Steel Brake Line Mod - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Steel Brake Line Mod

Was embarrassed awhile back in an emergency stop situation (by about a bike length) while pretty much side by side with a riding buddy at around 60mph.

Embarrassed partly as outbraking others is something that I take pride in (aided in getting more trophys racing MX, and has aided me in staying alive on the street).

And partly as my bike's a 2012 Versys (not Ducati but modern streetbike, right?).

I was smoked by a 2000 ZRX1100 with stock brake pads/lines.

The V's stoppers are OK out of the box but...something had to be done.

Enter new SS braided brake lines front and rear.

Huge difference in feel (moreso the front). There's now a progression in stopping power. Haven't taken any measurements but it “feels” like I can stop Alot quicker.

Haven't tried em in the wet yet but thinking they'll really shine there.

I went with Core Moto as they're local, kindof and up and comer, and the owner seems to know his craft.

No doubt any top brand will yield the same results though.

I upgraded the rear lines for the first time ever, just to experience the difference for myself.

Do them if you want, I feel a slight difference, but the front is where the big payoff is.

Haven't upgraded pads yet as I wanted to see the diff in lines alone for starts.

Not super happy with the rubber fittings provided in the kit, going to re-purpose some other rubber grommets to clean the look up some.

Anyhow. Steel brake lines...Great mod for the Versys. Slowing/Stopping well, is big.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V rear 1.jpg (63.4 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg V front 1.jpg (63.5 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg V front 2.jpg (74.6 KB, 429 views)

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 06:09 PM

looks good my friend just put a set of these on his GSXR nice exact fit no guess work. I would recommend these line especially at there prices. I will be ordering a set when payday comes Just need to figure out the color I want .
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
looks good my friend just put a set of these on his GSXR nice exact fit no guess work. I would recommend these line especially at there prices. I will be ordering a set when payday comes Just need to figure out the color I want .
Forgot to mention the color thing...that's one of the cool things about these guys.

You can specify the color of the fittings, steel line cover, and the core tag. With pretty much every color available.

I went kinda subdued with the gold fittings, carbon look line cover, and black/orange core tag.

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:27 PM

Have had my versys for about a year now, the brakes seamed fine until I tested a dl1000 , so after getting back on my v I now see that the brakes are not even in the same ballpark as fine, going to be upgrading the brakes soon, on a sidenote the dl1000 is a nice bike with good power but until the versys 1000 gets sold in the US I will not even think of upgrading to anything else.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:36 PM

Versys brakes are known to be very poor. I'm trying to think of a bike I have owned in the past 20 plus years with poorer braking performance...hmmmmm ...nope, I cannot do it. It does stop better than my 1971 Cheverolet Impala, but that's about it.

I'm no diplomat
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
Versys brakes are known to be very poor. I'm trying to think of a bike I have owned in the past 20 plus years with poorer braking performance...hmmmmm ...nope, I cannot do it. It does stop better than my 1971 Cheverolet Impala, but that's about it.
I had a 1973 Monte Carlo that had good brakes even compared to the v and the v65 magna I had a few years ago was also far superior to the v, hopefully with some money and some wrenches I will be able to get em better.

Last edited by chwhnd; 06-02-2014 at 05:47 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:01 PM

@chwhnd Amen brother, LOL...I was afraid of another head butting...did you miss my post praising the Versys

I'm no diplomat
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 PM

You guys must be carrying some serious weight on this bike or the 2013's came with better brakes. I don't see any problems under normal circumstances. I go from the V to the ABS C14, not a thought of; 'wow I wish the brakes on the versys were better'! I had an 03' k12gt with ABS and a ZZR1200 without it, alternating riding each one - they seemed fine to me. Maybe it's cause I have not had to do a panic stop or maybe because most of my rides are less than an hour. For the size of this little thing, it just seems to me that the brakes are adequate.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 PM

Same here. Other rides ZX-10R (super brakes) KLR650 (crappy brakes).
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Clean looking install.

I've got the Galfer kit from Twisted Throttle... just haven't installed it yet.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
You need to buy a pre-2010 KLR. I think the '71 Impala would outbrake it...

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
You need to buy a pre-2010 KLR. I think the '71 Impala would outbrake it...
Not true...you just need a BIG Anchor to toss off the back! OR a soft bush to crash into!

I thought the brakes on my Versys were just fine after climbing off the KLR with it's, I think I can, I think I can brakes, MAYBE I can!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I have found a pad upgrade to say ebc hh will make a bigger difference.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
EBC HH are next. Have heard all good things. Need to restock Versys fund first.

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 06:35 PM

O.E.M. pads are HH.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
O.E.M. pads are HH.
Upgrade meaning...the EBC HH sintered pads.

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:31 PM

I've gone from O.E.M. HH pads to EBC HH on other Kawasakis and couldn't tell any difference.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I've gone from O.E.M. HH pads to EBC HH on other Kawasakis and couldn't tell any difference.
If you brake hard you will notice a big difference. Any brake pad can apply enough braking force to lock a wheel. The difference is in how they feel at the lever, which in turn determines how hard you are willing to brake without risking lockup of the front wheel. If the front wheel locks, you crash. The stock pads bite suddenly with only slight lever pressure and the point of lock up is harder to predict with them. The EBC HH pads are much more gradual and linear (with respect to lever pressure) in applying stopping force as a result they allow harder braking, via easier modulation, without making you feel lockup is imminent.

I've done the steel line mod with EBC HH pads on a previous bike and just the EBC HH pads on the Versys. The pads make a much bigger difference than the steel lines IMO.

What some people refer to as bad brakes on the Versys is in fact the long travel suspension diving under hard braking IMO. No one complains about bad brakes on any other of the many Kawasaki bikes that use the identical brake components as the Versys. You can also control dive somewhat by increasing fork preload.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-26-2014 at 12:52 AM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 06:39 AM

I agree that the brakes on the Versys aren't bad and that it has lots of brake dive because of the relatively long suspension travel. Setting the preload pretty stiff eliminates much of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode