Kappa K33 initial impressions. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kappa K33 initial impressions.

I got my Kappa bags today! (One day early)

Kappa is basically the stripped down version of Givi.

My bike came with the givi Plx frames, so I bought the Kappa's $120 cheaper, and I'll put some conspicuity tape on them for safety purposes.

The quality of plastic is same as givi, and fit nicely on the frames.

The use the monokey system and came with 3 (THREE) keys!!
I havnt done any major miles yet, but I'll update them after I do a few rides. ImageUploadedByMO Free1371662981.129512.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1371662991.375957.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Colorado State University: Wildlife and Fishery Biology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 PM

Very nice. Where did you get them? I ask because I thought Kappas were not sold in the U. S.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
Very nice. Where did you get them? I ask because I thought Kappas were not sold in the U. S.
Tour and Ride is the American distributor, I bought them from Tour&Ride through Amazon.com

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:30 PM

Sweet!

Search Amazon for "Kappa Motorcycle Luggage"...

http://www.amazon.com/Kappa-Moto-K33N-Monokey-Saddlebags/dp/B007TW9508/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1371667087&sr=8-18&keywords=kappa+motorcycle+luggage

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 06-19-2013 at 02:40 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

^That's it! They feel good on the bike, and are bigger than I thought.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Went on a 200ish mile ride today, the bags were solid, they ride pretty good, I have the rear spring on the stiffest position and it rides pretty good even in the occasional cruddy mountain road.

On a side note, got a new tent the other day

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Colorado State University: Wildlife and Fishery Biology.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 01:21 PM

Hi everyone,

After reading this thread, I'm set on purchasing the monolock K33's as I like the subtle look and that they're cheaper than the Givi's.

That being said, can someone shed some light on the mounting hardware? I'm overwhelmed with all the options. Please note, I'm not interested in a top rack as I plan to have my Kriega US20 fulfill that role.

For example, to me, this one seems like the best deal, the GIVI KLX447: http://www.amazon.com/KLX447-SIDECASE-HARDWARE-Kawasaki-Versys/dp/B00OKLLBD0/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t
But then I go ahead and hop on kappa's website and find that their kit (KLXR450 )requires removal of turn signals: http://www.kappamoto.com/My-motorcyc...14&ma=KAWASAKI

Finally, on twisted throttle there's two options: The GIVI PLR450 (just ten more bucks than the KLX447) and the moto tech contour carrier for GIVI 35 (Which I have read are basically interchangeable with the kappa k33's): http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...+for+Sidecases

My bike is the 2012 Versys with the rear fender eliminator kit from yoshimura.

I just want a simple bolt on rack with no need to move turn signals or anything around. Any help in helping me determine which one I should go with is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Conrad
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 05:08 PM

I have the Motechs on my 2012 and you still need to relocate the turn signals OR risk them bang into the cases and being block so people can't see them. But it doesn't look bad and only moves them about 3-4"

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 03-21-2015 at 05:12 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I have the Motechs on my 2012 and you still need to relocate the turn signals OR risk them bang into the cases and being block so people can't see them. But it doesn't look bad and only moves them about 3-4"

Wow! Your bike looks solid as a rock. Nice bags.

(I guess washing and waxing the bike helps too)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Wow! Your bike looks solid as a rock. Nice bags.

(I guess washing and waxing the bike helps too)
UMM It was brand spanking new then now it needs a wash and wax job badly...but it's been a blast to get dirty!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 12:11 AM

Garage
I moved my turn signals initially but because they still rubbed on the panniers replaced them with this

I also got a spare lock with my panniers so I replaced the lock in my Kappa top box so the panniers and top box all ise the same key
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 08:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Hi everyone,

After reading this thread, I'm set on purchasing the monolock K33's as I like the subtle look and that they're cheaper than the Givi's.

That being said, can someone shed some light on the mounting hardware? I'm overwhelmed with all the options. Please note, I'm not interested in a top rack as I plan to have my Kriega US20 fulfill that role.

For example, to me, this one seems like the best deal, the GIVI KLX447: http://www.amazon.com/KLX447-SIDECAS..._cd_al_qh_dp_t

But then I go ahead and hop on kappa's website and find that their kit (KLXR450 )requires removal of turn signals: http://www.kappamoto.com/My-motorcyc...14&ma=KAWASAKI

Finally, on twisted throttle there's two options: The GIVI PLR450 (just ten more bucks than the KLX447) and the moto tech contour carrier for GIVI 35 (Which I have read are basically interchangeable with the kappa k33's): http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...+for+Sidecases

My bike is the 2012 Versys with the rear fender eliminator kit from yoshimura.

I just want a simple bolt on rack with no need to move turn signals or anything around. Any help in helping me determine which one I should go with is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Conrad
I noticed the KLX447 you have linked from Amazon is for a 1st Gen V. That's the model I have and I'm not sure if the racks are compatible between the 2 bikes.

Because all of the contour racks fit so nice and snug to the bike, I think you are going to have to move turn signals. I think the only examples I've seen on the forum for not moving turn signals are for some of the larger, wider racks that carry Trekker and Trax boxes. Seems to me that those don't always need re-location for turn signals on 2nd Gen bikes.

For what it's worth, the re-location job is very simple and I'm no mechanic. It also gets your signals in a place where they are better seen and there's no overstating the need to be seen out there.

The other option you may want to look at - if you really don't want to move signals - is a flat monokey rack. I can't say for sure you won't have to move the blinkers, you'll have to research that more, but it's possible. That rack - such as the Givi PLR450 tubular rack, will hold any one of a number of Kappa monokey cases. I have the Givi E21s, and Kappa K40s which I switch between on the same racks.

Good luck.

Always trust your cape.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 11:50 AM

Instead of relocating the stock signals, I think some people have also replaced the turn signals with a version that has a shorter stalk (KLR signals, maybe?). I'll see if I can find an example...

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

Looking at Kawdog's picture, it seems that with my eliminator kit, the signals shouldn't get in the way?

Here is a stock picture of the Yoshimura eliminator kit. Mine is set up exactly the same way: http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-coxd9/...00.600.jpg?c=2

What do you guys think?

Also, with the brackets that you all have, do all the various brackets require the rear fender to be there as a support? I noticed in the PDF on kappa's website for the KLXR that something is connected with the rear fender.

Thanks again,

Conrad
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Instead of relocating the stock signals, ...
OR

Admore lighting for the V35 case
(Something's wrong with the price ... I would have never paid that much for those led inserts ...)

Otherwise, a solution to the relocation on the turn signal but still be able to be visible

LOP
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
OR

Admore lighting for the V35 case
(Something's wrong with the price ... I would have never paid that much for those led inserts ...)
The Cdn dollar has dropped significantly in value over the past year. I suspect they price for what the US market will bear, and convert to Cdn using the current exchange rate. It's a bad time for Canucks to buy anything based in US dollars.

Edit: just checked. The Cdn price is $8 lower than the converted US price. I still am waiting for the dollar to climb before making any significant purchases.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 03-23-2015 at 06:21 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 12:58 AM

Garage
Why do my posts disappear when I'm helping out ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 10:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Why do my posts disappear when I'm helping out ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????
I see one of your post ... It's number 11

LOP
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
The Cdn dollar has dropped significantly in value over the past year. I suspect they price for what the US market will bear, and convert to Cdn using the current exchange rate. It's a bad time for Canucks to buy anything based in US dollars.

Edit: just checked. The Cdn price is $8 lower than the converted US price. I still am waiting for the dollar to climb before making any significant purchases.
Dave

I'm pretty sure (99%) that Admore lighting is a canadian company (Alberta I think)

Further more, I bought a set of those led for my v35 a while ago (let's say a year plus minus 6 months) and I absolutely didn't paid that kind of money, my gf would have me kill for that expense ... Heck, I would kill myself ...

For that price, I would expect a complete, brand new, OEM givi case with those led embeded

Something's fishy here ... I'll tried to find my bill for those led insert and post back the price I paid ... If I don't post again, it's because I did pay that amount and I killed myself ...

LOP
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 11:16 PM

They are a Canadian company. My post is just a guess, and their resellers are a bit cheaper. Maybe their costs are going up? Only they know...they make good stuff, though.

(Maybe posting under the influence of NyQuil is not a good idea...my thinking may not be too clear...)

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 03-24-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode