Chicken Strips - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chicken Strips

I have owned my Versys (new leftover 2012) for a week now and am really enjoying it. The break-in period was brief but I am keeping the revs down to under 7k. But, it is still a kick.

Although I am 68 years old, I do like spirited riding and I use my chicken strips as a guide as to how much harder I can go. I have had (and still do) sportbikes with Q2 tires that I had complete trust in. Also had a sit up style BMW boxer with BT023 tires that I trusted. I never quite get completely rid of the chicken strips but like to use them as a gauge.

Now, with the stock tires on my bike, how far down can I lean and still trust them to hold? I haven't been able to find any literature online about these tires. I've read that others drag the pegs but with different tires.

Any help?

Thanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 05:37 PM

I'm 67, also with a '12 leftover (Black). I'm a little cautious in the cold and wet but I'm working to get rid of the chicken strips on the stock Dunlops. Can't waste tires. I have a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4s on the way and will change both when the back is gone, save what's left of the front as a back-up.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:20 PM

64 here. The Dunlops you can't trust them, even dangerous in the front.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've had no issues with the stock tires. I used them until they were worn out. Just make sure they are warm before pushing it hard. I've ridden them hard enough to have orange peel on the tires.

Don't have one of the front tire.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 01-10-2014 at 08:34 PM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
had no issues with stocks tyres and cut rear out in 8000km run BT 023's now and use them on both my bikes, my litre bike will be getting its 3rd BT 023 very very soon as on wear bars at 9500km on the Ninja 1000
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 PM

I think it's terrific that you guys are in your late 60s and still riding!...cheers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
pipopo likes this.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 PM

Pilot Powers on the ZX-10R.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I too am happy to see the other older folks still riding in a spitited manner. Way to go!

Regarding riding on cold tires, do the tires really get warm(?) when it is only 50 degrees out?

Thanks again,
Richard
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 05:28 AM

I don't need to be right on this, but my stock Dunlop tires gave me the worst contact feeling even far from the chicken strips. Sliding almost inpossible. Freeking! The front tire, under any temp condition, had a life of its own, very hard to correct when sliding away. I am not the only one with this opinion, based on different experiences. They are not good on bad slippery roads either.
Bottom line is, makes sure they are warm before pushing it and do not drift, nowhere.
Would be interesting to know if anyone had his chicken strips down while ridind the Dunlops.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckendall View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I too am happy to see the other older folks still riding in a spitited manner. Way to go!

Regarding riding on cold tires, do the tires really get warm(?) when it is only 50 degrees out?

Thanks again,
Richard
Yes! Attend a GP race and notice the tire warmers. Your tires will get warm(er) even in freezing weather. Always be cautious those first few miles you ride 'til the tires are warm.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I've had no issues with the stock tires. I used them until they were worn out. Just make sure they are warm before pushing it hard. I've ridden them hard enough to have orange peel on the tires.

Don't have one of the front tire.
'Bout what I have around town. Goes to about half that when I hang around with the holigans on sportbikes.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
'Bout what I have around town. Goes to about half that when I hang around with the holigans on sportbikes.
I think tire profile has a lot to do with the size of the chicken strips.

I have no chicken strips on the rear tire on my Voyager 1700, and maybe a 1/8 inch on the rear Concours tire.

Of course that photo was taken when I took a break after riding 48 toward Cheaha mountain on a fully laden tour when the tires were still fairly new. I was pointing out the orange peel, not the chicken strips.

All this is to say that chicken strips are not necessarily a good measure of how you ride the bike. Some guys push the bike over in the curves while staying perpendicular to the road which requires more lean angle to navigate the curve than if you lean your body out into the turn, as well as different tires have different profiles.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 01-11-2014 at 09:54 AM.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:51 AM

Garage
Quote:

Thanks again,
Richard
Drop the pressure a couple lbs in colder weather. The flexing helps heat them up.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 AM

Dropping the pressure a bit helps in any weather. Track tire pressure is usually around 30/30. Higher tire pressure is for better tire wear.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Garage

My OEM Dunlop on it's last ride

Last edited by MaverickAus; 01-11-2014 at 10:26 AM.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 11:52 AM

My stock tire I was able to get 4552 miles out of it first owner put 1482 miles on it and never leaned. I did not like the feeling of this tire. the PR3 where a huge improvement over these.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Now, with the stock tires on my bike, how far down can I lean and still trust them to hold? I haven't been able to find any literature online about these tires. I've read that others drag the pegs but with different tires....
I dragged the 'pegs (or the 'feelers' anyway) several times on the OEM Dunlops here in AZ.

Oh, BTW - I'm 70.

Quote:
...Regarding riding on cold tires, do the tires really get warm(?) when it is only 50 degrees out?...
Yes - just takes awhile.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again to all responders.l This has been very interesting and certainly helpful to me. I will drop my tire pressures a couple pounds and keep tabs on wear patterns. The bike does feel good and encouraging to me, but I just want to be cautious.

If anything unexpected comes up, I will surely let you know.

Thanks again,
Richard
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post

My OEM Dunlop on it's last ride
That's serious orange peel. Heck, that is melting the tire. LOL! Good thing you didn't slide out on those sucky OEM tires.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Here two pics of my OEM Dunlops in the FIRST 150 miles after I bought my '08. (SAME tires that I dragged my 'peg feelers with several times....)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01045 copy.jpg (31.5 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01046 copy.jpg (37.1 KB, 265 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-12-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode