorten the muffler if it uses a wrap around strap to bolt it to the bike.

It there is a mounting flange made as part of the muffler body then shortening the muffler can means the mount fixing point will move forward.
OR You might get away with it if the slip on front pipe is long enough to keep the original mount point. I know on my Leo Vince there is about 2.5in of slip on pipe area and then there is a bulge/bead in the slip on pipe that seal the muffler sort of seals onto.
You might need to fab up a short bracket.

It is a pity the CF has cooked, but that is the nature of the CF mufflers. CF is for weight saving not longevity.

Post us some pics of how you fix it.

Good luck
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've been meaning to get a hold of them but their call center closes at 5 and apparently they don't email??

If it's a large $ savings I'll drill some holes and squeeze a piece of pipe.

Btw here are some pictures of the CF and the shot packing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.8 KB, 143 views)

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
And the outside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.9 KB, 130 views)

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 08:40 AM

I had a TBR CF exhaust just like that on my 650R, and one day I was riding down the highway just about to go into the tunnel in Boston, and WAAAAAA!!!!! the whole back of the exhaust blew off landed on the highway and I was open header with a CF megaphone all the way through Boston for about 45 mins. It was seriously awful. At the time I talked to a few friends and they advised me that they have heard of that happening to other people too. I contacted TBR and they pretty much said there is nothing they could do. After that I went with a muzzy slip on and loved it. I wouldn't consider TBR ever again due to price, quality and customer service.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 09:00 PM

Two Brothers recommends repacking their exhaust every 3k miles. If you want a short carbon fiber exhaust I would recommend the one I purchased. Delkevic DS70 is just 225 shipped from them. Their carbon fiber ones are not repackable, though their steel exhaust is, at 45 bucks for a repack kit. Upon calling I was told I should get years of use out of the exhaust even as a daily rider. Don't know how true that is, but at that cost, I thought it was worth it. In the instructions it did say it wasn't uncommon for some large twins to possibly need repacking at 10k depending upon how it is ridden. I run mine with the included baffle and it sounds amazing.

I know your trying to salvage your existing exhaust, but just in case you weigh the cost and labor and decide not too, I thought I would throw another option at ya.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
On to something

Called two brothers and they'll send me an aluminum sleeve for $50 shipped which I didn't think was bad at all. The guy said he'd throw in a couple end caps in case the ones I have don't match up with the new hole pattern.
Should have it in a week or so from Cali.

They were nice people to deal with, which was a pleasant surprise! What I've read online is mostly about their terrible customer service.
Although I wasn't calling to yell at them either...

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Glad they are hooking you up.

But if you think two brothers sounds good... You should hear a muzzy or yoshi exhaust!

Hooligan
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:36 AM

I loved my muzzy. I had a megaphone slip-on on my 650R I tried looking up one for the versys, but had no luck. Am I missing something?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:03 AM

Your problem is not uncommon with 2 Bros CF exhausts. I had a customer who had his can fall off on the highway and 2 bros refused to warranty it. However, I have a friend who is running one on an ER6N that came with the bike. he had to get some parts and 2 bros just sent him parts no questions asked.

I think, if you want to keep what you have, then try and replace your CF can with aluminum or whatever takes your fancy really.

On the other hand I would quite like to see you try and salvage the CF tube just to see if it can be done. If it goes terribly wrong then your not out anything and we would all learn from your experience if you post your findings.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The last half inch or so of carbon fiber that comes in contact with the aluminum inlet has been literally shaken to pieces and is now very bendy and the fibers are pulling apart.The rest of the CF seems to be sturdy and makes a nice "tunk" when you tap it.
My research on ninja 650 forums gave me the idea of cutting off the bad CF (guy said he did it with a dremel) and redrilling the holes for the rivets. But another post over there reported that his rivets pulled through the CF a second time...
Instead of shortening the sleeve every X amount of miles I figured I should just replace it with aluminum and be done with it.

I'll update when the new sleeve gets here

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
I loved my muzzy. I had a megaphone slip-on on my 650R I tried looking up one for the versys, but had no luck. Am I missing something?
Halfway down the page under the ZZR's http://search.cartserver.com/search/...s=100&go=GO%21
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Since carbon fiber, actually the epoxy resin that holds the fibers together, is sensitive to high temperatures, I'm not sure this is the best material for an exhaust system in the first place.

Since the muffler is mounted on the lowest part of the bike and centrally, I can't see the effect of any weight savings from an after market exhaust or carbon fiber having any noticeable effect.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Carbon fiber 2.0

My new aluminum sleeve came in yesterday so I got my exhaust replaced and put together this afternoon. Pretty happy with it!
It took quite a bit of finagling but it was worth it.

...now I'm thinking about painting that gold tip black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.9 KB, 79 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode