Skid Plate Choices, or lack there of... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Skid Plate Choices, or lack there of...

Good day all. I am about to purchase a skid plate.

SW Motech, Hepco & Becker, Happy Trail, Adrenaline?, ???, Other one that won't return my e-mail.

I am quite disappointed with the complete lack of choices for the Versys. I really don't care what the thing looks like, and I'm not scared of a little fab work, but I have the following requirements. It must be mounted to the frame or heavy aluminium casting. This eliminates the SW and the H & B. It must be flat on the bottom so I can use a traditional lift to lift both wheels of the ground. It must have access to the oil filter.

Really, this is not a lot to ask.

I have read everything on this forum about this subject, and from what I have read, HT is one of the worst companies to deal with. For my requirements, HT is the closest to my requirements.

My mouse is poised over the PAY button on the HT website... Any last minute ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Why does a street bike need a skid plate?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 AM
MTS

Don't want to hit bottom!

Thread about a guy on this forum that hit the bottom of the V. Bad damage!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Frankly, not one of the skid plates besides the old algard tickle my fancy.

None of the are worth the time or money for me.

Hooligan
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 12:18 PM

I had Happy Trails skid on my 2008, and now i got SW-motech on my 2012.

both skid plates are good, but in my opinion SW motech is way better.

let me explain and tell you some of my thoughts:

with Happy Trails you get horrible customer service, you will need to drill holes on the plates that are kinda specific to your bikes fitment, and if you get a newer bike, like i did, it will be a problem to fit it to the new one. Also it does not protect the sides of the bike properly, so gravel roads will destroy the stock plastic easily. clearance is reduced by a lot if you are using happy trails also. and access to filter is by removing 4 bolts.
SW-motech, nice sturdy peace of metal. protects the sides well, fits on rubber gromets, so less noice and less vibes on freeway. access to filter is about the same, although you can drain the oil without removing it. I use car jack with wooden block to lift the bike and it works like a charm. And estetics is better with the SWM one.

hope it helps

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 PM

look here,

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 PM

I just had a thought for anyone out there who has the ability to develope a Vee skid plate, why not integrate a center stand into it. The center stand issue with the Vee is a lack of mounting points, wouldn't the rear or bottom of a skid plate provide a surface to mount a center stand to? I think the first skid plate manufacturer to produce a skid plate with the option of a center stand would be a huge hit.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post

So, you saying I need to add skid plates to all my street bikes? I thought they were only for off road riding where you know you are going to hop logs and rocks.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote: twowheeladdict - Why does a street bike need a skid plate?

Quote: twowheeladdict - So, you saying I need to add skid plates to all my street bikes? I thought they were only for off road riding where you know you are going to hop logs and rocks.

No, Nobody is saying anything. Nobody is forcing you do do anything. Just like nobody can prevent me buying bottom protection for my bike that I feel is necessary. Unhelpfull.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Quote: ADV.Russian - I use car jack with wooden block to lift the bike and it works like a charm.

Interesting. Never thought of that. I guess I thought it would be necessary to be flat to use my ATV lift. Do you think it is possible to shape a couple of blocks (V Shape) to fit under the SW plate to lift the bike off the ground? I use this ATV lift and a couple of blocks for my CR250 and it works pretty slick. Anybody Try this?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:41 PM

i use mine with the flat one, and it works. i guess has something to do with the balance of the bike.

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had to twist, grind and reweld Happy Trails skid plate tubing and mounts to fit properly, and I replaced the 2 Mickey Mouse plates for larger and stronger custom fitted ones. It sits close to header collector, with minimal loss in ground clearance. I have good oil drain plug access, and it's just sturdy enough to support Versys with both wheels off the ground... Others who have just slapped it on as is had very poor access to drain plug.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
I am quite disappointed with the complete lack of choices for the Versys.
Wait till ya look for a center stand.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:28 PM

Smile

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Quote: twowheeladdict - Why does a street bike need a skid plate?

Quote: twowheeladdict - So, you saying I need to add skid plates to all my street bikes? I thought they were only for off road riding where you know you are going to hop logs and rocks.

No, Nobody is saying anything. Nobody is forcing you do do anything. Just like nobody can prevent me buying bottom protection for my bike that I feel is necessary. Unhelpfull.

Interesting that you equate need with force. Asking if I need something doesn't equate to force. Must be one of those master/servant things.

I guess what I should have asked is what is the purpose of putting a skid plate on a street bike.

Don't tell me you think the Versys is anything but a street bike. My 77 Honda 550 four Supersport street bike was more off road friendly than the Versys is IMO.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post

If it's the thread I'm thinking of, that bike had the Algard attached via the oil pan. To be honest, I don't know if any of the pans will truly protect against a solid object (eg half-buried rock or edge of a deep pothole). They are designed to deflect loose objects, such as small rocks thrown up from the front wheel.

That said, I have the Algard attached via the exhaust pipe. I can ride a (loud) bike with a cracked pipe... it's harder to ride a bike with a cracked oil pan.

Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
My 77 Honda 550 four Supersport street bike was more off road friendly than the Versys is IMO.
Yeah right, try finding a skid plate for that monster.
At least it has a center stand.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
So, you saying I need to add skid plates to all my street bikes? I thought they were only for off road riding where you know you are going to hop logs and rocks.
My KLR had an aluminum skid-plate that showed a fairly wide line down the center from little rocks and stuff kicked up from the front wheel.
Seems as good a reason for one (skid-plate) as any other....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:37 PM

Good point, Eddie. My skidplate's front checkered aluminum plate is permanently pitted near the middle from top to bottom. Great protection for exhaust header, oil filter, and crankcase. It also perfectly protects bottom at exhaust collector when slamming it down on humps and stumps while on gnarly offroad stints.

I've always had a Fenda Extenda, and a radiator guard.

Last edited by invader; 11-27-2013 at 12:25 AM.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 12:05 AM

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

twowheeladdict - Interesting that you equate need with force. Asking if I need something doesn't equate to force. Must be one of those master/servant things.

twowheeladdict - I guess what I should have asked is what is the purpose of putting a skid plate on a street bike.

twowheeladdict - Don't tell me you think the Versys is anything but a street bike. My 77 Honda 550 four Supersport street bike was more off road friendly than the Versys is IMO.

Master/Servant things? People tell me I NEED house insurance. For good reason. I am, in a way, FORCED to buy it. Ouch, Master/Servant things... Try saying that to my face.

I have owned and still own "true" DS bikes. I have raced motocross since I was 8 (I still have the X Rays to prove it). I get your point. We ALL get your point. A 200 pound CRF with it's 12+ inches of wheel travel is better off-road than a 450 pound Versys with 5 inches of wheel travel. Duhhhh. Like many people here on this forum, I tend to take my Versys down the odd "Dirt Road" when I'm out exploring. Those of "us" that have driven down a dirt road can tell you, occasionally, you come across a pothole, loose stone or a root. Sometimes your front wheel can spin up a stone toward the exhaust and oil filter. No, I would never hinder (in any way) the Versys' on road ability. In fact, I would never replace the corner carving 17 inch front wheel in favor of a 19 incher, because I am not willing to give up anything on the road. A one pound skid plate would have little affect on "on road" handling.

Please stay off this thread. Nobody is interested in how poorly you think the versys is off-road, compared to your old 550. Your comparison is foolish.

To everybody else, can you still get the Alguard Plate? I am not getting any response from the e-mail address I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode