Do You Really Need Handguards? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do You Really Need Handguards?

They cost quite a bit. What do they do for you? In my part of the world, it doesn't get cold enough that your hands freeze while riding, in fact the opposite is true, it's so hot that the wind on your hands help cool you down and reduce sweating on your hands.

Does it really afford you any sort of protection? Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 AM

Garage
lol, yes
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:21 AM

Yes rider proctection when squeezed by cagers and bike (clutch/brake lever) protection during a drop

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You can have handguards for armor to protect your hands, without the wind deflectors (protectors)... Hands are vulnerable on a motorcycle. You want to protect them as they can come in handy at times.

http://www.zeta-racing.com/handguard...ent/index.html
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 03:53 AM

I got mine to deflect the wind when the temperatures drop. They make a big difference in my riding comfort. I found myself riding in the cold often enough, even when living in Vegas, that they were well worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 AM

They also stop rocks and large bugs from hitting your most sensitive exposed body parts (assuming you are wearing a full face helmet). I've been hit in the fingers by rocks (yes, even with gloves on) where it is dangerously distracting.
In the rain, I've noticed, no matter how hard it's raining, my gloves are always dry (they are water repellent, not water proof, so it makes a difference). In the dry cold, I don't think they help much, BUT, for some reason they DO seem to keep my hands from cooling when it's hot.
In the Philippines, I probably wouldn't have them, unless it was for impact protection.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:20 AM

I think they're worth it for the clutch/brake lever protection alone. Haven't seen many people with good hand guards have to replace their levers after a lowside or other minor accident, but I have seen a lot of broken levers from accidents without them.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:56 AM

In my part of the world it's used primarily for hitting cars wing mirrors. And of course the levers when the bike falls.

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:03 AM

i took a car from front once
i dodge enough to escape myself, but the handlebar hit the car in the windshield and i crash

the handguard "just" saved my fingers

now that's your choice...
wind or finger, but depend which you loose
one will nerver feel the other frome the same way...

(sorry for my "fluent" english xD )
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:12 AM

I have experience of two sets of metal wrap around handguards break and damage other parts of the bike. On my KLE a topple was enough for the metal to bend and snap off a valve on the top of the fork. On the Versys the stock one snapped and broke the screen in half.

I now have plastic only ones. The main thing they do is take the worst of the rain off my gloves.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:17 AM

My hands stay cold as it is, the wind break effect to me is worth its wieght in gold.
I also get hit by a lot of road debris, coal mines, means coal trucks and trucks coming off muddy heavy debris mining roads, in my estimation from a cracked windshield, my hand guards have saved my fingers more then once.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
They do save the levers and throttle/grips, and the rest too when falling not as low on them.

I like my smaller protectors/wind deflectors with reduced wind drag... Zeta now has new more aerodynamic design:

http://www.zeta-racing.com/handguard/x2/index.html
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My barkbusters were put on to protect from the cold but they have also saved damaged to clutch lever when I dropped bike as they are really strong.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 11:34 AM

I think unless you do a lot of off road riding, through the woods, etc. that they are really mostly about wind deflection.

Yes they might save your clutch/brake lever in a minor drop. But most of the guards I've seen cost more than the lever. So let the lever break. Most levers are designed so the tip breaks off and you can still ride home.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 02:59 PM

Wished I had them on my old Nighthawk when a dump truck pulled out on the interstate up in Virginia. Gravel flying all over the place hitting everybody. Several hit my helmet. A couple hit my fingers...not fun at all!

I'm all for 'em!

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You can have handguards for armor to protect your hands, without the wind deflectors (protectors)... Hands are vulnerable on a motorcycle. You want to protect them as they can come in handy at times.

http://www.zeta-racing.com/handguard...ent/index.html
Invader's RIGHT! Just try "pickin' your nose" w/ your hand in a cast...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneto View Post
I got mine to deflect the wind when the temperatures drop. They make a big difference in my riding comfort. I found myself riding in the cold often enough, even when living in Vegas, that they were well worth it.
I remove the plastics when it's hot. The rest (aluminum spine) have saved levers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
...Yes they might save your clutch/brake lever in a minor drop. But most of the guards I've seen cost more than the lever. So let the lever break. Most levers are designed so the tip breaks off and you can still ride home.
And IF they break MORE than that, UNLESS you carry spares - you ARE toast.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 04:43 PM

Garage
I'll be honest. I mostly bought them because I thought they looked cool. But they definitely do help keep the wind off of my hands on colder days. if they can save my levers in a tip or crash, that is great too I would hate to have to call to get a ride home just because my letter broke.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I thought the primary purpose was to protect your hands from brush/bushes when off-road riding. Seems like they can serve other purposes as well.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:27 PM

You can still ride home if your break a clutch or brake lever. Done that several times, riding in the bush, then riding home on the tarmack. Piece of cake.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I'll be honest. I mostly bought them because I thought they looked cool. But they definitely do help keep the wind off of my hands on colder days. if they can save my levers in a tip or crash, that is great too I would hate to have to call to get a ride home just because my letter broke.

+1 I live in Texas and ride exclusively on roads, so I don't really need them, but I dig the coolness factor (even though I'm old enough it shouldn't matter). Now, regarding Hawk's letter - it broke; I guess broke the girl's heart he wrote it to. I, on the other hand, don't want my lever broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode