Poor Fuel Mileage after TPS & Vacuum Hose Mod - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Poor Fuel Mileage after TPS & Vacuum Hose Mod

Hi Everyone,

I recently did the TPS adjustment and Vacuum Hose Mod on my 2008 V with 14K miles. The engine is all stock with no other modifications. After doing these mods, my fuel mileage dropped significantly. Prior to these mods, I would usually get around 200 miles or so from a tank of fuel, now I am only getting around 160-175 miles.

After my first tank of fuel, and noticing how bad the mileage was, I set the TPS back to stock setting, hoping fuel mileage would improve because after reading some of Invader's posts, he discussed how fuel mileage would drop a bit because you are adding more fuel to help smooth out low throttle inputs. I am nearing the end of my second tank and I only have 115 miles on the tank and my fuel gauge is reading 2 bars.

Does the Vacuum Hose Mod decrease fuel mileage? Does the TPS mod also decrease fuel mileage too? Or, can I blame this decrease in mileage on winter fuel with ethenol added. I always run 93 octane and in the past, could get well over 225 miles on a tank (roughly 50 or so MPG).

I have not adjust the valves, nor have I sync'd the throttle bodies. If I do both of those maintenance jobs, should I see an increase in my mileage again???

I have been riding with my top box more lately. Could this be an issue for my drop in MPG??

Overall, the low speed jerkiness and surging has been eliminated by both of these mods, but I am kind of bummed that my fuel mileage has dropped.

Perhaps any insight from Invader or any other member who has done these mods would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You might have rotated your TPS too much, but it's now back to stock position... Did you use a simple 6 inch long 5/32" ID vacuum hose on the left TB's right vacuum fitting and on the right TB's vacuum fitting? What mileage are you at? What oil do you use?

I still always average 56~57 miles per US gallon. Colder weather, winter gas, and ethanol content are significant factors.

Last edited by invader; 02-20-2014 at 06:18 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:20 PM

56-57 mpg is insane.

Winter gas really hurts moto mileage.
After my airbox mod, tps adjustment and after market pipe my mileage went down by 3mpg.

By the way running higher octane gas doesn't do anything for the V. Run regular gas, you'll get the same MPG.

Hooligan

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 PM

Shoot, I'd be thrilled to get 50, not to mention above. I get 35-40. Seems like 40 with new plugs. No other mods.

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I think the best I ever averaged was a little over 50 MPG. That was when I was stationed in New Mexico at 5500 feet ASL. High altitude typically affects mileage. I am now in Shreveport LA, and I am getting worse mileage. What gives...

I might switch to regular grade gas this summer and see what my mileage is.

I did the version of the mod where I used a single 6" (1/8") vacuum hose between both inlets. I left the outer IAP hose alone and did not use a T.

I might take a look at everything again when I get the chance. Do yall think I did something wrong installing the vacuum hoses?

I use Amsoil oil.

Thanks for the input guys.

Jason
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:20 AM

You guys are burning more gas at faster freeway speeds. Oversized windscreen, handguards, luggage, etc, also have an impact.

Your vacuum hose mod is just like mine. Is your air filter dirty or over-oiled?

Use ethanol-free gasoline, if possible. I always use premium gas which is locally available ethanol-free.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=LA
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

I will look at my air filter shortly. I cleaned it when I did both modifications and I did oil it. I don't think I over oiled it though.

I assume the bags and other accessories decreases my mileage a bit, but the only thing that is different now is that I am using my Coocase 46L top case all the time. In the past, I only used the top case on rare occasions. I use it now because when commuting to work, I need the case to store my helmet and carry my backpack. I don;t like wearing my backpack while riding.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:38 AM

How old are your spark plugs? You should also check your valve clearances, then vacuum synch TB's.

Tire pressures should be adjusted when cooled to ambient temperature... There is a difference of about 1 psi for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit (6 C).

Last edited by invader; 02-21-2014 at 10:45 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Spark plugs are close to 2 yrs old; however, I only have about 2K mileage on them though.

I know I need to adjust my valves. I will do that once it warms up a bit. Adjusting the valves is a bit outside my comfort/knowledge zone, so I will pay someone to do it for me. I was told that with fuel injection you really done need to sync the TB's anymore comapred to syncing older carberators. I called a mechanic yesterday and asked about syncing the carberators and that is what he told me. Maybe I need to call another mechanic.... There is only 1 Kawi dealer in my area.

I usually keep my tire pressure at 32 psi front and 36 psi rear.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 AM

TB vacuum synch is recommended at every 7,500 miles... First time is the most important.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:17 AM

The TPS adjustment improved my acceleration, causing me to enjoy it more; ie, pushed a bit harder than normal. That reduced my mileage. When I went back to more conservative riding, mileage improved. Overall, neither of the two mods did anything noticeable to my mileage. I have found that my fuel mileage is determined more by how hard I ride than anything else I've done.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I get mid-50 mpg on BIG RED, usually 56, but as high as 61 a couple of times. I run 36psi F, 42 R, ALWAYS w/ soft saddle-bags, some of the time w/ a bigger windshield. I ride close to the speed limits (MAYBE a 'little' over), but ride in 6th gear mostly....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You guys are burning more gas at faster freeway speeds. Oversized windscreen, handguards, luggage, etc, also have an impact.

Your vacuum hose mod is just like mine. Is your air filter dirty or over-oiled?

Use ethanol-free gasoline, if possible. I always use premium gas which is locally available ethanol-free.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=LA
I used this site a long time ago to find a place to buy gas for my bike,jetski, atv, and pontoon. there are almost 500 places in tn. to buy good fuel and only 60 for ky. I find that very unusual and very irritating as well.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I get mid-50 mpg on BIG RED, usually 56, but as high as 61 a couple of times. I run 36psi F, 42 R, ALWAYS w/ soft saddle-bags, some of the time w/ a bigger windshield. I ride close to the speed limits (MAYBE a 'little' over), but ride in 6th gear mostly....
Just over 58 mpg yesterday....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode