bent fork needed for radial brake project - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
bent fork needed for radial brake project

I am back on my radial calliper project and need a pair of fork tubes c/w the bottom leg casting in order to make a 3D model

The goal is to machine a new bottom leg casting to hold a radial calliper rather than use a scabbed on bracket.

Anyone have a pair of bent fork tubes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
I am back on my radial calliper project and need a pair of fork tubes c/w the bottom leg casting in order to make a 3D model

The goal is to machine a new bottom leg casting to hold a radial calliper rather than use a scabbed on bracket.

Anyone have a pair of bent fork tubes?

I researched this quite a bit for my bike and "looks" like you can use the lowers from a recent Kawasaki concours and you install that on your tubes. fender mounting points would need to be fabbed.

So you need - Concours lowers, axle, spacers, rotors and calipers.

I have already bought the rotors and calipers for my bike. I am going to buy some lowers soon and try it.

My bike is the versys 1k btw but I think the mod may work the same on the 650.

The versys and concours wheel is a direct fit (I tried)

On my bike I already switched to a concours front wheel because it is stronger than the versys wheel.

Last edited by jfman; 01-01-2014 at 12:08 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
...On my bike I already switched to a concours front wheel because it is stronger than the versys wheel.
Just curious - HOW do you know it's stronger...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

I have PM'ed Jfman but for those not in the loop, it appears that the USD concourse forks have a 43mm fork tube as does his 1000 Versys. - the 650 Versys is 41mm
Having said that, the Concours is not available here in Thailand so my info is coming via Google

There must be a different fork leg that I can use rather than have to machine a new one. Or a complete new fork with radial calliper mounts

Last edited by Hoghead; 01-01-2014 at 11:59 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just curious - HOW do you know it's stronger...?
They are designed for a heavier bike and are heavier as well.

I have seen stunters use them on their stunt 636 because they are stronger and the drag race bikes on zx14s switch to Zx10/636 wheels to save weight.

Last edited by jfman; 01-02-2014 at 02:49 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:00 AM

Quote:
I have PM'ed Jfman but for those not in the loop, it appears that the USD concourse forks have a 43mm fork tube as does his 1000 Versys. - the 650 Versys is 41mm
Having said that, the Concours is not available here in Thailand so my info is coming via Google

There must be a different fork leg that I can use rather than have to machine a new one. Or a complete new fork with radial calliper mounts
Ok my bad, I assumed versys 650 was similar to Versys 1000. My research was done for the 1000.

I would look into Kawasaki models with 41mm and radial brakes and see what is compatibe... But I cant steer you further.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

My big problem is that not all bikes are available in Thailand and the local knowledge to mix and match is limited. I can only find out so much on the internet and really need some help on this

My problem at this point is the longer Versys fork. Does anyone know of a 765mm long fork (cap to axle centre line) with dual radial brakes that can fit on the Versys. Alternatively an inner fork tube that I can fit into the existing forks. Last choice would be a suitable bottom casting, but it will be tricky to press the new one on - off is easy with a hollow jack

I could make one but it is a lot of work, and I need a Versys one to model as I would rather not tear mine down to find that I cocked it up or cannot do it.

I imagine that one could use shorter forks off a sport bike and a lowering kit, but I do not want to give up the longer travel suspension with our compromised roads
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:24 PM

Have you checked with local salvage yards? There has to be some bent Versai in the area! The fork has no salvage value if bent, I'd think they would be happy to get rid of them.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

That was my first try, but I am in Thailand and nothing is thrown away - bent forks are straightned and the insurance company will fix half assed every time.

In any case I have given up making a lower leg casting and am now fitting BP-SFF ZX6R forks with 310mm ABS radial brakes.
Yes they are shorter, but with a speedy lowering block at the rear it will work

Which leads me to the next problem. Is the 2013 ZX6R 310mm rotor the same as the 2013-14 Z1000
the Z1000 is made here and I can buy new rotors for the price of used ones in the USA
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
That was my first try, but I am in Thailand and nothing is thrown away - bent forks are straightned and the insurance company will fix half assed every time.
Yikes!
Sounds like you guys need more lawyers!
Well, the new fork setup seems like a more fruitful route anyway. But it could be moving away from the core of Versys Lore. Maybe an ER6 Performance shop would have some answers. BRP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode