Stainless brake lines? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stainless brake lines?

http://www.allbikebrakes.com

These guys list three different brake lines that work on the Versys.

Galfer...front and rear are $147.00

HEL...front and rear are $145.73

A.B.B....front and rear $111.49

The ABB are I believe a house brand line that is desribed as...

A.B.B Brake Line KITS are made with Dupont Teflon Steel braided Hose. There are 16 braided lines of steel around the inner section, making the line expansion close to zero under all conditions. A.B.B Brake hose meets or exceeds the following tests and requirements: SAEJ 1401, UNE 26-399-89, ISO 3996. Temperature range : -67/ +464(f). Braking power, A.B.B Brake lines will require less pressure at the brake lever to stop the bike, allowing the rider to use less force and stop faster. A.B.B Brake Lines are available in multiple colors.

Anyone order any of these three brands? The ABB lines seem like a pretty decent deal. The ABB have only been on their site since February.

I haven't ridden a bike with stainless lines. My only complaint with the Versys brakes are feel related. The rear seems wooden, and the front seems to need a lot of pull before they get working. They are effective, but need a good amount of force on the lever. What are others experiences with line upgrades?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitmind View Post
http://www.allbikebrakes.com

These guys list three different brake lines that work on the Versys.

Galfer...front and rear are $147.00

HEL...front and rear are $145.73

A.B.B....front and rear $111.49

The ABB are I believe a house brand line that is desribed as...

A.B.B Brake Line KITS are made with Dupont Teflon Steel braided Hose. There are 16 braided lines of steel around the inner section, making the line expansion close to zero under all conditions. A.B.B Brake hose meets or exceeds the following tests and requirements: SAEJ 1401, UNE 26-399-89, ISO 3996. Temperature range : -67/ +464(f). Braking power, A.B.B Brake lines will require less pressure at the brake lever to stop the bike, allowing the rider to use less force and stop faster. A.B.B Brake Lines are available in multiple colors.

Anyone order any of these three brands? The ABB lines seem like a pretty decent deal. The ABB have only been on their site since February.

I haven't ridden a bike with stainless lines. My only complaint with the Versys brakes are feel related. The rear seems wooden, and the front seems to need a lot of pull before they get working. They are effective, but need a good amount of force on the lever. What are others experiences with line upgrades?
I usually buy plastic covered hose by the foot and stainless fitiings from Earl's and assemble the lines myself. It's not difficult at all. For the Versys, I'd run two hoses from the master cylinder by swapping the long banjo bolt from the right caliper up to the master cylinder and stacking the banjos there, and running the two hoses down to their respective calipers. The stock setup with the short jumper looks like it would be a nightmare to bleed properly.

You can always try different compound pads to alter the braking characteristics.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 07:00 PM

I went with Goodridge braided lines http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/en/bl...ines_650R.html and Ferodo Sintered Pads http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/en/bl...inja_650r.html and it made a huge Difference in the feel of the Brakes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oxman; 04-23-2009 at 07:06 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Oxman. Their price seems to be best as they ship free within Canada. How challenging was the install or did you get a mechanic to take care of it?

Last edited by splitmind; 04-23-2009 at 09:11 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitmind View Post
Thanks Oxman. Their price seems to be best as they ship free within Canada. How challenging was the install or did you get a mechanic to take care of it?
Its a pretty straight forward process , if you are the least bit mechanicly inclined . just make sure you don't get brake Fluid all over the brake pads or on any painted surface, in others words use lots a rags to soak up fluid from the disconnected lines. I ran two lines from the master to each front caliper instead of using the stock crossover setup.
If you have any questions re, the brake lines just drop Tony @ Bluestreak a note [email protected] or By phone: 519 878 9866 as he is Great to deal with . Just tell him that Brian From Alberta sent ya and he will look after ya .

good luck :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode