43 Tooth Rear Sprocket - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
43 Tooth Rear Sprocket

Just installed a 43T sprocket. This thing is great. It seems to really relax the bike and I don't feel like I have to shift out of 1st gear halfway thru an intersection anymore.

2011 Kawasaki Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Agree. I've had a 43 on my V for some time now and like the difference. More relaxed feeling at highway speed and I appreciate the lower revs. When I want to rev the daylights out of something I go out and thrash my Abarth - great fun!

Another benefit of the 43 is now the speedo and my GPS now agree with one another - very nice in my opinion.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Agree. I've had a 43 on my V for some time now and like the difference. More relaxed feeling at highway speed and I appreciate the lower revs. When I want to rev the daylights out of something I go out and thrash my Abarth - great fun!

Another benefit of the 43 is now the speedo and my GPS now agree with one another - very nice in my opinion.
Hey guys. Just to check with u guys out of curiosity. In the case of downsizing the sprocket, does the odo meter now reads Slower? I.e. If in stock form the bike gets 400km to a tank, in a down sized sprocket it would read less than 400?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticks View Post
Hey guys. Just to check with u guys out of curiosity. In the case of downsizing the sprocket, does the odo meter now reads Slower? I.e. If in stock form the bike gets 400km to a tank, in a down sized sprocket it would read less than 400?
True. You have to recalculate your gas mileage.
I have changed the front sprocket from 15 to 16 teeth, which gives me slightly less than 7 percent higher gearing if I remember right.
Before the odometer was quite accurate but the speedometer showed too much. After the change the odometer shows too little, and the speedometer slightly less than GPS speed.
There are many threads about this here.

Anders B.
Sweden
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 AM

Yeah, I have the 16T front, speedo reads a little low 68 at 70 (GPS) and the odo is 9% low.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 09:45 PM

Installed a 43T rear 18 months ago and it works well with a street tire. My speedo is spot on using this sprocket.

I'm getting ready to change my V up and run more aggressive dirt oriented tires. These tires are taller and a little heavier than the usual 160 street tire. When I do this, I'll reinstall the original rear sprocket and it should come out even in the wash.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 12:30 AM

difference?

How does going up to a 16t counter sprocket compare to going down to a 43 rear?
I like the idea of having taller gearing.
Do you buy oem or after market sprockets? brand recommendations?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whangler View Post
I bought a JT rear sprocket. I think it was like $24. The Versys is very easy on chains and sprockets so no need to go crazy on super high end stuff unless you feel compelled to.

I have no experience using the 16T front, so I can't tell you much about it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:33 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whangler View Post
It was invader that posted a chart with the front, rear sprocket ratio's. Search doesn't work for me other wise I'd post the thread link for you.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=sprocket

It's a 520 chain with 114 links. The 44T moves the rear axle ahead only very slightly compare to with a 46T. Barely measurable, and not a problem at all.

Yes, gearing is raised by 4.55% from 15/46 to 15/44, but it's a better overall ratio that feels more usable and better adapted to the Versys' vast, flat and ample torque curve. It is possible to suffer from gearing that is too low... Conversely, 15/43 (+6.98%) and 16/46 (+6.67%) seemed a bit overkill on taller gearing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by invader; 03-29-2010 at 05:34 PM.

This is for information only! Not trying to say 43t is too tall. That is a personal choice for your motorcycle riding habits. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 02-18-2014 at 03:51 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 AM

Going to a 43T rear or a 16T front have almost identical result. Stock (15/46) = 3.07, 16/46 = 2.88, 15/43 = 2.87. Using a 16T front might be a litte cheaper and a little easier as you don't have to remove the rear wheel. You can get a O.E.M. style front sprocet from Kawasaki but it will cost a little more ($35).

I have a O.E.M. 16T front. Took about half an hour to install. Speedo now reads 68 mph at 70 true (GPS) and odo reads 10.0 miles when actual is 10.9, stock Dunlops, stock pressure.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 10:56 AM

Hey guys.. Just wondering. If you downsize the rear sprockets, leaving the front stock. Doesn't it make your bike more difficult to accelerate?

I for one am finding it difficult when I'm cruising at 120kph and I try to accelerate in 6th.. It's seems like there's nobody home in the engine unless i really crack the throttle wide open..

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticks View Post
Hey guys.. Just wondering. If you downsize the rear sprockets, leaving the front stock. Doesn't it make your bike more difficult to accelerate? ....
Yes. Making the front BIGGER, or the rear SMALLER will change your overall gearing to lower numerically (ie - from 3-1 to 2.5-1) which will give fewer revs for a given speed in a gear, therefore LESS acceleration, all else being equal.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Yes. Making the front BIGGER, or the rear SMALLER will change your overall gearing to lower numerically (ie - from 3-1 to 2.5-1) which will give fewer revs for a given speed in a gear, therefore LESS acceleration, all else being equal.

Thanks for explanation man. I do understand it as I ride bicycles quite enthusiastically last time. So the question now us, despite the lack of acceleration, why do you guys reduce the size till 2/3 tooth lower than stock? I think I'm on 45 rear and I can't stand it already. Yet to check the front sprocket size at the moment.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:11 PM

Are you interested in lower rpm at highway speeds and higher top speed. If I want more acceleration I just downshift.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:20 PM

Don't hesitate on the 43T rear. I never looked back. Ever so slightly trickier off a stop on the clutch, but you don't notice it after 2 or 3 tries. Speedo now spot on. Don't really know why they went with 46T...and an inaccurate speedo...

Dave T.

'09 Versys
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Really enjoying the 43t sprocket so far.

2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbud View Post
Don't hesitate on the 43T rear. I never looked back. Ever so slightly trickier off a stop on the clutch, but you don't notice it after 2 or 3 tries. Speedo now spot on. Don't really know why they went with 46T...and an inaccurate speedo...
IF you ever plan to ride on dirt roads, my experience is that you do NOT want to gear your bike higher. At VERY low speed you can experience a sort-of "hickup... stall" which happens when you're trying to turn, and lots of the time you will go down when this happens.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:44 PM

Not only did I go down a tooth in the rear, I went up one in front, make it much taller gearing. No hiccups...no stalling. First gear is still low enough to do ANY off-roading.

2003 Honda RC51
2006 Honda CRF450R
2008 Kawasaki KLX450R
2009 Kawasaki Versys

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF you ever plan to ride on dirt roads, my experience is that you do NOT want to gear your bike higher. At VERY low speed you can experience a sort-of "hickup... stall" which happens when you're trying to turn, and lots of the time you will go down when this happens.
Just put MPR4's and a 44t sprocket which I love so far. But hope you are wrong Eddie about that "Hickup... stall".

Will change back in a second if thats the case! Love dirt roads.

Will report back with complete review when -20 is gone!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Just put MPR4's and a 44t sprocket which I love so far. But hope you are wrong Eddie about that "Hickup... stall".

Will change back in a second if thats the case! Love dirt roads.

Will report back with complete review when -20 is gone!
Had the "Hickup... stall" thing happen several times on my KLR, handle-bars low, a couple of times - NOT good. Also have had it happen once on my '09, and ended up handle-bars low, but was able to swing it around to tires low.

NOT fun, however! (Feels like a THOUSAND POUNDS trying to lift it!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode