Klr Vs Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Klr Vs Versys

If I Change The Tires Will The Versys Be A Good Dual Sport Machine. I Was Thinking Of Buying A Klr650 But The Versys Seem To Be A Better Bike If I Just Change To Off Road Tires. Am I Correct Or Should I Just Get The Klr650. I'll Be Doing About 75% On The Road And 25% Off Road...... Aloha

Last edited by MYANU; 06-13-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:21 AM

The KLR is no doubt a better off road, especially if you are talking stock tires. However, the V is way better on road. I wish Kawasaki would stuff a V motor in a KLR frame. Now that would be sweet.
I wish they would put the V motor in a 4-wheeler frame.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:19 PM

I have both and am selling the KLR. Neither is great oof road, but the KLR is better. For gravel roads, no big deal on the Versys. For 85-15 riding get the Versys! If I had went with the KLR first I would not have known any difference, but the Versys is better.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:17 PM

yup KLR is better offroad, it works so great that The USMC uses it in combat.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 AM

I read an article that says the Marines have converted the KLR over to run JP4 (diesel). So it burns the same fuel as all the other vehicles. That way they don't have to carry gasoline, just for the KLR. http://www.dieselbike.net/militaryproduction.htm
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:21 AM

They make them in diesel as well. Do not get me wrong I think the KLR is a great, basic, bulletproof machine and if you want more off road than go KLR. The Versys is just a better road machine is all. My co-workers before getting BMW's went to Alaska and back on KLR's, so they are proven.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:13 PM

I had a KLR 2008 model and sold is a couple weeks ago to get the V . The KLR is much better offroad , softer suspension , low rpm grunt , the 08's have better brakes and smoother motors than the previous models .

But on road you cant compare , the power , handling , cruising speeds , V wins hands down .

I dont enjoy the V offroad , luckly I have a Husky for that type of riding .
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 PM

I too had an 08 KLR and I traded for the Versys. I wouldn't take my Versys offroad except for some dirt/gravel roads and maybe a very good trail. My KLR was heavy, but did fine offroad. I traded it in because I was doing much more time on the highway than the trail.

With the 16t sprocket, I could drive a comfortable 65mph on the highway (gps) or 72 indicated without using oil. Above that and it used oil. Keeping it 4500 rpm and below it did fine.

If you won't be driving very far on the highway at speeds over 70, then the klr is a good or even great bike. The versys is awesome for twists and higher speeds. I personally wouldn't take it offroad much, buy a klx250 or dr for great offroad.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:54 PM
rbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
The KLR is no doubt a better off road, especially if you are talking stock tires. However, the V is way better on road. I wish Kawasaki would stuff a V motor in a KLR frame. Now that would be sweet.
the Versys engine in the 08 klr would be awesome. I debated for over a year between the 08 klr and the Versys. Almost bought the klr and at the last minute changed my mind (that was mainly because I went to deliver my Katana 600 to it's new owner and realized I still wanted a sporty bike). If only we could all have multiple bikes, a klr, versys, concours, fz1 and maybe a drz400 to round off the stable.

RBL

07 Versys, orange.
givi e21's & pelican 1550
warm&safe dual heattroller
fender extender (unknown brand)
rear hugger
madstad bracket
vario windscreen
handguards (dr650?)
klr front and rear signals
hb crashbars
flatfoot
lowering pegs
ctech fuse panel
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I couldn't imagine really taking the Versys off-road. My driveway beats me to death and the stock Versys tires get real squirrely on the way in. It's very nice on my '05 KLR though. I too can only afford one, so the KLR will be going sometime soon, as I really spend almost no time off-road anymore.

I would say KLR's with the right tires are true 50/50 bikes. They are competent on the road and the dirt.. not good at either, but decent at both. Off-road, the KLR is heavy, and you get a work-out getting it to go where you want. On-road she is a bit slow.. with little grunt left in reserve at 65+ mph, and the ride quality above 65 mph is poor.. wearing you out (unless your young enough to absorb the abuse). BUT, everywhere in between.. she is Great!!

The Versys... well, I don't think she is really a dual-sport or even 85-15. I think she is a long travel street bike. I know she doesn't like my driveway much (500 yards of jeep trail). Even with dual-sportish rubber, I think asking her to perform off-road would be a mistake. Dirt roads.. Yes. Light trails.. Yes Log jumps, rocks, ruts, uneven ground... No Way man, not me anyway.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode