Time for new tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Time for new tires

Looking at the Shinko 09 raven for my 09 V.
When I got the bike I thought I might be doing a little fire road/ logging road riding, but turns out I am right at 100% street. Mostly commuting back and forth to work occasional trip to the lake.
I have heard many good reviews on these, kinda good bang for the buck general paved road riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:04 AM

Just installed Michelin PR4's over the winter. Great improvement over the stock Dunlops.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
My experience w/ various tires on dirt roads, is that they ALL work as long as YOU 'take it easy' on them. I figure I've ridden my Vs on AT LEAST 5,000 miles of dirt on stock Dunlops and "stock-type" other brand tires.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 04:44 PM

I just mounted a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trails. Their a 90/10 tire that I'm liking a whole lot more than the stockers . So far I only hit a few dirt roads and their pretty solid feeling.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:05 PM

Great grip on pavement 259 miles so far... smooth
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:13 PM

You are going to get the usual 4 dozen opinions and reported tire durations of anywhere from 2000 miles to 20,000 miles for each tire. The Versys is capable of many different types of riding, by many different types of riders. Tires are really a personal choice.

Just know that a soft tire has more grip and a hard tire last longer... period. Yes, your dual compound tires are a good idea and might get you closer to the best of both worlds.... Might.

Having said that I am still interested in giving the new 95-5 Tourance Next a go. You should throw a set of those on and give us a report.

http://metzeler.com/site/us/products...ance-next.html
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 08:26 PM
RMS

I have the 09`s on my V for about 1/2 year now, they are OK but just OK.
completly diferent feel to them when rideing compaired to the OEM Dunlop`s
the wind buffiting on the HWY is much worse or when behind a large van or truck.
some time`s I like to go a little to fast and with the 09`s i slow down quickley, they just do not feel good a higher speed`s to me. (Long story made short)
the shinkos make me ride a lot safer because i just do not like how they act above 70 MPH.Because i like to twist the throtal i will buy better qualty tire`s the next time.
Just my 2 cents
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:13 PM

5K miles on a set of Shinko 009's and the remaining tread depth is 4/32".
Getting 7K miles out of this set of tires is not unrealistic.

I mainly ride the twisties, aggressively at times, and have had no traction issues but do very little wet weather riding so can't comment on wet traction.

I would not hesitate to install another set of 009's but for the next set I'm going to install Shinko 011's.

See attached link for excellent prices on 009's and 011's.

http://www.revzilla.com/shinko-tires

Last edited by Ziggy; 04-21-2014 at 07:58 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 01:30 AM

Garage
I just redid the rear with BT-023. I had no issues on this one but I'm not an aggressive rider. For Full change, I'm thinking of going with the PR4s.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 11:38 AM

In a country where we don't have PR3/PR4, I ended up choosing Shinko 009, 006, 011... in that order and all out of stock. the only set readily available? Shinko 705. Works ok, will do a track day with it next month, excellent on rough roads, but wiggles on hi speed over 150kph (i've yet to solve this mistery if it is tires or something's wrong with the steering head). I will give it a couple of more thousand miles on fornt then I will replac eit with Scorpion (my front is too tall).

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Banned

Riding within the performance differences between two quality tires on public roads
sounds like legal fun.
Not!
Riding on the limits of tire adhesion in general sounds like fun.
Not!
Get the 009's they're a fine general use, single compound tire.

I have Shinko's on all three of my bikes. [1 ds, 2 road]

Shinko 009 Reviews

Last edited by Seeya; 04-21-2014 at 01:33 PM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwodogs View Post
Looking at the Shinko 09 raven for my 09 V.
When I got the bike I thought I might be doing a little fire road/ logging road riding, but turns out I am right at 100% street. Mostly commuting back and forth to work occasional trip to the lake.
I have heard many good reviews on these, kinda good bang for the buck general paved road riding.
You will get more even wear, longer life and better cornering grip with a newer dual compound tire. Longer wearing harder compound in the center and softer, more adhesive compound on the shoulders that contact the pavement when you lean the bike. They tend to flat spot less easily. IMO worth the extra money.

Very happy with my Michelin PR 3's
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM

Love love love my michelin pr4 tires. I highly recommend them.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for their input.
While I am not an Uber aggressive driver, so there will be no knee dragging in my future. lol
I was looking I guess more for longevity, while still hoping for a slight improvment in handling over the Dunflop's.
I currently have somewhere in the ball park of 6,000 miles on the bike, and the dunlops are beginning to feel a little skiddish in what little bit of twistie's I have.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Just installed Michelin PR4's over the winter. Great improvement over the stock Dunlops.
did you get the reuglar one or the GT version? I am about to order new tires form my trip in europe again byut with my wife. I was told that the GT version handle heavy bikes and since I will be with my wife + side bags + top box fully loaded...I was thinking about getting the GT version...the only problem is that the rear tire GT does not come in 160/60...
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 PM

I installed the 009 Ravens on my ride as well. They will need a good 200 miles to get scrubbed in as there is a lot of mold release on them. Once scrubbed in they grip unbelievable and the front tire has zero deviation. Standing on the pegs looking at the front tire is true at any speed.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

So, the local Kawasaki shop changed hands here in Paintsville, Ky. Called the shop told them of my intentions to order the tires on line and bring them in to be put on my rims.
The guy was like, "I can only put tires on your bike that you buy from me, for insurance reasons."
Then when I asked to get a price quote on tires, he hung up on me.
Wow. Am I going to have to buy a Yamaha now! lol. Seriously when I got the bike i had a working relationship with the old dealer, and that was part of it, I figure service plays a huge role in a purchase. Not to happy about this.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Buy a set of tire irons, a bead breaker, and some dyna beads or similar and do it yourself. 15min a tire once they are removed. Check youtube how to videos.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Banned

Small Town huh ?
You could call and ask the tire dealer / installer if they have a meet or beat price policy on tires. The one I use does. Gotten them both ways no problem with "insurance" sounds like a convenient excuse. Cycle Gear will install them if you bring in the rims.

Quote:
So, the local Kawasaki shop changed hands here in Paintsville, Ky. Called the shop told them of my intentions to order the tires on line and bring them in to be put on my rims.
The guy was like, "I can only put tires on your bike that you buy from me, for insurance reasons."
Wow. Am I going to have to buy a Yamaha now! lol. Seriously when I got the bike i had a working relationship with the old dealer, and that was part of it, I figure service plays a huge role in a purchase. Not to happy about this.

Last edited by Seeya; 04-29-2014 at 02:44 PM.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Type in your zip code to find an installer near you.I had great luck with it..http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...installer.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode