eBay brake pads? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
eBay brake pads?

Saw these pads listed on eBay ? They are dirt cheap. Worth a try?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Carbon...cef928&vxp=mtr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not familiar with this product but the old adage "you get what you pay for" might be worth considering.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

I keep hearing that in the bacK of my head. How much would a good quality set of pads run me?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Motorcycle-superstore.com sells EBC organic pads for about $28 for rear and $38 for front. Scintered pads are more but still worth the price IMHO. And EBC is a respected brand. Other members may have found better prices or prefer other brands. Hopefully they will chime in and offer more info.

Carbon kevlar sounds impressive but $11.99 for a set of 4 pads is too good to believe and sets my antennae to quivering something terrible.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 09-15-2013 at 08:50 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 PM

I do NOT take chances with my brakes, I don't need them to break at the wrong time. I'll cut corners on lot of things but never brakes or tires.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 PM

Garage
In Canada, I paid $48.25 for each front and $40.90 for the rear, EBC pads.

These eBay jobbies are probably that cheap for a reason. The company is in the USA, but the pads could be sourced from any overseas sketchy factory. It's worth it to pay money for your brakes, IMO.

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You should try out Volar's sintered HH pads... Original pads are Tokico sintered HH as well.

Volar are good pads. They've been tried and liked on various models... Having said that, I do like my Vesrah (Japan) RJL sintered HH pads very much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintered-HH-...item53ed4f1184

http://www.volarmotorsport.com/Motor...rake-Pads.html

http://www.volarmotorsport.com/about-us.html
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachandjake View Post
Saw these pads listed on eBay ? They are dirt cheap. Worth a try?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Carbon...cef928&vxp=mtr
Having replaced my stock Tokico pads with EBC HH pads on the front I notice there is a HUGE improvement in braking performance. All brake pads do not perform the same in my experience. For this reason I would speculate that these are no real bargain.

I found the EBC sintered HH pads are MUCH less grabby and MUCH more linear in grip so you can brake a lot harder without as much risk of accidental lockup. Guessing there are other good pads like these out there but probably not at bargain prices.

Since most Versys don't have ABS I would be inclined to get the best brake pads available although expensive racing pads may not perform well on the street as they require high heat to work effectively.

Last edited by versys_rider; 09-16-2013 at 12:29 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:43 AM

In general, carbon/organic pads doesnt really work well in street settings. In cold, the grip is poor. But in track, it is a different story, as the constant braking heats up everything, the pads can really hold.

Anyway i use EBC hh pads and i love it.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 10:24 AM

Just for the record I've used those brake pads from e-bay on my XT660. That bike came with GG pads from the factory and I decided to try those GG pads from e-bay (kevlar/organic are GG). They work fine, they won't kill you, don't last very long, pretty much the same as going for EBC GG pads... But much cheaper. I tried a rear set first, I wasn't going to put those things in the front, and managed to get them done in 3000kms of abuse. Then I replaced front and rear with those and well, the rear without abuse lasted 4,000kms and the front 6,000kms, just like the EBC GG pads, on the other hand the OEM Brembo were good for 17,000 in the rear and 20,000 in the front, so eventhough they are much more expensive than the EBC I went back to the OEM Brembo.

I wouldn't use them on the Versys as the Versys came with HH pads from the factory.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 11-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 11:28 AM

EBC pads or O.K. O.E.M. pads are actually very good an hard to beat at any price. I wouldn't put ebay pads on my ex-wife's bike.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I wouldn't put ebay pads on my ex-wife's bike.
Hmmmmm .....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 10:14 PM

EBC - HH and you will be happy and safe given the Versys crappy brakes
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 07:39 AM

Versys brakes ain't crappy you would have to go to Harley or KLR for that. The Versys is not a ZX-10R. On one sided calipers the piston side pad wears more. You will note that one O.E.M. pads the piston side pad is thicker. Ain't the case on EBC pads I have used. The fit of O.E.M. pads also seem to be better than EBC. I have also used Galfer pads. Neither seem to work better than the O.E.M. pads and don't last as long.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 09:26 AM

They are actually pretty crappy, there are many other bikes out there with single disks up front that brake better than the Versys. I can't tell exactly what makes the brakes so bad on the Versys, probably the master cylinder, as those floating calipers work pretty good on the Wee Strom (they use the same calipers). Then there is the "feel", floating calipers suck at that, opposed piston calipers are much more progressive and provide feedback.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 09:57 AM

I installed Vesrah RJL pads. Along with steel braided lines, a good improvement over stock.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
They are actually pretty crappy, there are many other bikes out there with single disks up front that brake better than the Versys. I can't tell exactly what makes the brakes so bad on the Versys, probably the master cylinder, as those floating calipers work pretty good on the Wee Strom (they use the same calipers). Then there is the "feel", floating calipers suck at that, opposed piston calipers are much more progressive and provide feedback.
I can't think of any except dirt bikes. Maybe it is operator error. I installed some Galfter lines and it improved the feel a bit. It will do a stoppie, not one finger like the ZX-10R and with lots of front end dive. What more do you want?

Last edited by waltermitty; 11-29-2013 at 11:14 AM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 09:52 PM

EBC HH.

Well worth the money!

Hooligan
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I can't think of any except dirt bikes. Maybe it is operator error. I installed some Galfter lines and it improved the feel a bit. It will do a stoppie, not one finger like the ZX-10R and with lots of front end dive. What more do you want?
+1 on that. EBC HH pads and my V brakes quite nicely.I get good feel from the lever and granted, I need to use two fingers, but so what? I never have understood why so many complain about the brakes but then again, I got my V used and it had EBC rotors as well as the pads, so maybe the combo is why I like it. The master cylinder is stock, however, and the MC and the pads are the usual reason for poor braking feel and performance.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You should try out Volar's sintered HH pads... Original pads are Tokico sintered HH as well.

Volar are good pads. They've been tried and liked on various models... Having said that, I do like my Vesrah (Japan) RJL sintered HH pads very much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintered-HH-...item53ed4f1184

http://www.volarmotorsport.com/Motor...rake-Pads.html

http://www.volarmotorsport.com/about-us.html
What's your disc wear like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode