AME heated grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
AME heated grips

Had the wiring installed for a while, finally installed the grips. it was pretty easy only trouble I had was reassembling the throttle just took a bit of fiddling and a couple of dry runs off the handle bar. The clutch side was easy I found a video on youtube which showed how to do it with a screwdriver and wd-40.
The video shows it heating up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Had them on the Versys now i have them on the FJR really happy with them....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 10:59 AM

I also had them on the Versys. They were nice. I liked that you can set the temperature of the left different from the right. The left one mounts directly on the bar which is metal and sucks up heat. Right one's on the plastic throttle tube. Result is the left one needs to be set one or two clicks warmer than the right. Easy peasy.

Someday is not a day of the week.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And no ugly big controller to mount on the bars.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
And no ugly big controller to mount on the bars.
Mine is mounted next to the dash. Good point though, and after the shape of the grips I think it's the second most important reason I'm interested in the AME grips.

The part about being able to set L & R temps differently isn't necessarily a bonus: I haven't needed to with the other grips I've used. Left element was either hotter than right or well enough insulated against the bar that they felt the same to me. It's a good feature if you need it, but it's better if the grips don't need it.

Did you wrap the bar with electrical tape before installing the left grip? Could you if you wanted to--would the grip fit over it? A little extra insulation might help.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Did you wrap the bar with electrical tape before installing the left grip? Could you if you wanted to--would the grip fit over it? A little extra insulation might help.
IDK the answer to those questions. I didn't try. (Just followed the manufacturer's installation instructions.) I suspect one could have insulated the bar, forced the grips over the insulation, and made it work. Or maybe it would have broken the wires in the grip, who knows. Point is, it's easy enough to adjust left vs right if needed. If not, run them at the same temp and enjoy. You can even have one off and one on if your hands are screwed up.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:23 AM
ggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Had them on the Versys now i have them on the FJR really happy with them....
what about the shape i don't have large hands and never had grips shaped like that before, is there much difference in diameter and feel compared to stock?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 09:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
what about the shape i don't have large hands and never had grips shaped like that before, is there much difference in diameter and feel compared to stock?

They are larger in the middle to fit into your palm better than the stock. I wear an XL glove and if my hand were smaller it would be fine. If you wear a medium and larger glove you should have no troubles. The feel is much better and the grips are a little tacky for a better grip..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Point is, it's easy enough to adjust left vs right if needed. If not, run them at the same temp and enjoy.
True enough. My fear is on the very rare days I run my current grips on high that the AME grips wouldn't be warm enough on the left side.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
True enough. My fear is on the very rare days I run my current grips on high that the AME grips wouldn't be warm enough on the left side.
My N=1 observation is that they got plenty hot. I don't recall ever having to run them on 6 - the hottest level. You might want to look at heated gloves if it gets that cold, since the back of your hands are still unheated. Barkbusters help if they get your hands out of the wind. So do those puffy muffy thingies.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Heated gloves are more comfortable than heated grips if you ride at near freezing temps or below, especially on long, highway trips but..... They are a pain if you don't own a heated jacket liner to plug them into. IMO heated gloves if you are purchasing a heated jacket liner, these work well together and you'll need both at < 45F, other wise heated grips are a better choice.

I love my Gerbings heated jacket liner and gloves in cold weather but I find heated grips are nice to have too, at slightly warmer, but still cold temps, due to their convenience. They are always available to turn on take the chill off unlike heated gear which you have to suit up in.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-11-2014 at 08:20 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 03:41 AM
ggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
They are larger in the middle to fit into your palm better than the stock. I wear an XL glove and if my hand were smaller it would be fine. If you wear a medium and larger glove you should have no troubles. The feel is much better and the grips are a little tacky for a better grip..
Cheers i use large MX style gloves with carbon fiber backs, so its now on my order list this paycheck
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
Cheers i use large MX style gloves with carbon fiber backs, so its now on my order list this paycheck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBx9L5nXgSE

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
My N=1 observation is that they got plenty hot. I don't recall ever having to run them on 6 - the hottest level. You might want to look at heated gloves if it gets that cold, since the back of your hands are still unheated.
Thanks.

I don't have a problem with the setup I use now (heated gloves + heated grips, along with handguards on the Versys but not on my other bike). I was just thinking about AME for my next heated grip.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I haven't been above 3 (6 is the highest) and that nearly melted my hands
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
easiest way to get grips off is to take a long screw driver , dip it in washing up liquid (dawn) slide it under the grip and spin it around the bar inside the grip, remove screw driver and use an air compressor (or can of air) and blow under the grip (between it and the bar) as you pull it off, should slide off super easy...

or if you have no desire to keep the old grips a razor blade cuts them off in seconds
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 PM

I use wd40 instead of dawn, and that trick worked for both grips for me.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:33 PM

I have worked in Bicycle shops for 20 years. We have always used HAIR SPAY to install grips. On troublesome grips that like to spin spray paint does the trick. However I have seen spray paint attack some typs of grips, notably Oury brand.
If you have a compressor use a blow gun under the edge to inflate them and slide 'em on. Blow gun is also good to dry the hairspray quick.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
easiest way to get grips off is to take a long screw driver , dip it in washing up liquid (dawn) slide it under the grip and spin it around the bar inside the grip, remove screw driver and use an air compressor (or can of air) and blow under the grip (between it and the bar) as you pull it off, should slide off super easy...

or if you have no desire to keep the old grips a razor blade cuts them off in seconds

Yep i just cut them off...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode