Stebel Nautilus Horn install/comparison - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stebel Nautilus Horn install/comparison

In case anyone is curious about the difference between the Versys stock horn vs a Stebel Nautilus, I put together a quick video. Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of buying one. I'm glad I have one on my bike!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:32 AM

You're right, a covered location is a good idea. Also, make sure the trumpet points down so water does not collect inside, which will ruin the reed.

You can split the compressor and the trumpet and mount them separately. Just use some plastic tubing to connect the output of the compressor to the input of the trumpet. I split mine and reconnected them in reverse order (a big zip tie did the trick) and used plastic tubing as described. This allowed me to attach the horn's bracket to a simple piece of aluminum stock that I bent to shape and attached under the left side side panel. That's on my '08, not sure how it would work on later years.

In any case, the horn is WAAAAY louder than stock, so however you end up mounting it, it's a good idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I went the easy route..Its been on the bike since 2010 and still working fine...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLx3CN0hoPo . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYndXngsHxUIMG_0766 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0752 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

@Bones
@weljo2001
I actually went through this forum in detail looking for all sorts of tips. Unfortunately, the 2011 model has differences to the older models so that I couldn't find the same mounting locations. I did think of trying to mount it inside the left faring but I really didn't have any real way to fabricate decent DIY brackets. My way does look a bit odd IMO.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 10:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordflea View Post
@Bones
@weljo2001
I actually went through this forum in detail looking for all sorts of tips. Unfortunately, the 2011 model has differences to the older models so that I couldn't find the same mounting locations. I did think of trying to mount it inside the left faring but I really didn't have any real way to fabricate decent DIY brackets. My way does look a bit odd IMO.

Who cares how it looks as long as it works and you like it. I put one on my FJR and didn't want to have to tear the bike apart to mount the horn. Lots of plastic on the FJR that would have to come off. So i had a buddy thats a machinist make me a bracket and heres what i did..Look just above the highway peg.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Garage
Great job on the comparison between the horns. I won't have a bike without a loud horn. My Stebels have saved my butt many times

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Great job on the comparison between the horns. I won't have a bike without a loud horn. My Stebels have saved my butt many times
X (at LEAST...) 2!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 03:29 PM

Garage
I mounted mine like Joe did. It saved me when a Semi started to come over. Hit the horn and he jumped back in his lane.

On the newer 10 - up is the tab on right side hidden under the plastic?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
I mounted mine like Joe did. It saved me when a Semi started to come over. Hit the horn and he jumped back in his lane.

On the newer 10 - up is the tab on right side hidden under the plastic?
I seriously looked for that mounting point. Even took off the right side faring. Couldn't see it :-(
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:35 PM

Weljo,

Not to dog on you BUT you have the CLEANEST bikes I have ever seen. My Versys wasn't as clean as your's is when I bought it...new! I like a clean bike as I paid good money for it and I take care of what I have. BUT if you're ever around my neck of the woods stop by and show me how it's done because when I see one of your rides I think it needs one of these on it!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 07:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Weljo,

Not to dog on you BUT you have the CLEANEST bikes I have ever seen. My Versys wasn't as clean as your's is when I bought it...new! I like a clean bike as I paid good money for it and I take care of what I have. BUT if you're ever around my neck of the woods stop by and show me how it's done because when I see one of your rides I think it needs one of these on it!

Thats funny. When i first got the Versys i washed it every monday no matter if it needed it or not. After i got hit by the car i didn't wash it for a year and my harley buddies would always say your bike is so clean. I just laughed and told them how long its been since it had been washed. i would rub it down with a damp cloth everyone in awhile. The FJR i got in January took it to a car wash once then washed it by hand a couple of weeks ago. I hate washing bikes i would rather ride them.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
...I hate washing bikes i would rather ride them.
Hear! Hear!
I rarely wash my bike too. I keep everything well lubricated and maintain the engine. I have a brush that I use to sweep the caked on dirt off, and when it rains I take a little time to wipe it fairly dry. That usually keeps it looking clean, but has a "used everyday" look.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 07:45 PM

There are bike washers out there....

Bike Wash Rub and Tugs
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
There are bike washers out there....

Bike Wash Rub and Tugs

Beware of this one..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqsxPPNzV8k

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...I hate washing bikes i would rather ride them.
Most of the time I wash the bike after I've ridden enough dirt to get it "rather un-clean".... And I clean the WD40 chain-splatter off the rear wheel now-and-then.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode