MRA X-Creen Sport Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
MRA X-Creen Sport Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade

I bought this last week, installed and tested yesterday for a few miles on the Palisades Parkway in NJ. It made quite a difference in wind noise and helmet buffeting. I started at home of course, local streets where you could not really tell any difference at all. I wore a HJC IS Max modular helment so it's noisier than a full face to begin with.

I then took it to 9W with speed limits of 40 mph, but went up to around 50-55 mph, with the visor up. Now, I could tell the add-on was doing its job. I turned my head to the left and right as if to change lanes to see if any change in wind effects on the head. Pleasantly surprised... there was none.

A couple of miles down I get to the entrance ramp to the Palisades, as we call it here and there I went... 55, 60, 65, 70 mph! With the spoiler about an inch and a half above the main windscreen (givi 410st) and the visor still up, I was amazed how there was quite a reduced amount of wind noise in the helmet, and impact on the my head. I again turned my head to change lanes, and no buffetting. I returned to the right lane as my exit was about a mile away, still at around 65-70 mph and all is pretty much like riding in local streets. This is the first time that I could hear the engine humming clearly more than the wind noise.

The kit came with both the clamp on and the bolt on. I did not want to bore holes on my main screen at this point so I used the clamps. Assembly was easy, except for one minor thing with the clamps which was my fault... I positioned it the opposite direction, but after looking at the pix in the instructions (who looks/reads the instructions?) I corrected it.

I made a stop at a scenic overlook to catch the view of the Hudson, which also gave a chance to check the install. I might not have tightened it all the way in the garage ( I was afraid to over tighten and break something as I sometimes do on farkle installs)... it needed a couple of turns of the screws on the clamps attached to the main screen and the brackets attached to the spoiler.

Adjusting the spoiler to find the "sweet spot" is done by a simple turn of the brackets in a ratchet fashion, both up and down with an option to change the angle as well.

The the whole package, except for the screws are all plastic of what appears to be good quality and the bracket assembly method is a series of inserting one part into another, which looks pretty secure.

Overall I am more than satisfied with this add-on, but I will update in the future to see how it holds up.

UPDATE: I should have mentioned that my V is 2013.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x...-bolt-on-10533

Last edited by ESE_VERSYS2013; 08-11-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Givi Tall Screen with Variable Spolier Blade and Adjustable Air Vent.

The adjustable Air Vent allows air to the mid section of your body and the spoiler keeps air slight above your helmet.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have the same Givi and I was wondering if the X-Creen work with this...
thanks for answering my question, I'm looking into this..

Versys 2015 Green

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I remembered that I checked the fitting for Givi screen and it didn't fit.
it needs 26cm between holes, and Givi is not that wide on top
yours is the first generation?
can you post a close-up photo please?

Thx!

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I remembered that I checked the fitting for Givi screen and it didn't fit.
it needs 26cm between holes, and Givi is not that wide on top
yours is the first generation?
can you post a close-up photo please?

Thx!
I failed to mention that I have a 2013 V and used the clamps instead of the bolt on mountings.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM

I agree....and amazing piece of kit!!! I've sold my Versys, and am selling my MRA Touring screen with X-Creen spoiler bolted on.......

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...418#post382418
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Update: Mra -x screen on i-287

It's a beautiful morning here in NJ, a great day to ride my V to work with the X screen spoiler. So, I'm on NJ Rte 4 west for about 3 miles running at about 55-60 mph as I spotted a County Sherriff's car about 3 cars behind me so I stayed on the right lane. I still had my external visor up with the inside tinted visor down. Wind noise is minimal, can hear my sweet V humming along... not long after spotting him, he overtook me and a few seconds after I changed lane and followed him. Speedo said 67 mph and was keeping up with him with about a 10-car space between us.

Soon I was approaching the entrance ramp to I-287, still following the cop car. Fortunately, he exited on the first ramp as I guess he was out of his jurisdiction already and was going to turn back. This gave me a chance to see how good this spoiler is. Now at about 68-70 mph, still with the main visor up, wind noise is still minimal. No helmet buffetting when I turned my head before changing lanes.

I proceeded on to the left most lane, twisted it to about 78-80, 80-85, then finally to the low 90's mph. No change at all in noise or wind impact on the helmet. I closed the the visor and now it's really much better. My car has worse noise at this speeds (granted, it's a 2002 mazda).

I am truly happy with this add-on. One thing I have to remember before each ride as part of the TCLOCS that I practice anyway is to tighten the installs with the tiny allen wrenches which I keep with the bike keys.

I highly recommend this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM

What year is your V?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
What year is your V?
I have a 2013 white and black.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 01:17 PM

Does anyone know if this windshield can be forced to fit the older model of Versys?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Does anyone know if this windshield can be forced to fit the older model of Versys?
The stock windshield in the 2013 is similar in shape at the top as the 2009and this does not fit on mine. The clamps or bolt on mounting is about 10.5 inches apart which is wider than the stock. You'll have to get a touring after market shield.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 08:07 PM

I just fitted the Xcreen spoiler thingey to my MRA windshield.

I do notice the difference, but am a bit baffled as to what the ideal position is for maximum wind deflection. I am about 5'11" and have a longish back so sit a bit tall on the bike.

Here are a couple of possibilities. When I put the screen up too high i get a lot of wind coming through the gap. Any tips?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xcreen1.jpg (43.2 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg xcreen2.jpg (37.3 KB, 247 views)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalbikey View Post
I just fitted the Xcreen spoiler thingey to my MRA windshield.

I do notice the difference, but am a bit baffled as to what the ideal position is for maximum wind deflection. I am about 5'11" and have a longish back so sit a bit tall on the bike.

Here are a couple of possibilities. When I put the screen up too high i get a lot of wind coming through the gap. Any tips?
I have the smaller spoiler (10 inch wide) clamp ons, not like the on you have as I have a givi main shield, too narrow (only 12 inches in width) for the big spoiler (14 inches wide) . However, for me the sweet stop is having the spolier about 1 inch higher than the main shield, at the same angle. I see that in your set ups the spoiler is at a different angle from the main shield.

Also, I have the givi at the highest position. I am 5'10" and this morning I tried my set up with ear plugs, all I hear is the whisper of the wind and the purr of my V. Good luck and ride safely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode