Keep seeing 44 tooth suggestions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Keep seeing 44 tooth suggestions

So I keep seeing everyone talking about the 44 tooth sprocket. Allow me to sound dumb for a minute. What changes when you swap out the sprocket, and will it effect the speedo, and if so how much and can it be fixed as well. I tried looking for a thread on the 44 t, but apparently its in 2 billion posts.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
speedo will read close to correct
odometer will under read
you will lose some punch but will be in any particular gear longer
in my opinion it will make the overall throttle response feel smoother and reduce highway cruising speeds
my dog did not get a shinier coat but the cat doesn't seem to puke as often.

some riders went back to stock because they felt that they lost some of the fun factor
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:13 PM

With a 44 tooth you will be running at lower revs for a given speed, useful if you do a lot of highway riding.
Usually speedos show anywhere from 7-10% higher than you are actually going when checked against a GPS
When I changed to a 44 on my 650 it brought the speedo almost exactly to the actual speed but the trip meters recorded about 5% less than actually travelled.

It is a highly recommended mod from those who have done it.

EDIT: I am not losing my marbles, honest. Black Dog's reply came in while I was typing mine.

2013 Versys1000

Last edited by V-COASTER; 04-11-2014 at 02:17 PM.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 PM

adjusting error

according to my gps, my speedo error went from 8% to 1% with a 44T
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 09:52 PM

All the above. Do it!! Don't wait. Ask MTS. I am a big fan as well.

Unless you love riding wheelies!
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:16 PM

+1 for the 44T. Makes it a much more rideable bike, in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:40 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
All the above. Do it!! Don't wait. Ask MTS. I am a big fan as well.

Unless you love riding wheelies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
+1 for the 44T. Makes it a much more rideable bike, in my opinion.
+1 & +1

I had the 44t sprocket for 2 years and finally put it on! Duh! Its great and the bike is so smooth! Don't wait!

I got my stock 46t to go back to anytime, but I will not! 45t maybe an option but I really like the 44t and still has snap when you get on it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 06:04 AM
NYG

Question for those who switched: was there an increase in gas mileage? It seems there should be, but my intuition often fails me in mechanical arenas.

Mike
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 06:58 AM

Probably not, takes the same amount of hp to do 70 mph whether you are turning 5,500 rpm or 5,000 rpm.

For me a change to a 16T front sprocket was easier. For one thing the 16T is available from Kawasaki ((13144-0038). Kawasaki O.E.M. sprockets are first rate and it is hard to match their quality. Second, it is easier for me to change the front sprockets. Takes about 30 minutes.

The difference is with the 15/44 setup with the 15/46 you would be doing about say 5,550 rpm @ 70 mph true, with the 15/44 your rpm would be 5,308 and with the 16/46 it would be 5,203.

Downside is the 15/44 setup your speedo will probably dead on and the odo off a bit. With the 16/46 my speedo reads 68 and 70 (true) and the odo is 9% short.

Last edited by waltermitty; 04-12-2014 at 07:03 AM.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 09:35 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Probably not, takes the same amount of hp to do 70 mph whether you are turning 5,500 rpm or 5,000 rpm.

For me a change to a 16T front sprocket was easier. For one thing the 16T is available from Kawasaki ((13144-0038). Kawasaki O.E.M. sprockets are first rate and it is hard to match their quality. Second, it is easier for me to change the front sprockets. Takes about 30 minutes.

The difference is with the 15/44 setup with the 15/46 you would be doing about say 5,550 rpm @ 70 mph true, with the 15/44 your rpm would be 5,308 and with the 16/46 it would be 5,203.

Downside is the 15/44 setup your speedo will probably dead on and the odo off a bit. With the 16/46 my speedo reads 68 and 70 (true) and the odo is 9% short.

I think it was invader that had a chart with each sprocket change charted.

44t is tall enough legs for me at this time. Guys who are hiway all the time might go higher. Although the 44t is awesome on the hiway.

Stock 46t is just not smooth, the only other option I wonder about would be the 45t. I have only heard of one guy going to 45t and I did not know it was an option. Maybe it was a typo and he meant 44t, not sure.

Going on dirt trails and roads the 44t was of concern, but so far its been great and smooth with less shifting.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 10:22 AM
NYG

[QUOTE=waltermitty;572497]Probably not, takes the same amount of hp to do 70 mph whether you are turning 5,500 rpm or 5,000 rpm.

Thanks Walter--that makes sense now--you're still holding the throttle in the same spot, just turning fewer rpm's not sucking less fuel. I think I have it now.

Changing the teeth is not the same thing as adding a seventh gear to our transmission.

Thanks,

Mike
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

I see thanks for the input everyone. Where i do equal parts city and highway most of the time i am not sure i want to lose the zip, but its something to keep in mind. I ususally only do two or three 3 hour plus rides a season, and even then a lot of the ride is though the mountains.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
I see thanks for the input everyone. Where i do equal parts city and highway most of the time i am not sure i want to lose the zip, but its something to keep in mind. I ususally only do two or three 3 hour plus rides a season, and even then a lot of the ride is though the mountains.
The 44 tooth will still work well in the curves and mountains. It does not take away the capabilities of the machine. Just a little bit of change in the pace of gearing.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter650 View Post
according to my gps, my speedo error went from 8% to 1% with a 44T
Yup - and your odometer went from pretty much dead-on, to under-reading by about 4.5%, so your mileage (as calculated) will be 4.5% HIGHER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Question for those who switched: was there an increase in gas mileage? It seems there should be, but my intuition often fails me in mechanical arenas.

Mike
There SHOULD be better gas mileage on the straight-and-level, but going uphill you will need more "manifold-pressure" which will cause mileage to decrease.

("manifold-pressure" refers to the situation where you have INCREASED the throttle without a change in RPMs, and comes from aviation.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 01:00 PM
MTS

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=13836&page=2

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15597

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 04-12-2014 at 01:02 PM.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 01:12 PM

Correcting for speedo and odo error by gps, my mileage stayed the same when I went from 15/46 to 16/46 and top speed increased slightly to 120 mph.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 11:02 PM

Most of my riding is on the freeway, and I have no problem with the stock gearing. If I needed a higher top speed, I'd certainly consider it. I don't think I've hit the top speed I have now, and it doesn't feel like the Versys needs another gear on the freeway (or even a few percent taller gearing).

It will correct speedometer error. Based on the speedometer error I've measured on mine it seem like 46 to 44 conversion would make it pretty much dead on. But I understand the odometer is accurate now, so you'd be introducing error there.

I think I understand why people change the gearing, but I'm not sold on it.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 PM
MTS

I was like you davidg for years. I bought the 44t and just held it. My bad it is really nice and I'm not changing back! Just sayin!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 01:19 AM

Garage
I had lurked here for a while before getting my V. I picked it up used, and the previous owner had changed the rear for 44t. So I never experienced the factory way. It mainly is my commuter vehicle (45 mile round trip) to downtown Atlanta. I have done 2 pleasure rides to North GA mountains and Deals Gap. I have never thought I needed more or faster acceleration the 46T would give. Some times I think I might get a 16T front to see if it will improve the mileage any more. Overall this bike is Great...
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 AM

44t is great. The thing I didn't like about the 46t is that the gearing was so short that I would be changing gears in the middle of most intersections... I did not like that.

The 44t feels so natural on the bike that I can't imagine why the Kawi guys just don't have it come from the factory that way.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode