Kawi Dealer $565 MBPR3's Estimate! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
MTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kawi Dealer $565 MBPR3's Estimate!

$565 estimate new M PR3's installed front and rear M & B complete job.

Additional $3 for each lead balance weight used?

$86 install fee. $20 additional fee for each tire I bring in and did not purchase from them!

Question? Does this sound about right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post

$86 install fee. $20 additional fee for each tire I bring in and did not purchase from them!

Donno... I am gonna be doing tires this winter myself. Are you dropping off the bike or taking in the wheels?

I plan on removing the wheels.. Not sure if I am going to purchase the tires myself or not. My dealer is good about price matching online so the cost of the tire should be up to me. I will be at their discretion for labor. Their fees are posted but I have not looked on the board for tire fees.

Subscribed!
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 04:41 PM

My local Kawi dealer charges about $20 a tire to install, if I bring the wheels in. They don't care where the tires were purchased. $86 to pull both wheels off the bike and mount/balance tires would be a good price, but the extra $20 per is BS. I'd shop around. Find a good price on tires at amazon or the superstore, usually free shipping. Then find a shop that will mount them for less than $100 if you bring the bike in (I'm assuming you don't feel comfortable or don't have the tools to pull your own wheels?).

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 04:47 PM

I paid ~$300 for my PR3's and had a local garage install them for me. Grand total was $400. I think you're getting ripped off
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I paid 550$ to install mine, bought the tires from them.
I was in a rush, but next time I'll shop more around....

Versys 2015 Green
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Being moto only taking the tires off and bringing them in isn't always an option... But the tires online. Look on craigslist, usually there is someone local that will change them out for 50-60 bucks on the bike.

90 per wheel is insane.

Hooligan
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Hell No....Don't Do It...

Look Here...http://www.jakewilson.com/p/52/-/348...otorcycle-Tire ... http://www.jakewilson.com/p/52/-/343...otorcycle-Tire

You can find a tire installer in your area here... http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Installer.aspx ..Just put in your zip code... You can also have the tires ship to the shop you want to install them..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-17-2013 at 06:20 PM.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:10 PM

Actually that's about right, being the tires are $303 alone here: http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...D-3-TIRE-COMBO So your looking at $262 for mount, balance, shop fees, tax, disposal fee, etc. Plus you know their charging you a little more for the tires than what you can get them for off a website.

I hope to one day get stands and just have the tires mounted and balanced at cycle gear.

Edit: It's like another 11 bucks or so when you select our sizes.

Last edited by ZX6RTraded; 10-17-2013 at 06:18 PM.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had my tires put on for $35.00 a wheel on the bike at a shop i found on the link i provided above. Just so happens they do great work there so now i get any work i don't do done there..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 07:35 PM

I paid right at $300.00 for RP2 front & rear at my favorite shop. Then pulled the wheels and they charged me $30.00 each to mount and balance them. $360.00 total.

I could have taken the tires and wheels to my regular tire guy and he'd done the job for $40.00 for both. The tires I could have ordered offline for $280.00. You can save a bundle by ordering tires off line IF you have a good tire man to mount and balance them. If not it can cost a lot more to get them on if you can't do it yourself. BUT I would rather buy local if I can because one day I'll need something and if the shop's gone what then? And these guys have been good to me so it was worth the extra.

I think I'd look around if I were you. The first place I checked was over $150.00 more for the job.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 10-17-2013 at 07:38 PM.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:03 PM

Garage
go find a small independent mechanic. I use to go to my dealer for tires, and they would horribly over charge.
the independent guy for me stocks very little stuff, but he will have the tires there within a day or two for me. When shipping and price are all factored in he usually is within the online dealers buy a close price. he will mount up tires that I bring to him off the internet, but charges quite a bit more for it. When I buy the tires from him I pay $30 per wheel.
I save money going to him and I'm happy that I helped out a local guy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:03 PM

Sounds high to me. Last week I had a set installed for $500.00 including levy, taxes, installed wheels on bike.
And that is in Canada where we always get screwed on prices.

2013 Versys1000
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 PM

Had PR3's put on at the Kawi shop in Goleta, CA (near Santa Barbara) in May 2013.
Front tire: $130.99
Rear tire: $154.99
Labor to replace front/rear tires: 0.6 hrs $51.00
Shop supplies: $1.99 (e.g. wheel weights)
Tire disposal $8.00 (mandatory in CA)
Total: $346.97

No muss, no fuss. Since I'm not ADV this bike, I don't care about trailside tire change skill set for THIS bike. If I was riding off-road, MX, enduro, whatever, I'd bite the bullet and get the tools and skill set to do field changes...but for this bike, nah...got better things to do. Seemed fair to me.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:44 PM

Seems high, Jake Wilson and Sport Bike Track Gear have the lowest prices on tires. Michelin's have a soft sidewall and is fairly easy to change at home with a couple of tire levers. The most important thing in changing at home is to use a good tire lube, NoMar has a great one. Cycle Gear will balance them for free. If anyone is close to Huntsville, Al let me know and we'll mount and balance at no charge takes less than an hour.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 PM

Garage
About $640 for PR3s this year, installed and purchached from the installing shop. Tires are EXPENSIVE in Canada.

Always trust your cape.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Seems expensive. Suggest shopping online for a good price on tires. Install them yourself. It'll take 15 min a tire after it is removed from the bike. Find some you tube videos on how to do this. Get some dyna beads at your local auto tire shop to balance the tire (1 oz for front, 2 oz for rear) and throw them in the new tire (with a piece of folded paper) before you spoon on the top bead but after the bottom bead is on. Lots of support on this forum for changing your own tires.

What you'll need:
- 3 tire spoons/irons
- a bead breaker
- rim protectors/Tropicana containers cut up work well
- an old cardboard box layed flat on the floor to protect your wheel when you lay it flat.
- to remove the front and rear wheels you will need pit stands to support the bike. Also very handy for other maintenance tasks like oil changes, chain lubing, cleaning, etc. Cheap at Harbor Freight/Princess Auto. The rear swing arm is threaded for the install of spools ($10 on ebay) to lift the bike by.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-17-2013 at 09:22 PM.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 PM

PR-3s on Amazon... No tax, free shipping:
Front - $137.56
Rear - $170.01
Total - $307.57

$565 is WAY too high.

EDIT: Try this forum to find a reliable place to have them mounted: http://pnwriders.com

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 10-17-2013 at 10:08 PM.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
About $640 for PR3s this year, installed and purchached from the installing shop. Tires are EXPENSIVE in Canada.
That's far too much money, unless you had other work done on the bike at the same time. You can get PR3's from Pete's Superbike (Canadian supplier) for about $365 with shipping and taxes.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
MTS

Thanks for all the great information.

I now know what to do!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 02:14 AM

I just bought the pr3 last month from motorcycle super store and had them installed locally. Total cost $330 .Now if you count the tools I had to buy. To remove my wheels The front and rear pitbull stands used off Craigslist $110 Front adapter pin for the front stand $8. 14mm Hex key from sears came in a 4 pack with other hex sockets $45 so grand total for first set of tires with tools I had to purchase $493.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode