Header + Slip on - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Header + Slip on

I really like the Leo Vince Sbk GP style slip on.
http://www.discount-moto-direct.com/.../#.UzxXn_ldVp8

However, I am thinking of adding a header as well. And please don't just jump on the "just get the slip-on" bandwagon. I figure I might as well do it for the hell of it and haters gonna hate.

I know Arrow, Danmoto and Delkevic all produce headers that fit the Versys but I am wondering if any of these will fit the Leo can and if anyone has any experience as to which one, if any, produce a bit more power. I am leaning in the direction of the Arrow as it is a respected company. I have a Dan Moto at the moment, which is a bit of fun and for 100$ why the hell not! But I am looking to produce power instead of noise now a days.

As things stand, I have a BMC air filter, Dan Moto slip on (more like noise funnel), a Power Commander 5 on the way, and have discovered that the local Ducati shop (literally 2 blocks from my house) will happily do dyno work on anything for a reasonable price. So I might as well just go in whole hog and do it all. What do ya'll think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 PM

I think it would be interesting to see the before and after pulls so we can see how much HP you wring out of her.

Red Herring loved his and there are a few others that got the arrow and, later, others. More power to you.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=3117

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I did the headers with a yoshi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nov4...ZwdAlos110Tx-3 For power gain its a waste of money.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
In so far as the OEM pipes on our Vs ARE 'headers', I don't see any reason to change. On a car (w/ VERY restrictive stock exhausts) headers make a LOT of sense, but will wear out quicker due the thinner construction compared w/ stock.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
In so far as the OEM pipes on our Vs ARE 'headers', I don't see any reason to change. On a car (w/ VERY restrictive stock exhausts) headers make a LOT of sense, but will wear out quicker due the thinner construction compared w/ stock.
Couldn't agree more. IMHO there are much more useful farkles to spend that amount on. But then, to each his own and more power to them (except unless expecting it from "headers").

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think you will see any improvement with Aftermarket headers.
Many people in UK and Northern USA/Canada wear out the headers by riding in the winter time due to corrosion from salt and sand on the roads.

Aftermarket headers are a LOT cheaper than the OEM headers as replacements rather than a performance upgrade.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 09:10 PM

Don't listen to these goobers.

Get the header that tickels your fancy. Get it dyno tuned and post the results. The very least you'll have a smoother running bike (throttle wise) and a bit of a bump in mid-top range. Because that is the nature of larger diameter pipes...

I'll be installing my full Muzzy system here in a week or so. Hopefully have a tune done by the end of the month.

Hooligan

Last edited by Freerydejunky; 04-02-2014 at 09:12 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 01:20 AM

It is best to get a header that has dyno data for the same engine, else you could be worse off. Large ID doesn't mean better as the volumetric flow of the gases will be slower compared to a smaller ID. (Too small of an ID becomes too restrictive on the other hand). As a matter of scavenging, the pipe ID and length determines which is the best RPM to have the scavenging occuring for a particular engine model.

The 2012 ER6 models comes with full system and I think I've seen Leo Vince full system being sold that are designed for the 2012 ER6. Not sure if they are fit compatible to the V. Good luck in your search.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
Don't listen to these goobers.

Get the header that tickels your fancy. Get it dyno tuned and post the results. The very least you'll have a smoother running bike (throttle wise) and a bit of a bump in mid-top range. Because that is the nature of larger diameter pipes...

I'll be installing my full Muzzy system here in a week or so. Hopefully have a tune done by the end of the month.
Please let me know how things go. I just had a setback in my plans. I need to to a timing belt on my car. DAMN! So I'll have to save up a bit of coin before I go through with the plan. So any info would be great.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 10:56 PM

for a lot of sport bikes aftermarket headers can give you considerable weight savings. The versys headers are light. So much so that I can't see any benefit to getting headers other than looks, which is exactly why I went with headers after turning my bike into a naked bike. With the plastics removed there is a unsightly portion where the 2 pipes join into 1 and stamped sheet metal is used to seal the deal, with a big fat seam on the edge.

stock headers also have a little connecting tube that connect the 2 headers before they join farther below. I have not used a custom map or anything, but at least on the factory map, the aftermarket exhaust parts don't run quite as smooth and feel a little sluggish off the line without giving it a bit extra throttle, near identical once moving, of course with the pleasant sound increase.

exhaust on the other hand weighs a ton. chuck it.

Last edited by Norrick; 04-08-2014 at 11:01 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
Please let me know how things go. I just had a setback in my plans. I need to to a timing belt on my car. DAMN! So I'll have to save up a bit of coin before I go through with the plan. So any info would be great.
Will do. Just got access to a dyno, should be posting up before, after and everything in between maps within the next month or so.

Hooligan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode