Tires: Scorpion trails of PR 2's? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tires: Scorpion trails or PR 2's?

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip to Norway and want to start with a fresh set of rubbers. I'm not planning to do any off-road, but you never know.

Important to me is that they also perform perfectly in wet conditions, but they also have to be able to last around 8000 km. And it is said that the asphalt in Norway is a bit rougher than the smooth stuff here in Holland. I read a lot about combining a rear and front tire of different brands, but this idea doesn't really apeal to me. Don't know why, but it feels like putting on two different shoes.

This facts gave me a short list of the Scorpion trail en the Pilot Road 2. Pro's of scorpions: if I might encounter some gravel, I should be good. Pro's of the PR2's: superb wet performance. I'm not really sure about the wet performance of the scorpions, because of the thread pattern, but maybe I'm wrong here.

Anybody out there that can advise me?

Thanks,
Brasi

Last edited by Brasi; 04-03-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 04:51 PM

I have Scorpion Trails on the Versys now. I like them for the unpaved road capabilities. These are the OEM fitment on the Ducati MultiStrada, for whatever that's worth.

You wouldn't go wrong with Pilot Roads. I had a couple sets of PR2's on my ST1300 and currently have PR3's on the ST. Like them, too.

If it were me, I'd put the Scorpion Trails on the Versys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 05:25 PM

either tires are good, but PR2/3 have excellent review in the wet and it's cheaper too.

Quote:
ad astra per aspera

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
My Scorpion Trails did not last 8000Km. When new they gripped dirt well but quickly wore. The Michelin PR 2s lasted longer and wore more evenly due to dual compound rubber, it's harder in the center and softer on the sides. They also grip pavement slightly better wet or dry. I would look at the Michelin PR 3's if you want the ultimate wet traction. Any tire that claims dual sport capability will not grip pavement as well as a sport tour tire. No matter which way you look at it, there is always a trade off that goes both ways, when it comes to off road/on road tire performance.

Apparently the just released, Metzler Touranace Next is the top rated 95/5% adventure tour tire from magazine review I just read. The rear, not the front, Tourance Next, is also a dual compound tire unlike the Scorpion. Both the front and rear tires in the Pilot Road series are dual compound. The Pilot Road series is a sport tour tire though, not an adventure tour tire. As long as you don't want to hustle down a dirt road I would go with a sport tour tire. They work fine at lower speeds on graded dirt roads.

Not sure you can still buy Michelin Pilot Road 2's any more. Michelin just released the Pilot Road 4's and have discontinued the PR 2's. I currently have the PR3's they have similar dry grip to the PR 2's but wet traction seems much better under hard braking. They say they also last slightly longer although I have not had mine long enough to find this out. The slight extra cost of the Michelins has more than made up buy increased life expectancy in my case. My PR 3's currently have more miles on them than I was able to ride the Scorpions for and they have lots of life left in them.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-03-2014 at 06:59 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Hi,

I've read that the PR3's are slightly better in wet performance than PR2's. As a result, they are a bit more expensive.

Just type in "pr2 vs pr3" on google and you'll have tons of forum posts and articles about the differences.

Enjoy your trip!

- Conrad
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all this valuable information guys! I think I'm going for the PR's. I don't plan to ride out into the wild anyway. It will be a gravel road at the most, since I don't have any off-road experience and going alone, so don't want to take too much risks on that points.

As far as I know you can still order the 2's via certain Dutch websites. Will look into the differences of the 2 and 3 a bit more. But in contrary to what twowheels says, I read the 3's wear slightly faster than the 2's. But I guess experience says more than theoretical reviews in this case... Thanks again!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 01:37 PM

The Scorpion Trails were OEM on my Versys 1000 and although I thought they were the best Oem tires on any bike I've had, I had to replace them at 8000 km which I thought was too soon. I have the PR3's on now and quite like them.

2013 Versys1000
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
My Scorpion Trails did not last 8000Km. When new they gripped dirt well but quickly wore. Apparently the just released, Metzler Touranace Next is the top rated 95/5% adventure tour tire from magazine review I just read. The rear, not the front, Tourance Next, is also a dual compound tire unlike the Scorpion.
The Pirelli Scorpion Trail IS a dual compound tire. Well... The rear is.

http://cycleguidemagazine.blogspot.c...ion-trail.html
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 09:16 AM

I mixed front n rear, front scorpion rear bt023. Scorpion last 11k km n d grip were far better than d stock Dunlop. My front Dunlop lasted 10k. I was able to lean more with better grip on the trails. Now with bridgestone T30 n they grip even better for d front.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Garage
My rear PR2 has 12000 km on it with plenty of tread left

recent pic

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 07:52 PM

PR2's are great tires!

Hooligan
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 10:19 PM

Garage
I hated my Scorpion Trails. I almost felt like the PR2 were better on the gravel. Obviously I don't think in the real world they are but it sure felt like it! Mine didn't last long either. And they just didn't feel "right".

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode