Speedy lowering kit effect on spring rate - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speedy lowering kit effect on spring rate

The Speedy lowering kit mounts the shock at a flatter angle in order to lower the bike. This will affect the spring rate.

How much?

it also looks like the rate will be slightly progressive with the new mounting point

How much if any?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Does putting on the lowering kit change the general metrics so much that it lowers the back wheel and makes the bike more susceptable to a wheelie? I am almost flat foot, depending which boots I have on, but am interested to see how my V would feel if lowered just a little.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I installed shorter forks to lower the front the same amount as the rear so the answer in my case is no

Without shorter forks you can only lower the front 22mm with the rear being 41mm lower

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Speedy's link doesn't affect the spring rate as mounted on the shock. Rear of shock is mounted a bit higher which increases its compression to suspension travel ratio, thus slightly decreasing suspension travel while increasing stiffness at the same preload setting... This also reduces the need for extra clearance in the fender when bottoming out suspension with lowering kit.

The lowering block's resulting higher mount changes the rear suspension's geometry a bit... Because the shock's rear mount is further above the straight line between swingarm's main pivot point to rear axle, it's now following a longer arch in its movement as the spring compresses, so the spring has to compress more for the same amount of rear axle lateral travel (suspension travel).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:12 PM

So, does that mean we should "soften" the rear shock a setting or two after lowering to get a similar ride? And then should the front be adjusted as well?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

OK wrong term in that the spring rate is the same, but the new mounting angle results in a "softer" spring

Speedy are you there - how much "softer" in % terms?
Is this linear or is there some progressive nature to the new linkage?

BTW when we first moved to Canada in the mid 60's we lived in Little Long Rapids as my Dad worked on the dam building project there and I still remember Kap winters!
30C here today, how about you Invader?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:08 PM

Rear suspension is not very progressive, with or without Speedy's link.

Rear shock's higher mounting point does not result in a softer suspension, nor a softer spring. Shock and spring compress at a higher rate through suspenssion travel, which stiffens the ride slightly. By how much would be hard to calculate, but it's not substantial. Shock compression to lateral suspension travel ratio is about 1:3.

Last edited by invader; 02-13-2014 at 11:11 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

From Speedy's website:

The kit lowers the seat to 31.25 (79.4 cm), which is 1.85 (47 mm) lower than the original seat height. It also addresses the issue of the rough rear suspension by making it a tad softer.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 12:10 AM

I know that's Speedy's claim, but that's where it ends.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:37 PM

I'll find out soon enough if it feels "softer", if this white crap ever melts that is... I picked up a lowering kit here last month but It's been too cold in the garage for wrenching right now. Just curious, I haven't done anything to the seat in regards to the way it likes to push you into the gas tank. Does the ~1" lower rear change the angle enough to help with that too?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
I'll find out soon enough if it feels "softer", if this white crap ever melts that is... I picked up a lowering kit here last month but It's been too cold in the garage for wrenching right now. Just curious, I haven't done anything to the seat in regards to the way it likes to push you into the gas tank. Does the ~1" lower rear change the angle enough to help with that too?

I put the Speedy lowering kit on and lowered the front end to the Max. it works great all the tech BS aside. The bike is easy to ride no adverse affects. Also have Rox risers and foot peg lowering. No sliding on the seat for me. Just my opinion. Minor impact on the ability to wheelie

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

I re-countoured the seat foam and raised the nose about 15mm
Much better now and easy to get done here at 15.00 USD. You could do it yourself with the right foam and an electric knife

The bike is level now post lowering just like OEM, but the seat reworking is a lot better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode