Do I need a Power Commander... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do I need a Power Commander...

I've got about 700mi on my Versys and would like to do a slip on exhaust. I'm wondering if anybody knows if I need to put in a power commander as well if I get any after market exhaust? I'd rather not spend the extra $300 but if I must then I must. Please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have a Muzzy header and slip-on silencer, and it runs just fine without a Power Commander. I do use 91 octane, and I removed the secondary throttle plates. I also disactivated the air switching valve which is there to protect the cat by adding air to exhaust gases upon engine braking, but would cause exhaust popping with a slip-on.

Last edited by invader; 06-01-2008 at 03:46 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:28 PM

I do not have personal experience with this, but from what I have read you do not need a PC with a slip on. Some that did use a PC claimed they got more power, but you have to have the right maps for it or get it professionally mapped. So no you do not HAVE to have one.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:27 AM

With or without a slip-on, the stock fuel curve is typically lean at lower revs, and progressively too rich in the upper rev range. Idealy, you're looking for about 13.3:1 air to fuel ratio across the rev range at wide open throttle, and about 14.7:1 normal driving. Note the bottom line on the dynamometer chart depicting A/F ratio at WOT of a Ninja 650R with Arrow slip-on exhaust... A Power Commander enables you to correct A/F mixture for better low end tractability and torque, and for a slight increase in maximum power, for any stock or modified setup, with available maps or custom dyno map.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xfuel.jpg (57.1 KB, 972 views)

Last edited by invader; 06-12-2008 at 03:51 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 06:16 PM

i like my power commander OK,,,about this poping.....mine pops, i do not need this valve? wheres it at? what about the throttle plates, did that give you more power? what are thier purposes?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:08 AM

You don't need the PAIR (Pulsed Air Induction Reed Valve) if you don't have the stock muffler/catalytic converter. The two wires that power the PAIR have to be connected together, or remain connected to PAIR to avoid triggering a trouble code (easily erasable) and the 'FI' light. PAIR sits on front of airbox with a hose coming from airbox, and a hose to a cover on top of engine head. There are different ways to plug the airbox and inlet on the head. I made a cover for the head with 1/4" aluminum plate and plugged the airbox with Permatex black silicone sealant/adhesive.

Sub-throttle plates smooth throttle response by opening slower than the main throttle plates. That's all I'm aware of... Here's a pic with the plates still in and with the PAIR and hoses visible. Second pic is with sub-throttle plates removed.

http://www.fortycaliber.org/ (Click on 'Sub-Throttle Plate Removal' in 'How To' on the left, then scroll for PAIR info.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ztbs.jpg (67.1 KB, 1483 views)
File Type: jpg zdstp.jpg (58.8 KB, 1313 views)

Last edited by invader; 06-02-2008 at 02:11 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 11:03 PM

Ah the infamous "PAIR" valves. I removed the entire system and blocked off the injection ports on my Honda ST1100. Removed all deceleration popping and gave me piece of mind. There were no rebuild kits and my PAIR valves were not working right. $125 a pop for the valves.

Red
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
FJS

I added the Arrow full system and BMC airfilter and definitely no need for a PCIII, I'm not going to add it; the power gains I got with this setup is awsome. Oh, no other mods and no popping or anything, she runs great and very fuel efficient.

Frank
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 07:01 PM

My bike is running so good with the PCIII that I'm afraid to change anything. Always starts first time no matter what the weather, smooth and plenty of power.

My only complaint is the less mpg, but I can live with that unless gas goes to $10 a gallon.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 03:28 PM

I too really like my PCIII. I have removed the sub-throttle valves, debaffled the airbox, added a DNA air filter, PCIII, and done a muffler mod like 08versys' with the turbo muffler. The system runs great, then I reprogrammed the PCIII with the akropovic slip-on fuel map (from the powercommander web page)and the bike was transformed! I completely love the bike. Fuel usage did increase some. I now only get 45mpg, but it doesn't change much with light or heavy throttle.

I plan on getting a header of some sort and eventually having the bike dynotuned for a little more power.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 06:11 PM

Anyone had a dynotune with the pcIII, new filter and a Two Bro's exhaust? Seems like we all might be able to swap some .map files and save some $$$$$$$.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 AM

i have the map for my bike that i just had dyno tuned.... two bros.... bmc air filter and a power commander..... you guys are welcome to it, tho each bike is different, it will defently get you in a better ball park..... now lets talk about compensation..... ahahhaha. if you have anything other than that i HIGHLY recomend having it dynoed, run WAY cleaner, better fuel economy, smoother power band, and more power, also i just like the idea a a well tuned machine
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:19 PM

Are there any other "guides" that show this? fortycaliber and ninja650 no longer exist so far as I can tell.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myorangecamaro View Post
i have the map for my bike that i just had dyno tuned.... two bros.... bmc air filter and a power commander..... you guys are welcome to it, tho each bike is different, it will defently get you in a better ball park..... now lets talk about compensation..... ahahhaha. if you have anything other than that i HIGHLY recomend having it dynoed, run WAY cleaner, better fuel economy, smoother power band, and more power, also i just like the idea a a well tuned machine
+1 on the Dyno-tuning. I have Full Arrow system, BMC air filter, PC3 and love it. Here is a link to the Power Commander Thread. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ower+commander

P.S. I have posted my map from my Dyno tuning session.
Attached Files
File Type: djm dyno final.djm (3.9 KB, 432 views)

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
Anyone had a dynotune with the pcIII, new filter and a Two Bro's exhaust? Seems like we all might be able to swap some .map files and save some $$$$$$$.
Bob,
I think you may be talking about the "Autotune" module. This will only work in conjunction with the Power Commander V. The map file type is different on the Power Commander III. (note: Just reread and I now think you mean having your bike Dyno tuned and getting those maps).

I still believe the PC-V/Autotune is the hot setup as it will continuously revise the map according to your riding style and location. Do a search, "TTPete" on the forum has some good info on installation and adjustment of the PC-V.

The price for a PC-V is virtually identical to the III and the Autotune can be had for $200. I paid $470 shipped for the pair. I added a Leo Vince can for $300 to complete the system.The local Kaw dealer wanted $250 for dyno time, so it was kind of a "duhh" moment. Now I never have to let someone of unknown skill mess with my bike.

Glad to share the PC-V map files, but I live at 5000 ft elevation, so the info probably wouldn't be that useful to anyone down below.

V-Zee

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 07-22-2010 at 09:34 AM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:22 PM

The PC-V with Autotune is the way to go. I use a Leo Vince exhaust because it comes with the O2 sensor bung installed. All you need to do with the PAIR system is to pull the hose off the airbox and shove a plug in it, then reconnect the hose. If you decide to go with this, PM me and I'll walk you through the setup and computer stuff.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
All you need to do with the PAIR system is to pull the hose off the airbox and shove a plug in it, then reconnect the hose.
This is EXACTLY what I did. You can reach in under the tank from the left side of the bike, remove the hose, insert plug, and reconnect hose. There is no need to remove the tank, airbox, or absolutely anything for that matter. I used a male aluminim cap plug that was originally made for a hose fitting. I may take some pics and post em later.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
I'm almost there Bob! I got the Two Bros. can last week (you can hear me from Sultan I'm sure!) and a PCIII may be soon...... just for the fine tuning and smoothing out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in