Progressive Suspension 465 1182? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Progressive Suspension 465 1182?

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Suspension-Series-Monotube-Shocks/dp/B00BRAQTK2/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1400135742&sr=1-5&keywords=versys+shockHas anyone tried one of these? I've used Progressive on many of my cruisers in the past....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone.........Anyone......Bueller......Bueller... ....???
At least can someone give me the static measurement (eye to eys) of our shocks on the V2 if it's different than the V1.

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am not a fan of progressive springs so it would be worthwhile to ask what spring rates are available. Having said that my own spring is slightly progressive at 13.6 to 16 Kg/mm only to cope for occasional luggage. The very wide progressive spring rates offered as a one size fits all solution are rarely compatible with performance.

Quality rear shocks are not cheap and you should make sure that you are getting the correct spring rate and valving to suit your weight and riding conditions. An off the shelf, one size fits all solution is rarely optional.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thats what I figured, thanks Robert

2011 ADVersys

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Jeff - have a read thru the threads on the Yamaha R1 shocks - I have them on both my Vs (13.8kg/mm springs as I weigh 180# 'soaking wet', probably 195 to 200 ready-to-ride), and they work REALLY well!

One of the first guys to do that mod said it makes the ride "plush", and I agree!

- -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1shock1 copy.jpg (104.6 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg R1shock2 copy.jpg (88.9 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg R1shock3 copy.jpg (55.2 KB, 342 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-16-2014 at 12:29 PM.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Banned

I went this route, Hyperpro progressive rate spring [prt no. SP-KA06-SSB018] for the stock rear shock.
I found it to be a substantial improvement over the OEM rear spring.

Last edited by Seeya; 05-17-2014 at 04:03 PM.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Jeff - have a read thru the threads on the Yamaha R1 shocks - I have them on both my Vs (13.8kg/mm springs as I weigh 180# 'soaking wet', probably 195 to 200 ready-to-ride), and they work REALLY well!

One of the first guys to do that mod said it makes the ride "plush", and I agree!

- -

I had an R1 shock on mine for a bit. Really enjoyed it! Just picked up a Warrior spring to swap it over (R1 Spring is too soft for anything other than myself on the bike)

Hopefully will be able to slap that on here shortly.

Hooligan
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 12:01 AM

Hyperpro is progressive and a crude attempt for a one size fits all solution

Consider the case of a 50 Kg solo rider and 2 x 100 Kg twinkie eaters with their luggage. The progressive spring Vendors will offer one size spring to fit both these applications and common sense will tell you that it cannot be ideal for either application.

Setting of rider sag is an important part of suspension set up and I typically set the bike + rider at 25% of the total suspension travel. Easy with a linear rate shock but with a progressive rate one is adjusting into the progressive range and "stiffening" the shock rather than adjusting preload.

Getting spring rates out of Hyperpro Holland was like pulling teeth, with excuses ranging from I would not understand, to we use a proprietary measuring method that is not comparable to other methods.
Finally they gave me a range of "frontspring (SIC) runs from 6n/mm to 15 n/mm"
"The rear from 150 to 300n/mm"

The stock Versys rear rate is 16 Kg/mm and many "average" 75 - 80 Kg riders have gone for a lighter range. Assuming that the lighter linear range is preferable for the "average" rider, it would follow that Hyperpro despite its claims to the contrary is far too oversprung

If your shock Vendor is not asking your weight and riding style run to someone that does so
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Progressive Suspension 465-1182/465-1183 Shock

Have one of these on the way. $360 Amazon. Did some research and decided to update my stock shock. The Versys uses the 465-1182 standard length or the 465-1183 to lower rear 1".
Progressive Suspension does not use a progressive wound spring on the Versys application. They use a 900 lbs/in straight wound spring on these shocks. I prefer a straight wound spring with a constant rate personally.
Both the standard and 1" lower are the same shock except the 1" lower shock has 10mm (.397) less travel which gives it a shorter extended length. This lowers the rear 1" but maintains the same upper travel of the wheel as stock.
I went with the lower version because of my 29" inseam. I like the ride height of the stock bike and prefer not to lower it much more than one inch, I presently have Speedy's lowering block on it and it is great design and quality but I have had it on and off several times as I enjoy the higher riding position, perhaps this will be a good compromise.
I don't feel the stock shock is really all that bad, I have about 14,000 miles on it. I however have not been able to set the sag with good results . The 465 shock has a much larger range of preload adjustment with it's screw type adjustor. Also I am hopeful that the compression damping is improved over stock.
My Versys is the most enjoyable overall of the many motorcycles I have owned. Plan on keeping it for some time. Don't mind updating it from time to time. Perhaps next year some aftermarket fork springs even though with 10 turns out preload and factory setting rebound damping the are very good.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/7100-105.pdf
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 11:11 PM

Progressive Suspension 465

Was wondering how much softer your bike road with the 465? I have a KLR and bumps in the road are not noticeable where my Versys "gets my attention" over every bump in the road.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:50 AM

Wheat72
The Versys was never designed to ride as soft as the KLR, and would not handle as well if the suspension was soften up to that degree. The following is a statement by the Versy designers as to the reasons for the firmer suspension on the Versys.

(Both the front fork and rear shock combine long travel with stiff springs. Standard off-road-style long-travel suspension allows a bike to fly over bumps and ruts with ease, but this type of suspension was deemed to be too mushy for the kind of riding we wanted to offer. Likewise with sport bike suspension, road holding is superb, but performance is best on (relatively) smooth roads. Combining both long travel and stiff springs yields the benefits of both off-road-style and sport-bike suspension, offering excellent road holding in a wide range of street riding conditions and superb feedback, enabling aggressive sport riding. )

The 465 shock/ spring is a great improvement in ride comfort because of it high quality design but will not give you the softer ride of a dual purpose motorcycle KLR type motorcycle., however it does give you very good cornering and a feel for the road which is what the Versys is superb at.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:27 AM

I have them on my KLR650 & Versys, big improvement on both bikes. Just wished they had offered a remote preload adjuster........I hate spanner wrenches!!!!

Just ordered a set of Progressives for my Triumph Scrambler. The oem shocks on the Scrambler were much worse than either Kawi's so I'm hoping for a huge improvement.

Dan
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheat72 View Post
Was wondering how much softer your bike road with the 465? I have a KLR and bumps in the road are not noticeable where my Versys "gets my attention" over every bump in the road.
My two Vs, wearing R1 shocks (along w/ the different oil in my forks) ride very smoothly over MOST bumps on the road, EXCEPT for big, square-edged ones...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilohsam View Post
Have one of these on the way. $360 Amazon. Did some research and decided to update my stock shock. The Versys uses the 465-1182 standard length or the 465-1183 to lower rear 1".
Progressive Suspension does not use a progressive wound spring on the Versys application. They use a 900 lbs/in straight wound spring on these shocks. I prefer a straight wound spring with a constant rate personally.
Both the standard and 1" lower are the same shock except the 1" lower shock has 10mm (.397) less travel which gives it a shorter extended length. This lowers the rear 1" but maintains the same upper travel of the wheel as stock.
I went with the lower version because of my 29" inseam. I like the ride height of the stock bike and prefer not to lower it much more than one inch, I presently have Speedy's lowering block on it and it is great design and quality but I have had it on and off several times as I enjoy the higher riding position, perhaps this will be a good compromise.
I don't feel the stock shock is really all that bad, I have about 14,000 miles on it. I however have not been able to set the sag with good results . The 465 shock has a much larger range of preload adjustment with it's screw type adjustor. Also I am hopeful that the compression damping is improved over stock.
My Versys is the most enjoyable overall of the many motorcycles I have owned. Plan on keeping it for some time. Don't mind updating it from time to time. Perhaps next year some aftermarket fork springs even though with 10 turns out preload and factory setting rebound damping the are very good.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/7100-105.pdf
Thanks for the update. It is probably what I'll do later. I got an upgrade to a HD shock for my big (azz) load on a pristine 93 Honda Nighthawk 750, and it was like riding on air from the (20 year old) stock shocks. I think Progressive is the 'value performance' shock. If you want fine tuned performance, not only is it going to cost you, but there will be a much larger area it does NOT work well in since it IS fine-tuned. I like their HD springs too, because you can always dial them down when not needed, but you've always got the extra capacity if you need it. I'll be fishing around ebay and amazon to find the cheapest solution of Progressive shock and springs later :-)
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
plush, yes, and easily bottoms out too.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

- -
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
plush, yes, and easily bottoms out too.
Since I posted the above, I've increased the pre-load to two "steps" on BOTH Vs, and since then have had a GOOD ride, NO bottoming.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm weighing in around 145lbs and have never touched my suspension (D'oh)...I don't have a lot of complaints with it..but I do get bounced out of the seat more than I would like on bumps...I really like the way our V's rail in the corners and wouldn't want to mess with that a whole bunch...Would the plushness of the R-1 shock be a disappointment to me in the corners?
I am definitely thinking of progressive springs up front..as they did wonders for my 1981 Suzuki...Brake dive is unacceptable with the stock springs...Any thoughts on those???

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the info. Must have missed this during my research on a Versys.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilohsam View Post
Wheat72
The Versys was never designed to ride as soft as the KLR, and would not handle as well if the suspension was soften up to that degree. The following is a statement by the Versy designers as to the reasons for the firmer suspension on the Versys.

(Both the front fork and rear shock combine long travel with stiff springs. Standard off-road-style long-travel suspension allows a bike to fly over bumps and ruts with ease, but this type of suspension was deemed to be too mushy for the kind of riding we wanted to offer. Likewise with sport bike suspension, road holding is superb, but performance is best on (relatively) smooth roads. Combining both long travel and stiff springs yields the benefits of both off-road-style and sport-bike suspension, offering excellent road holding in a wide range of street riding conditions and superb feedback, enabling aggressive sport riding. )

The 465 shock/ spring is a great improvement in ride comfort because of it high quality design but will not give you the softer ride of a dual purpose motorcycle KLR type motorcycle., however it does give you very good cornering and a feel for the road which is what the Versys is superb at.
I'm close to ordering a 465 unit. I ride an '08 V, I weigh 180 lbs, ride solo, with small Givi hard bags.

How much do you weight? Do you ride mostly solo?

I'm also planning on lowering the bike, for better handling.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I agree with the premise behind a straight rate shock spring vs progressive spring, but the Progressive 465 spring just comes with the one rate? On their site, I don't see an option to enter your weight to get the correct spring. One size straight rate is no more "one size fits all" than a progressive spring....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode