Muzzy Exhaust - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Muzzy Exhaust

Hey Guys, Please pardon my ignorance on this issue. God bestowed upon each certain talents and skills and I have accepted that He unfortunately didnít bless me with much mechanical aptitude. A pricey deficiency, I know. So hereís my question. I bought my Versys ďpreviously ownedĒ and the previous owner racked-up 788 miles before deciding that owning the ultimate machine wasnít his cup of tea. However, before abandoning his Versys, he did send it off into the world with an enhancement. Well, it was pitched as an ďenhancementĒ. He had a Muzzy exhaust installed. Thankfully, he also turned in the stock muffler, which was given to me at the time of purchase. So now hereís my question(s): Engine music preference aside, Am I advised to keep the Muzzy exhaust in place, or is it recommended to switch back to the stock muffler? Are there any possible problems that could derive as a result of having an aftermarket exhaust in place? Besides the noise, whatís the diff? I guess thatís it. Any advice on this issue will be greatly appreciated! Thanks again, and Stay Safe![/P]

2008 Kawasaki Versys
i LOVE this bike!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 AM
FJS

Well, I installed a Muzzy on mine because of the looks but was let down by the amount of noise it makes. If the noise does not bother you, keep it on, there are no downsides in performance, the contrary, itīs more free flowing.

I went ahead and got me an Arrow, not as pretty but much quieter and you can take out the center with a pair of circlip pliers. Will sell the Muzzy, way too loud for me and people around me.

If you are not hot roddin' around, put the stock back on, heavier but you don't have to fork any cash on top.

MHO
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:57 AM

How do YOU like it? Does it sound nice to you? How does it run? Does it sputter & carry on or does it respond nicely to throttle input? I don't think it'll cause any problems leaving the Muzzy on there, but if you don't like it, go back to stock & see what happens. It looks good! I would imagine the stocker being quieter, especially on the road at freeway speeds. Swapping the exhaust would be fairly easy. A couple of hours at the most for someone who has never done something like that. If you did decide to go back to stock, I would think you could sell the Muzzy fairly easily. It is a nice looking pipe, after all. Part of the fun of owning a motorcycle, at least to me, is personalizing it. I mod my bike to suit me, not the internet crowd. If I want a pipe, I put a pipe, if I want a brighter headlight, I get a new bulb. Good luck to you on your choice. Enjoy the ride...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:08 PM

A big +1 to what B on a B said. But if you decide you don't want the Muzzy, let me know. I would be interested in buying it from you. Or you FJS...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:37 PM
FJS

By no means was I telling Clay what to do and apologize if it came off as such. In My Humble Opinion, there is absolutely no performance downside on keeping the pipe on, on the contrary, it is better than stock because it is more free flowing and no catalizer. It gave me a little more power and the fuel consumption was better.

It is my personal opinion about the Muzzy, just too darn loud for sustained riding which is why I went with the Arrow (more easily tuned for personal taste). Like B on B said, every body personalizes their own bikes to their own likes. Will add soon the BMC air filter and see how that fairs out.

Cheers
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:49 PM

Bike will be fine with it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I have the complete Muzzy exhaust header and slip-on. Got it on Ebay for $360 + $65 shipping... I did find it to be too loud, so I removed the core and had my welder add a domed baffle plate. It's about 1/16" smaller in diameter than the outlet's inner diameter, and held 1 1/16" behind outlet by three 1/4" wide supports, all of 16 gauge stainless steel. It's perfect now, much quieter and it does sound better and smoother. You can't see the header outlet through the slip-on anymore.

Last edited by invader; 06-02-2008 at 01:35 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 AM

That Muzzy looks really good!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks guys for all your responses. Make no mistake about it Ė the Muzzy will wake your Grandma, whether or not she is still with us! I mean, this sucker is loud! When just sitting there idling, it has a deep chopper-like rumble and when the throttle is opened, it speaks out accordingly. When my buddies take my bike around the block, I can hear it a couple of streets away! Since the bike isnít at risk with it installed, Iíll give it a couple hundred miles, then switch back to the stalk pipe and play it by ear (pun intended). Again, Mucho Thanks! P.S. Bear on a Bicycle, Iím originally from San Antonio, moved to AZ about 3 yrs ago, but have been a Spurs fan since back when we played at Hemisphere arena. Letís join forces in wishing Kobe the worst of luck!

2008 Kawasaki Versys
i LOVE this bike!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayf View Post
Thanks guys for all your responses. Make no mistake about it Ė the Muzzy will wake your Grandma, whether or not she is still with us! I mean, this sucker is loud! When just sitting there idling, it has a deep chopper-like rumble and when the throttle is opened, it speaks out accordingly. When my buddies take my bike around the block, I can hear it a couple of streets away! Since the bike isnít at risk with it installed, Iíll give it a couple hundred miles, then switch back to the stalk pipe and play it by ear (pun intended). Again, Mucho Thanks! P.S. Bear on a Bicycle, Iím originally from San Antonio, moved to AZ about 3 yrs ago, but have been a Spurs fan since back when we played at Hemisphere arena. Letís join forces in wishing Kobe the worst of luck!
You got it man!! Nice to see another Spurs fan out there!

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:33 AM

I agree with the personal taste opinion. Not everyone likes the same thing...my last bike was so loud I got into fights, living in downtown Denver!!! Besides, I get so much wind noise in my helmet, once I get going, I can't hear the damn exhaust anyhow!!!
Fukken cheers,
Erik!!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:03 AM

Hi,

For those of you that got the Muzzy exhaust, could you post a video on youtube? I would like to hear it.

Thanks.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 AM

Here's a good Muzzy clip (not mine.) It's on a Ninja 650R but it will sound pretty much the same.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pHA9RTo2vHA&feature=related
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqy_d...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aytk3...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ3dl...eature=related

Mine sounds pretty wild and a bit deeper with the Muzzy header and slip-on with added baffle... I've just inherited a Canon PowerShot A75 and a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, so now I have to start unveiling the sights and sounds of my custom Versys.

Last edited by invader; 06-18-2008 at 03:29 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:39 AM

Piston's fan here. However, I can go with you on the anti-Kobe sentiment. Not the biggest Celtic fan, but better than Kobe winning it. Go Eastern Conference!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
Piston's fan here. However, I can go with you on the anti-Kobe sentiment. Not the biggest Celtic fan, but better than Kobe winning it. Go Eastern Conference!
I guess that explains the user name....

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I guess that explains the user name....
LOL
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 07:03 PM

Hey, thanks you guys for the Muzzy's video...

The pipes sounds loud... I like !!! Around the canyon road I ride, the highway patrol will give out ticket for loud pipe !!! I guess shift up a gear or 2 will lower the sound...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode