hid 50 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hid 50

hey, anybody tried the hid50 bulbs on the V? I have a buddy who is going to install on his beemer, I understand the wrongs ones can damage lenses and housings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I purchased a HID bulb/ballast kit off of Ebay for $30 two years a go and replaced the low beam bulb with it. Over all I am pleased. In daylight riding it stands out better in traffic due to it's pure white color. A night it is at least as good as the OEM bulb. I have held off replacing the high beam bulb with another HID kit as it takes 30 seconds or so to reach full intensity, not so good with high beams that get flicked on and off.

The only down side to HID bulb kits is they produce light in a different position than regular bulbs so the existing reflector may not focus it as well as incandescent bulbs.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

the hid50.com site has rapid response ballast that has a 0.1 sec response time according to the site--the site is out of the UK

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
HID in halogen housing makes a bad light, scattering light everywhere but where you want (on the road).

take a look at projector installation on Versys.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15364

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
HID in halogen housing makes a bad light, scattering light everywhere but where you want (on the road).
HID (30 or 35 W - donīt remember) works fine on my bike since a couple of years. Much brighter during day riding - makes me more visible to car drivers (the difference is huge!)
Driving when dark is much more pleasant than with stock halogen bulb. The light gets where it should be. (I sent back the first HID bulb I got because it was not 100 % straight.)

Anders B.
Sweden
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:32 PM

I had HID in my halogen reflector and I know where it goes...
I was so MAD at the drivers that have HID in their halogen housing and blind me every time, even during the day.... so I changed mine.
It was discussed all over, I don't want to start again.. it's your decision.

meanwhile, read this article, not mine but very informative..

http://forums.evolutionm.net/04-06-r...-housings.html

Versys 2015 Green
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 PM

Dude, I had an 03, K12GT Bmr. I bought a DDM HID kit (H7, 55W, 5K temp) for it, never put it on. Went on easy on my 13 V but since it was a 55W, I but it in the high beam enclosure so it's only on when I need it. I have a Sylvania zXe in the low beam so that's plenty, when I really need to 'light it up' the HID on the switch takes care of business. Another reason for HID in the hi-beam enclosure is the optics in that part of the headlight is perfect for it unlike the lo-beam box. The DDM unit was cheap, easy to install and I can get replacement bulbs when I need them. Btw, replacing a bulb on the V is not a quick fix so due to the lifespan of most HID's I'd rather not have it as my main light source.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 10:50 PM

lifespan of HID??? it has no filament, it's not affected by vibrations, I have mine for more than 3 years and never replaced one....
I have 2 projectors, I keep one as backup since I have 2 lows and 2 highs...
it puts out a lot of light and never felt I needed more.
most important, it has a perfect cut-out and never blinded anyone.
If you really want HIDs, go for the projectors. Plus, the high beam it's instant...

Versys 2015 Green
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the information guys---think I'm going to hold off on this option until I look into the projector hids more
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 02:24 PM

has anyone put in projectors on a second gen that doesn't require cutting the housing?

Peter
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:59 AM

Instead of modding to hids, a swap to 65w osrams and add a pair of good aux lights gives the same and more.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode