DIY chain oiler - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DIY chain oiler

Well since the V needs a swingarm lift to do routine maintenace on the chain I decided to make up a chain oiler to do it for me. I sorta copied the Loobman design for a manual type oiler. I used a piece of music wire from some leftover RC airplane control rods inside the icemaker plastic line and bent to the needed shape. It seems to work pretty good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:52 PM

What is that black plastic thing at the end? How does the oil get from the bottle to the 'applicator'? What oil is used?

I came from a belt drive bike and this 'chain thingy' is all new to me. Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Oiling the chain on this bike is a PITA. Without a center stand and without the ability to use a maintenance stand - rotating the chain is not easy. I rolled the bike back and forth in the garage today - I even dropped the bike once doing this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
What is that black plastic thing at the end? How does the oil get from the bottle to the 'applicator'? What oil is used?

I came from a belt drive bike and this 'chain thingy' is all new to me. Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Oiling the chain on this bike is a PITA. Without a center stand and without the ability to use a maintenance stand - rotating the chain is not easy. I rolled the bike back and forth in the garage today - I even dropped the bike once doing this.
>>>What is that black plastic thing at the end?<<<
That is a piece of cut ziptie stuck into the end of the 1/4" icemaker line. It deposits the oil on the sprocket where the chain meets the teeth.

>>>How does the oil get from the bottle to the 'applicator'?<<<
This is a manual oiler you just squeeze the amount out that you want and gravity does the rest. It slowly runs down as you ride and oils the chain.

>>>What oil is used? <<<
I used 80-90 gear oil but there is a large debate in the motorcycle community as to what is best and it depends on your riding conditions.

I came from belt drives myself hence the oiler. I hate chain maintenance. Do a web serach for chain oilers and chain maintenace and you'll find millions of dollars worth of peoples .02 cents. Oh and

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 PM

For chain lube.... the best product I've found is MFR Pro-Gold Chain Lube. I've been using this stuff for 8 years on dirtbikes. You won't find it on shelves but it can be ordered from any dealer that has access to Tucker Rocky. The carrier is mineral spirits so it doesn't fling once it dries (which is no time at all). I don't think it would work well in a lube system like this... but the product rocks!

I'm about a month away from getting a street bike... but you can be damned sure I'll be using Pro-Gold on the chain. It's proven itself in motocross and offroad racing so the street will be like a walk in the park.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the help on this and great idea!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 AM

Does it make a mess after you park it?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:14 AM

Baddone, nicely done.

I had the Loobman but the parts that rubbed against the sprockets only lasted so long. Then I set it up just over the chain so it would do a slow drip because I added some foam inside the plastic line, but that got messy.

My latest solution that has worked for a long time is two foam paint brushes sandwiching the plastic line, so when I squeeze the bottle, the lubricant goes down the line and soaks the foam brushes, the foam brushes rub against the entire top of the chain. I give it a squeeze just before riding at times or during riding. My chain is always sparkling clean now since it constantly rubs against the WD-40 soaked foam and stays well lubed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Do you have any pictures of your chain oiler?
Thanks
dbocz
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbocz View Post
Do you have any pictures of your chain oiler?
Thanks
dbocz
I don't take good pics but it shows the idea. My chain always looks clean as shown and stays lubed. I only give a short squeeze to the bottle every few hundred miles. As mentioned, you can squeeze just before you ride or during. It is best squeeze it at lower speeds rather than hwy speeds.

I have an idea for a much better product that I just may market someday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0004.JPG (952.3 KB, 1465 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0007.jpg (143.9 KB, 796 views)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 AM

What kind of hugger is that and were can it be purchased?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode