Looking for expert opinions on exhaust and suspension... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Looking for expert opinions on exhaust and suspension...

But ill take internet half-assed guesses as well.

My goal for this bike is to make a long distance tourer that is capable of tackling gravel roads, dirt roads and possibly double track while still being able to preform well on the street. The bike will normally wear a set of PR3's for commuting, but will be replaced with more off road tires for trips.

1) I have noticed that there is an excessive amount of front end dive under moderate to heavy braking and the rear tire is extremely easy to lock up. I understand that the versys isn't a supersport, but would a progressive spring help with front end dive on the road without limiting off-road ability? For the record I weigh 190 lbs and have happy trails teton hard cases installed usually loaded with stuff. I'm going to adjust the sag, and preload this weekend, but i don't think it will be enough.

2) I'm not a fan of the stock exhaust. I don't want an open pipe monster, but I would like a nice deep tone that can be heard over the valves. I am looking for a pipe with better clearance, less weight, moderate tone and does not interfere with my hard cases. I'm not planning any engine mods like the power-commander or tune, so it needs to work right out of the box. Does anyone know which one might fit the bill? Maybe the CSone with a silencer tip, or the leovince snail exhaust? is the added clearance even worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
1) Try maximum spring preload on both fork legs, with rebound damping screw at 1/2 turn counterclockwise from lightly seated clockwise.

2) http://www.delkevic.us/?section=shop...f_versys_(2010)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 07:58 PM

Leo vince has the best tone quality without being stupid loud.

Find a local shop near you that specializes in suspension set up. It is the best money you can spend on your bike.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
1) Try maximum spring preload on both fork legs, with rebound damping screw at 1/2 turn counterclockwise from lightly seated clockwise.

2) http://www.delkevic.us/?section=shop...f_versys_(2010)
Thanks invader, I'll give this a try on sunday. Do you have the delkevic? how does it sound?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
Leo vince has the best tone quality without being stupid loud.

Find a local shop near you that specializes in suspension set up. It is the best money you can spend on your bike.
Thats what I have heard about the leo vince. But which exhaust should I use if im worried about ground clearance and clearance for the hard cases? The gp style EVOII looks nice, but im not sure it offers any more ground clearance. Im not going to be conquering any mountain trails, so maybe i should stop worrying about the underbody exhaust?

As far as suspension goes, there is a pretty good suspension shop in Austin, but I'm wondering how much that will cost me. Gotta pay to play sometimes though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Always found this thread a good one on suspension
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=705
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 10:31 PM

Suspension set up usually doesn't run over 60 or 70 bucks. Well worth it!

As far as clearance goes for the exhausts. The stock can is a pig. None of the aftermarket pipes hang any lower than the stocker as far as I know. The Leo Vince pipes sound the best in my opinion.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 10:37 PM

Sounds like you are doing the same type of riding as me. I recently returned from a 3 day trip, 623 kms. of logging roads, sand, and river rock trails (equal amount of pavement). What I found suspension wise, and this comes form my dirt bike background, is the front fork even with the minimum pre-load and light compression hits very hard on off road trails. The rear setup is much easier to tune due to the added weight of gear and the dampening effect that offers. What I have come to realize is the low profile of the stock tire sizing allows no tire flex to help with terrain (even at 24 p.s.i.) add to that the fear of exploding a rim and lower tire pressure becomes more of an issue. The next tour I make will involve taller profile tires and more aggressive tread (Avon Distanzias at the moment).
On the exhaust side, after riding gravel for months prior to this trip, I successfully hammered out all the rivets on my Two Bros. pipe and left the can looking like a golf ball. Here is the easiest stock pipe modification; using a 1.5" o.d. hole saw and an extension bit for it. Remove the pilot bit from the hole saw arbor and with the extension attached run the saw all the way into the exhaust pipe inlet and cut out the first bend of the 180 turn inside the pipe. The pipe inlet acts to align the hole saw so that is why the pilot bit isn't needed. Cutting slowly and checking with a flashlight, the pipe will need to be inverted (inlet pointing down, drill pointing up) for the last bit of cutting. This is to prevent the "plug" that is being cut from falling into the can. No matter what angle a person tries, there will be a 3/4" long cut that makes it through to the outside of the end wall of the can from the hole saw because of the angle and profile of the end cap. Less than a minute with a TIG or MIG welder and it is sealed. It takes longer to get the pipe off than to modify it. With this cut made, the pipe will give a defined exhaust note with revs and a little sharper throttle response. Incidentally, this action bypasses the catalytic converter and eliminates 2 passes through the muffler. From the attached photo, the bend that is being cut out is the 180 degree turn that "A" is pointing to.
Although the stock pipe is big, heavy and not very handsome... it can take a hit which sometimes is good thing on a trail.
Cheers.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You can and should learn to adjust your own suspensions. There are only two basic adjustments to be made front and rear. Spring preload (ride height) and rebound damping... What are your rear settings at?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgreen View Post
...My goal for this bike is to make a long distance tourer that is capable of tackling gravel roads, dirt roads and possibly double track while still being able to preform well on the street. The bike will normally wear a set of PR3's for commuting, but will be replaced with more off road tires for trips....
Suggest you read the threads about adding an R1 rear shock. With that, ATF in my forks, and 130/80 front, 150/70 rear tires - my Vs are PLUSH on pavement OR dirt.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 01:51 PM
djg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
braking, exhaust, suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode