Brake Pads? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Brake Pads?

I'd like to change brake pads front and rear on my 2008 to something less wooden and with more feel. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Heres what i went to..

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900028972

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900028973

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900028963

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I went with EBC HH sintered metalic pads. They are less suddenly grippy than the stock pads but easier to modulate at the limit. Basically they are more linear, wrt lever pressure, than the stock pads in the resistance they provide. You may need slightly more lever pressure than the stock pads at the braking limit but are easier to keep the wheel from accidentally locking up and precisely control braking force with the lever. I have never experienced brake fade with them.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:09 PM

I got the R version (vesrah RJL pads) in front. Best shipped price I found was on www.kurveygirl.com. I placed my order on a Saturday, got a notification they had shipped the same day, and the pads arrived on Monday. I was impressed with the service. I was also impressed with the pads.

Can't compare them vs Vesrah JL pads or EBC HH pads, but I much prefer them to the OEM Tokico pads. With the OEM pads it felt like I had to pull way too hard get hard braking from them. Initial bite is better on the RJL. Feel seems fine to me. They're quieter too, but it looked like the OEM pads might have been installed without grease, and the occasional squeal never bothered me enough to fix it.

I still have the OEM pads in back. For that application they seem fine to me.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
I got the R version (vesrah RJL pads) in front. Best shipped price I found was on www.kurveygirl.com. I placed my order on a Saturday, got a notification they had shipped the same day, and the pads arrived on Monday. I was impressed with the service. I was also impressed with the pads.

Can't compare them vs Vesrah JL pads or EBC HH pads, but I much prefer them to the OEM Tokico pads. With the OEM pads it felt like I had to pull way too hard get hard braking from them. Initial bite is better on the RJL. Feel seems fine to me. They're quieter too, but it looked like the OEM pads might have been installed without grease, and the occasional squeal never bothered me enough to fix it.

I still have the OEM pads in back. For that application they seem fine to me.
I know the kurvetgirl owners personally as my son used to race with them before his job took him to the D.C. area.

They are great folks and always went out of their way to help any of the racers.

I have bought a few things from them and always got super service even before I told them who I was.

It's those small businesses like this one that should remind us that always searching for the lowest price does not make the best decision for everything we buy.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyOne View Post
...It's those small businesses like this one that should remind us that always searching for the lowest price does not make the best decision for everything we buy.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Hah... Good to hear about the obvious improvement with Vesrah pads... I had already put Vesrah pads on my new Versys for some reason, without ever trying the stock Tokico pads which are also HH but of a visibly very different compound.

Front Left: http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-p/4169902.htm

Front Right: http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-p/4177039.htm

(Rear): http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-p/4169912.htm

Vesrah (Japan) Brake pad listing: http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/list/street_brake.asp
:::::

Quote:
Vesrah also has racing brake pads available in RJL, SRJL 17, and SRJL 8 compounds, as listed for EX-650 (#VD-354).

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_56.htm

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_42.htm

I like my Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid as well, by the way.

http://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/77
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 PM

I got the RJL's from Kurveygirl too, I highly recommend her. The brakes are better, not great like my race bike but certainly better. I'm used to one or two finger braking and not much effort on the race bike.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Kurveygirl rocks!!!

I also have Vesrah RJL. I like the pads a lot, I also have them on my trackbike. I got mine this time around from Street & Comp, another great place to deal with.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 PM

The dealer I'm servicing at claims Vesrah is a lower end product, compared with EBC (which he's selling). I'm definitely interested in hearing your opinion (the pads I have on came with the bike and are in good shape, but I'm not sure what brand they are - and now that I installed the Galfer braided brakelines, I think I'm ready for better pads).

Thanks
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 PM

Well, there's your answer. He sells EBCs. They're fine, too, I hear, but Vesrah are not lower end product.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShaq View Post
The dealer I'm servicing at claims Vesrah is a lower end product, compared with EBC (which he's selling). I'm definitely interested in hearing your opinion (the pads I have on came with the bike and are in good shape, but I'm not sure what brand they are - and now that I installed the Galfer braided brakelines, I think I'm ready for better pads).

Thanks

suprised he didn't throw in if they were better i'd be selling them.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 10:50 PM

Makes sense (and appreciated , however I'm looking for a fair comparison between the two brands from any rider who's had experience with both.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 AM

BRP:

"The old EBC HH's were junk. Problem was the backing plate transferring heat to the pistons. Lots of warp. From the input I have received, the (EBC) EXP's stop every bit as well as the (Vesrah) RJL's and last longer."

http://www.brp650forum.com/phpbb3/vi...t=2319&start=0
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
BRP:

"The old EBC HH's were junk. Problem was the backing plate transferring heat to the pistons. Lots of warp. From the input I have received, the (EBC) EXP's stop every bit as well as the (Vesrah) RJL's and last longer."

EBC's didn't work as well for me on the race track. The EBC extreme's were Ok, but I've always preferred the vesrah's both for feel and longevity. I stopped using the old EBC's as I was warping the pads. The versys is my first street bike in 10 years. All my miles for the past 10 years have been on the track racing and teaching at track days.

Need to go work on the versys brakes some more. Still takes more effort than I like to stop quickly. I've got a spare brembo MC maybe I should give that a try.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 PM

I still love my Vesrah VD pads... I cured the front lever mushiness by expelling the air that was trapped in the left to right hose that goes over the fender, with the calipers removed to tap the bubbles free in positions to allow air to escape up to the maste and bled at the caliper bleed fittings. Huge difference in feedback, and much reduced lever travel. I used to be able to touch the hand grip with it.

Last edited by invader; 07-14-2013 at 01:25 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
BRP:

I have nothing to compare the EBC pads to except the stockers but they are a big improvement on them. They don't make a product called EXP although they make a product called EPFA Sintered for track/street use and GPFA for track use only.

http://ebcbrakes.com/products/brake-type/
http://ebcbrakes.com/brakes-selector-chart/

In reality I don't think anyone will be riding their Versys on the street in a way that will require the head cycling capability of track pads.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-14-2013 at 01:34 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:59 PM

brake pad compounds and disc material has a lot to do with their performance and longetivity. Race compounds have to be up to working temperature do be effective and driving conditions will have a lot to do with how any brakes will perform. Do not evaluate them by x is great and y is bad.. you may be comparing apples and oranges as the saying goes. Use a compound recommended for your driving style imo. Believe it or not, I'm a firm believer in oem brand on stock rotors because the manufacturer has probably done a lot of R+D on them and has made the best compromise. Use race pads with race rotors of the same brand also imo. just my two bits
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsshooter View Post
EBC's didn't work as well for me on the race track. The EBC extreme's were Ok, but I've always preferred the vesrah's both for feel and longevity. I stopped using the old EBC's as I was warping the pads. The versys is my first street bike in 10 years. All my miles for the past 10 years have been on the track racing and teaching at track days.

Need to go work on the versys brakes some more. Still takes more effort than I like to stop quickly. I've got a spare brembo MC maybe I should give that a try.
Let me know what you come up with! I ride the track a lot (trackdays, no racing) and am also used to 4-pot calipers that work so much better than the Versys. The steel lines and Vesrah RJLs have helped. With the Versys' 2-piston calipers, would a Brembo 19x18 work, or would the smaller 15 Brembo be required?

What tracks do you ride? I'm in NJ, so it's mostly NJ motorsports park, Summit Point, and BeaveRun for me, although I've traveled to many others.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 04:36 PM

The marginal front brakes have been discussed on a number of threads over the past several years.

See link for the modification I performed on my 2008 V.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=13904&page=6

Post#110

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.

Last edited by Ziggy; 07-14-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode