Insatlled my Heated Grips.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Insatlled my Heated Grips....

WHY do I always fall for the "About one hour" crap! More like 3 hours and 4 trips to the store and then I find the controller isn't working right. I have power, grips turn on and I can turn the heat up BUT not down. The install is so simple, plug up, Power & Ground I don't see where I could have screwed up. Yes I have plus to plus and ground's good. I ended up hooking to the battery and not the Kawasaki powerpoint to try and troubleshoot them. BTW these are REV 7 not the latest and greatest REV 8 so I have the control head and then a module back near the battery.

I did have to pound the controller bracket flat and get longer bolts and spacers to mount it. AND sand the paint off the bar to get the left grip on. Then the left grip would not heat, I quick look and one of the connectors was loose, the metal connector in the plastic Molex. A quick push with a small screwdriver to reseat it and that's fixed.

I'll ride in tomorrow as it's going to be in the 50s I;ll get to try them out. If I like them I put a set on the KLR as well.

I think I'll miss my old heated gear but after the GFs mutt had lunch I'm not spending $600.00+ for as little winter riding as I do to replace it.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
WHY do I always fall for the "About one hour" crap! More like 3 hours...
Every install is like that for me. I am very particular in every screw, solder joint, plastic tab removal etc.. I make sure that every wire is properly strain relieved and will not fray and cause problems.

Glad you found your problem and got it done!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
BTW these are REV 7 not the latest and greatest REV 8 so I have the control head and then a module back near the battery.
I spoke with Revzilla, then Oxford themselves. You can't get the Gen 8 controller in their kits, they are all still Gen 7. They only send out the Gen 8 controller when a Gen 7 dies, you can't even buy it as a stand alone unit. They apparently have a huge load of the Gen 7 controllers to go through before they start putting the Gen 8 in their kits. Sounds like it might be next year before you see the change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

I found out that the grips are fatter than the Pro-Grips I had on and that is a good thing. I had some big meat hooks and even without powering the Oxfords up they make it a bit more comfortable. They are very grippy to boot again a good thing.

I'm pulling the switch mounting plate off tonight and designing one to fit better on the Versys. I'll cut it from 16g SS. It'll be flat and I'll center the switch so it's in line with the mirror. I post photos when I get it done. Even if it's SS I'll likely paint it to blend in better.

It was warmer than they said it would be this morning and even on the lowest set a lot more heat than needed so come cold weather I think they'll do fine.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 AM

Quote:
I found out that the grips are fatter than the Pro-Grips I had on and that is a good thing. I had some big meat hooks and even without powering the Oxfords up they make it a bit more comfortable. They are very grippy to boot again a good thing.

I'm pulling the switch mounting plate off tonight and designing one to fit better on the Versys. I'll cut it from 16g SS. It'll be flat and I'll center the switch so it's in line with the mirror. I post photos when I get it done. Even if it's SS I'll likely paint it to blend in better.

It was warmer than they said it would be this morning and even on the lowest set a lot more heat than needed so come cold weather I think they'll do fine.
Interested in making a second? I just bought the Oxford's but haven't done the install yet.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves View Post
Interested in making a second? I just bought the Oxford's but haven't done the install yet.
Make it a third! I'm buying the grips in the next couple of weeks.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 AM

It's always something. When I installed DualStar heaters with a HI/OFF/LO switch, HI and LO were reversed. I double checked the wiring and everything was according to the schematic. Forum member redline had the same DualStar heaters and the same issue. It wasn't too involved to rewire it so the HI was high and the LO was low, but it was time I could have spent riding.

FWIW, I find that grip heaters work much better if you have some kind of foam or neoprene overgrips. I like Original Grip Buddies (have them on both my bikes) because they add a bit of diameter to the grips, absorb some vibration and just feel nice. (I reviewed them here.) It takes a bit longer for the heat to build up and work through the overgrips but the heat is more evenly distributed and the grips stay warmer. That's important if you're shifting a fair amount and your left hand is on the c-c-c-cold clutch lever repeatedly.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

I cut the new Bracket today BUT it's way too hot to deburr and get it mounted. I did cut a few extra as a couple of you guys ask about it. First Come First Served Just PM me you name and address and I'll get you on the list. I cut 10 extra BUT if needed I could cut a few more. I know it looks a bit rough right now but after I deburr, clean and paint them they should look OK. I did make this to fit a 2nd Gen but I think it'd fit a 1sr Gen as well. Next is to make spacers. The one that came with the gris is on the left, I pounded it flat to fit. The one I cut, on the right, is 16g T304 SS so It'll never rust!

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok got them mounted and the switch is bad, turns on, off and up but not down. So I ride over to Iron Pony to see what they will do for me. Guy in parts grabs a set off rack and says we'll swap it out. Problem solved. AND a big Thumbs up for Iron Pony.

It was in the 50s today and anything over 40% was too much. I am pleased they way they work. I rewired them into the Kawasaki grip/power socket relay so they turn off with the key as I'd kill the battery in a week otherwise.

Think I'll do a set on the KLR next.

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM

took me about 5 hours to install mine, I mounted my switch on the center of the handlebar riser with 10lb outdoor rated double sided tape. 1 yr later (including the bike sitting out for 4 straight days of downpour) it's still holding strong.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage

I've installed Oxford heated grips on a previous bike and they truly are an easy install. Everything just plugs together. There are no wires to strip or solder with the Oxford kit and you can run the wires under the tank without completely removing it. Just lift the rear of the tank by 1 inch. They are also a value IMO at <$100 if you do much colder weather riding. Took about 1 hour to install after reading through install instructions.

I currently use Gerbings T5 heated gloves on my Versys. The gloves are warmer and more comfortable in the really cold stuff compared to heated grips, as they heat the fingers and back of the hand, but don't have the convenience of the constant availability of the heated grips. I now have the gloves because I also have a heated jacket liner that allows them to plug into the cuffs. They make a great cold weather combination.

Can't imagine cold weather riding without either heated grips, insulated gloves or heated gloves. You'll probably want insulated gloves along with the heated grips in really cold weather though if you don't have heated gloves.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-21-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode