Peg lowering for bad knees - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
NYG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Peg lowering for bad knees

I have searched the forum and found quite a bit on the Motoworks peg lowering kit; many of the responses are from taller guys with space issues. I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam, so the geometry should be pretty good. The problem is I have one really bad arthritic knee and one fairly uncomfortable one.

The question is: are the lower pegs worth it to alleviate bad knee pain. An inch or inch-and-a-half doesn't sound like much, but I'm hoping the new geometry will help out with pain. I have a long-for-me trip coming up and would like to avoid highway pegs as I have no crash bars and a California model (despite buying it in and living in New York). Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Garage
I am 6', but only a 30" inseam. I knoticed a huge difference with the peg lowering blocks. I have had my acl done on one knee and I deffinatly like the geometry with them lowered on that knee.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:56 PM
LDB

I plan to do that to mine but just got it and haven't gotten to it yet. I suspect it will make a definite difference in comfort. One of the photos I saw looks like that not only does it lower the pegs a bit over an inch but also moves them forward a bit which further reduces the severity of the angle on the knees. Good luck with your trip.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 05:15 PM

It's not much of a drop true, BUT the difference to me was great indeed. I have about a 31" inseam and really bad aim! I was on my mountain bike years ago in VA and zigged when I should have zagged and smack and very large rock, about the size of a car! With my right knee and that knee has never been the same since.

I have problems with tightness and pain after a bit and thought the Moto Werk lower kit wouldn't really help that much but was willing to try anything. I can't say if the drop did it OR the angle or a combination of the two but I can ride all day and the only discomfort I run in to is from my bladder! They are well worth the cost.

I did a Seat Concepts kit and +1 firmness foam and that also gives me a bit more legroom. I'm so happy with their kit I just sold the Sargents Saddle off my KLR and am going to order a kit from them for it.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
6'2" fat guy with arthritas in my hip and knees. The peg lowering blocks made a big improvement for me. MotoWerk has the Highway Peg Mounts for the Cali Models also. ...http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Highway...REVC-CALED.htm

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'll add my "agree" to those already posted. I'm a youthful 69 years of age and fractured both knee caps years ago. Add to that an osteoarthritic left hip. The Motor Werk lowering kit is worth it's weight in gold. If it helps your decision process, I'm 5' 11" and have a 29" inseam.

The difference isn't much but it makes a huge difference, at least for me.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 PM
LDB

You can go here and put in your info for height etc. and then adjust the ergonomics and see how it affects riding position.

http://cycle-ergo.com

Ergonomics Chart Similar To BMW seat bike selector Active as of 01 01 2017

Last edited by onewizard; 01-10-2017 at 08:49 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
NYG

Thank you everyone. It sounds like it isn't just for tall guys. For 47 bucks I think I'll go for it.

LDB--those graphics showed a good deal of leg position change.

Arion,Weljo and Time--It 's amazing how many of us who were active young have a host of joint problems now.

Hawkshot--As a fellow Poughkeepsie guy, I had three knee surgeries at St. Francis hospital in the early '90's--finally went to Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan and they did a better job.

I'm planning a Mt Washington and Concord, NH trip early in the summer and was dreading what my knees would feel like at the end of a ten to eleven hour riding day. I think with the Airhawk raising me a bit and the lowered pegs dropping a bit, I should find several comfortable positions.

I really appreciate the prompt, on-issue responses.

Thanks again,

Mike
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My problems stem from motocross,football injury and being hit by a car. But it beats being a couch potato.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 11:57 PM
LDB

Yes, if you put in a 1" peg lowering plus a 1" bar rise plus a half inch seat rise due to Air Hawk or whatever else the combination makes a very big change in knee angle and hip angle. I want to do the peg lower, bar riser, mirror extender and frame lower kits from them eventually.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:46 AM

Cool link LDB

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 PM

I know you said you didn't really want highway pegs but that's probably the best way to address your discomfort. For any type of long distance riding, you really need to be able to move around and reposition your legs even if it's just for a few minutes.

I have some highway pegs installed on the SW-Motech crash bars and they help out a lot. I also find that that standing up on the pegs every once in a while helps too.

I just installed a Seat Concepts seat that is slightly taller than the stock seat but it didn't seem to make that much of a difference as far as foot/leg position is concerned. Certainly not enough to eliminate sore knees.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
...The question is: are the lower pegs worth it to alleviate bad knee pain. An inch or inch-and-a-half doesn't sound like much, but I'm hoping the new geometry will help out with pain....
My knees got a bit of a thrashing skiing (5'10", 31" inseam), and I find the MotoWerks 'peg lowering makes my Vs "all-day-rideable". (Just rode two 9.5 hour days last week... )

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Yes, if you put in a 1" peg lowering plus a 1" bar rise plus a half inch seat rise due to Air Hawk or whatever else the combination makes a very big change in knee angle and hip angle. I want to do the peg lower, bar riser, mirror extender and frame lower kits from them eventually.
I have the peg lowering kit and bar riser, and it's a significant change. Much closer to the seating position I had on my KLR. For me (6'0", 32" inseam), it's much more comfortable than stock.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:25 PM

cant go wrong. I was in doubt when i got them however I could not believe the difference. I had to try something because it was painful for my knees at the stock height. night and day. 6'2 32 inch inseam. totally worth it.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 PM
djg

6' 3", 34" inseam. The peg lowering kit, Baldwin tall gel seat, and some rubber mount bar risers all helped me a bit. Nothing jaw dropping, except the seat has a better contour to keep you from slowly sliding down and forward into the tank. My knees are OK.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 11:11 PM

6' 2" with 32" inseam and the peg lowering was a very early mod. I added a Baldwin tall seat and now it's close to perfect. One bad knee and a hip that's going and that $50, 20 minute mod was worth it's weight in gold. I probably wouldn't have bought the Versys if I hadn't known about that kit. It was here in the garage when I brought her home and it got done the next morning.

I played with various bars and risers and settled on the ATV Low bars without a riser.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

Last edited by kimel; 05-29-2014 at 11:15 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
34" inseam, bad knees. The cure; pegs lowered, Seat Concepts and re-positioned handlebar slightly (tipped back). Relief.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
NYG

Thanks everybody. Peg lowering kit ordered. It sounds like it will help with the knees.

Mtcycle--I may end up going with the highway pegs, but I really don't do many long rides, so I'm hoping I'll be okay. Where are you upstate? I'm in the northern capital region.

Thanks again,

Mike
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
NYG

Lowering the pegs was quite easy; Speedy's kit worked well, and once my color printer at work was functioning, I could print off the directions. So far, I only have one short ride in but they feel good. My brake pad is now aligned slightly oddly with my foot, so I'll be moving that around a bit this weekend.

Thanks again for the input.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode