LED Foglights Installed - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
LED Foglights Installed

Hi all- Just finished up my foggy install and figured I'd deliver the goods on my (I think) cheap solution. A friend gave me a $100 gift card at Amazon. I decided I would turn that into LED foglights for my V.

Found these guys first- was skeptical due to low price, but am so far very pleased: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0LH8I2/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This for the harness: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKWJ1RS/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I read in many reviews of that harness that the included switch was crap, and not intended for outdoor use; so I replaced it with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z7L8A2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The install was fairly straightforward, though I confess it took me a few minutes to suss out how the harness worked and what the relay does. I wanted switched power, but was a bit squeamish about tapping into the existing headlight line. Luckily i found a thread here about the unused accessory port some of our bikes have up by the radiator. I used that for my control power and everything is working nicely.

Results:

and

She's much much wider from the front and definitely more apparent in traffic now. Just what I wanted. Not too shabby for $92.00 or thereabouts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by goat12; 01-20-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:47 PM

Looks good. I did the same a while ago and I feel a LOT more confident of being seen. A few guys I ride with said they really looked good and stood out and now want to do the same.

2013 Versys1000

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 PM

Nice lights there, but what if you crashed, what will be damage?

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispradez View Post
nice lights there, but what if you crashed, what will be damage?
$17.65

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
$17.65
17.65 covers the lights....but what are the brackets bolted to?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Yup my point, he attached it to the beak side cover

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 PM

I want to punch you in the face. I HATE guys that slap super bright blue LEDs on their bikes.

It destroys everyone's night vision, annoys the hell out of anyone in oncoming traffic, and kills your depth perception at night while riding.

Feel free to argue with me on that, I have been riding mountain bikes for years at night. The bluer the led light the worse your depth perception is. That is why I have a "warm" led set up on all my bikes.

But if you want to be seen, this works. But just know that you're being yelled at at least 10x a day by oncoming drivers.

Hooligan
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Yup my point, he attached it to the beak side cover
True, I guess I didn't really think about that. My comment was meant to be a bit of a joke, considering how cheap the lights themselves are. Point taken though!

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
I want to punch you in the face. I HATE guys that slap super bright blue LEDs on their bikes.

It destroys everyone's night vision, annoys the hell out of anyone in oncoming traffic, and kills your depth perception at night while riding.

Feel free to argue with me on that, I have been riding mountain bikes for years at night. The bluer the led light the worse your depth perception is. That is why I have a "warm" led set up on all my bikes.

But if you want to be seen, this works. But just know that you're being yelled at at least 10x a day by oncoming drivers.
Well- That escalated quickly. A couple of points:

1. Having never met me, I understand your brash reaction. I assure you, however, that attempting to punch me in the face would end very badly for you.

2. These lights are not blue. They are white.

3. These lights have been aimed precisely 6 feet ahead of the bike AT THE GROUND.

4. Unlike you standards for work (I presume based on your reaction) I take pride in doing jobs cautiously and thoughtfully. Ie the aiming of these lights has been thoroughly tested against oncoming traffic with my friends in not one, but 2 cars and an SUV to verify a lack of blinding action.

5. There's always a way to make a point without being a dick about it; but you're very unlikely to be able to employ this method without, say, the facts...

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Precisely my point! I was worried about someone stealing them, or if they'd get ruined if the bike went down, so when I found them for under 20 a piece it was the deciding factor for me. Also- The lights are bolted to my beak side filler panels courtesy of our very own Hoghead who makes them in Thailand. SUPER high quality if anyone is looking for a beak, btw.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post

1. Having never met me, I understand your brash reaction. I assure you, however, that attempting to punch me in the face would end very badly for you.

3. These lights have been aimed precisely 6 feet ahead of the bike AT THE GROUND.

4. Unlike you standards for work (I presume based on your reaction) I take pride in doing jobs cautiously and thoughtfully. Ie the aiming of these lights has been thoroughly tested against oncoming traffic with my friends in not one, but 2 cars and an SUV to verify a lack of blinding action.

5. There's always a way to make a point without being a dick about it; but you're very unlikely to be able to employ this method without, say, the facts...

I have to agree 100%. I made sure mine are pointed down enough as to not blind oncoming drivers or ones ahead of me. What I HATE is reading in the news "I never saw them" b**sh*t from cagers who are too lazy to turn their heads when changing lanes or turning left at intersections. People I ride with have said they really help and are not blinding at all.

2013 Versys1000
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post

possibly the result of a coffee imbalance??
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM

Sorry, I had one to many glasses of scotch I don't want to punch anyone in the face.

I am still against any type of LED light that is not "warm" (the color that matches stock OEM headlights) Even white light isn't as good for night time viability.

LED manufactures use super high temp led (color temp) because the higher the color temp the more lumens they can advertise. My "warm" led set up has a much lower lumen count, but visually it is much easier to see at night, and isn't distracting during the day.

It really doesn't matter where you point the lights, just think about that annoying Hummer with a horrible HID conversion. It is bright as sh!t and annoying to everyone around him/her. Doesn't matter if the said truck is on the other side of the highway. It is the color that is annoying.

Speaking about LED lights, my friend is currently in the process of putting together this light for me.
6k actual lumen, with warm LED's. With a high and low mode that is tapped into the stock wiring harness.

Hooligan

Last edited by Freerydejunky; 01-21-2014 at 01:43 PM.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
Sorry, I had one to many glasses of scotch I don't want to punch anyone in the face.

I am still against any type of LED light that is not "warm" (the color that matches stock OEM headlights) Even white light isn't as good for night time viability.

LED manufactures use super high temp led (color temp) because the higher the color temp the more lumens they can advertise. My "warm" led set up has a much lower lumen count, but visually it is much easier to see at night, and isn't distracting during the day.

It really doesn't matter where you point the lights, just think about that annoying Hummer with a horrible HID conversion. It is bright as sh!t and annoying to everyone around him/her. Doesn't matter if the said truck is on the other side of the highway. It is the color that is annoying.

Speaking about LED lights, my friend is currently in the process of putting together this light for me.
6k actual lumen, with warm LED's. With a high and low mode that is tapped into the stock wiring harness.
No worries, m8. Hope your install turns out nicely. Post it up when you're done!

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 02:45 PM

The Denali from Twisted throttle actually has hi/low beam. One of my ride buddy installed 2xDX and 2XD2 on his Ninja 1000, he also replaced the headlight with projectors. During hi-speed night rides, he light up the mountain, while the HI/LO beam (partnered with the HI/LO beam switch) makes it sure that on-coming traffic is in check.

I love that setup, but Denali's are expensive, I am thinking of mounting the spotlight on the crash guard (still reviwing the effect of vibration on LED spots) and D2s just above the signal light.

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerydejunky View Post
led manufactures use super high temp led (color temp) because the higher the color temp the more lumens they can advertise.
orly ????
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would call those driving lights instead of fog lights. Fog lights are mounted as low as possible so you don't just light up the fog which diminishes forward visibility. Look good though.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
The Denali from Twisted throttle actually has hi/low beam. One of my ride buddy installed 2xDX and 2XD2 on his Ninja 1000, he also replaced the headlight with projectors. During hi-speed night rides, he light up the mountain, while the HI/LO beam (partnered with the HI/LO beam switch) makes it sure that on-coming traffic is in check.

I love that setup, but Denali's are expensive, I am thinking of mounting the spotlight on the crash guard (still reviwing the effect of vibration on LED spots) and D2s just above the signal light.
I would LOVE to see photos of that setup along with some night shots on and off. Sounds like it would be almost like daylight.

Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode