Need help with aftermarket exhaust mod. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need help with aftermarket exhaust mod.

I recently installed arrow exhaust on my 2012 V. i like the sound, but here is what i noticed.

1) Fuel economy decreased from 230-250 miles per tank to 160-180 miles per tank.

2)Engine feels "Stressed" on 6th gear on highway doing 75. it was smoother with stock.

3)Engine braking significantly reduced.

4)Clutch acts differently now, engages at the 75% released state.

Any idea on after exhaust mods?

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:57 PM

Check for leaks, my Delkevic 14" Tri Oval (on a 2013 Versys) seems just the opposite, smooth high speed throttle, no engine struggle or clutch issues, engine braking seems much better. Not sure on gas but probably a bit less due to the throttle / sound factor. If anything it does feel more open (a tad less compression) but nothing that causes any disappointment. I took it out on the twisties yesterday for the first time - awesome, the fact that I could really hear the engine in the curves, downshifting and accelerations, IMO made for a better more connected performance on the course. I hope you can remedy the issues with your exhaust.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.Russian View Post
I recently installed arrow exhaust on my 2012 V. i like the sound, but here is what i noticed.

1) Fuel economy decreased from 230-250 miles per tank to 160-180 miles per tank.

That's because your revving it harder to listen to the sound

2)Engine feels "Stressed" on 6th gear on highway doing 75. it was smoother with stock.

Probably your interpretation of the sound

Less back pressure?

The exhaust cannot affect the clutch, unless the engine is getting hotter?

My LeoVince underbody has made no difference to economy or engine braking, the only difference is the noise.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I also have Leo Vince Underbody. 2012 Versys model.

Engine braking is noticeably reduced and used all the time now downshifting through the gears - Gotta love all the burbling and pops.
With stock the Engine braking was harsh and abrupt - eg ball squashing abrupt, and downshifting was not fun 3rd-2nd

Engine is also much easier to ride, and feels freer in the upper rpm's. It was hard to get to 7k on stock and now easy to get to 8-9k.

No issues with the clutch - I suggest you oil the clutch cable - oiling made a lot of difference for me.

I also noticed calmer gear changes. Stock exhaust with all the extra back pressure kind of grabbed the clutch on clutching and if your revs were not nicely matched jerked you on the change - now it is so much more forgiving.

I do suffer lower MPG... but that is because it is so much nicer to ride and I get up into higher revs than before.
BUT also because I need to get over the 2800-3500 rpm stuttering from the poor ECU fuel Map at these revs (I have stock o2 sensor) - I have ordered an PCV+AutoTune to fix this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Anyone knows what would change if i would change rear sprocket to 44t?

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
2 teeth!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
less acceleration in lower gears around city.
this means 1st gear is more usable and top gear you use less rpm for same speed = better MPG

You could say the gearing is now less aggressive.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 10:15 PM

Garage
Hey Gigitt,
I just completed the same mod (LV Underbody) on my 2013. I agree with everything that you've listed. So true! I wanted to know whether you completed the PCV Autotune mod to correct your fuel efficiency. Anything to report?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I also have Leo Vince Underbody. 2012 Versys model.

Engine braking is noticeably reduced and used all the time now downshifting through the gears - Gotta love all the burbling and pops.
With stock the Engine braking was harsh and abrupt - eg ball squashing abrupt, and downshifting was not fun 3rd-2nd

Engine is also much easier to ride, and feels freer in the upper rpm's. It was hard to get to 7k on stock and now easy to get to 8-9k.

No issues with the clutch - I suggest you oil the clutch cable - oiling made a lot of difference for me.

I also noticed calmer gear changes. Stock exhaust with all the extra back pressure kind of grabbed the clutch on clutching and if your revs were not nicely matched jerked you on the change - now it is so much more forgiving.

I do suffer lower MPG... but that is because it is so much nicer to ride and I get up into higher revs than before.
BUT also because I need to get over the 2800-3500 rpm stuttering from the poor ECU fuel Map at these revs (I have stock o2 sensor) - I have ordered an PCV+AutoTune to fix this.

Binderline
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hi Binderline,

So I have been running the PowerCommander V with AutoTune 200 for quite a while now.
Not much changed. will get about 320km with 80% highway 20% city commute but generally just under 290-300 in the city. alot of stop start traffic and low speed crawling. It is just a awesome bike to ride so I do give it a bit which does not help!

My stuttering never went away.

I have only just last week done the Throttle Body sensor mod to see if this helps out. The PCV can do a throttle sensor calibration and this shows you the output voltage.
This means you can adjust the TBS precisely and set it back to your OEM setting if you don't like it.

Anyway doing the TBS mod made a huge difference in the Off to On throttle jerkiness - now throttle comes on soft rather than a thumping jerk.

The stuttering is still evident but I feel it is now softer like a repetitive surge than stu-stu-stuttering.

Oh and I have a +1 tooth front sprocket (16T) that made a huge difference to riding and 1 and 2nd gear are much more useable in hairpins and downshifting for slow speed crawling.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.Russian View Post

Change back to OEM exhaust. Even carbed exhausts are better oem at least 95% of the time, but EFI exhausts are near 100% of the time are better left OEM stock because they are so finely tuned to work at all. It's your engine and your life if you want to be sputtering while a car runs over you. Good luck and real good observations!! You hit it right on the head: no advantage at all for 3rd party exhausts on efi bikes.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Change back to OEM exhaust. Even carbed exhausts are better oem at least 95% of the time, but EFI exhausts are near 100% of the time are better left OEM stock because they are so finely tuned to work at all. It's your engine and your life if you want to be sputtering while a car runs over you. Good luck and real good observations!! You hit it right on the head: no advantage at all for 3rd party exhausts on efi bikes.
If one doesn't invest in aftermarket FI tuning, then I'd agree.

My bud has a Ninja 650 and he bought some racing pipe and PC/map for and he said the power increase was off the charts. Problem was, the damn thing was so loud he was embarrassed to ride it around his neighbors. He settled for a Leo Vince (which looked and sounded much better) and its associated FI map and he was satisfied. Per his accounts, it didn't make the power the race pipe did, but was still better than stock and made is sound more motorsickly than sewing machinery. I rode it with the Leo Vince and didn't notice anything wrong with the fueling.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
If one doesn't invest in aftermarket FI tuning, then I'd agree.

My bud has a Ninja 650 and he bought some racing pipe and PC/map for and he said the power increase was off the charts. Problem was, the damn thing was so loud he was embarrassed to ride it around his neighbors. He settled for a Leo Vince (which looked and sounded much better) and its associated FI map and he was satisfied. Per his accounts, it didn't make the power the race pipe did, but was still better than stock and made is sound more motorsickly than sewing machinery. I rode it with the Leo Vince and didn't notice anything wrong with the fueling.
The only way that can happen is if it is close or near the same pipe flow. I'd agree that a similar tuned pipe w/o cats and lighter weight may be an option, but most companies are not going to invest the dollars to tune it right. Plus oem has millions invested in its exhaust tuning. The oem Vs. 650 exhaust rocks! I just don't understand why someone would logically want to change, but that's ok with me too on their bike, if I don't have to hear it backfire. Peace.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 08:46 PM

I have a Akrapovic.

Lighter decent sound and no bad herky jerky or popping.

While I get everyone's point on the factory exhaust we must all admit the legal departments have sucked the sound out of the factory pipes. Until that goes back in people will desire to switch them out. The sound is part of the experience of a motorcycle, I am not saying it has to be silly loud but we all want to hear the engine when we make that perfect rev matched downshift and then power out of the corner.

So until this hits home with the OEM's factory pipes will live most of their lives on garage shelves.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 09:30 PM

Some of don't want to be conspicuous. I like quiet pipes. Most aftermarket cans don't add any hp and can cost hp.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 01:48 AM

Garage
I have the arrow slip-on and nothing changed but sound.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
am i the only one that likes the stock can? it combined with loud horn is fun... i sneak up behind people walking and BBEEEEEEEEEEPPPPP!!!!! they jump 50 feet... i cant do that on the bobber with its loud cherry bombs

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
am i the only one that likes the stock can?...
Nope. BUNCH of us prefer the OEM muffler.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode